[MyAppleMenu] Jun 19, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 19 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Foxconn Sternly Denies iPod Sweatshop Claims
<http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060619A2007.html>
Kung Tien Huang and Rodney Chan, DigiTimes

Edmund Ding, spokesman for Foxconn -- a chief maker of iPods -- said there were huge discrepancies between the truth and the claims in the report, which he said seems like a vicious attack on the company.

*** Schools Pulling The Plug On Macs
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/baltimore_county/bal-md.co.computer19jun19,0,149888.story?coll=bal-local-headlines>
Liz F. Kay, Baltimore Sun

Balto. County to use only PCs; some say move will hurt design students.

*** 50 Cent Negotiating With Aple For Branded Line Of Home Computers
<http://www.allhiphop.com/hiphopnews/?ID=5798>
Nolan Strong, AllHipHop.com

Rap star 50 Cent is entering the world of technology and is currently in negotiations with Apple's CEO Steve Jobs to produce a line of affordable home computers to inner-city residents.

*** In An iPod World, Does Quality Matter Less?
<http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-0606170263jun18,1,5423282.story?coll=chi-entertainmentfront-hed>
Bob Gendron, Chicago Tribune

In a data-compressed era where instant gratification seems to trump fidelity at every turn, does quality still matter?

*** Two Point Conversions: Mac Shareware Numbers
<http://www.macuser.com/business/mac_shareware_conversion_rate.php>
Dan Moren, MacUser

*** Friend Or Foe?
<http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117945470?categoryid=13&cs=1>
Ben Fritz, Variety

Film exex want to tap into Jobs' savvy but worry about his growing clout.

[Opinion]

*** Let iTunes Be iTunes
<http://www.boston.com/business/personaltech/articles/2006/06/19/let_itunes_be_itunes/>
Boston Globe

If the copyright holders decide that they want songs to be moved freely between different brands of players, then so be it. Otherwise the protesters should focus on the sweatshop and leave the Apple music system alone.

[Review]

*** Making Presentation OmniDazzling
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@263.hijcbaVTk4i@.3c4f5c5c>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

[Sidetrack]

*** The Core Of The Big Cats
Heng-Cheong Leong

Why is Apple holding back the source code of the Mac OS X's kernel? This source code has always been open for all to see and use, until the shift to Intel.

John Siracusa has two theroies <http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/6/18/4366>: either there are major changes to the kernel in Leopard, so Apple doesn't bother with publishing the source code to Tiger's kernel, or there is a major change in the Macintosh platform strategy this coming WWDC.

I think the reason is a bit simpler: Apple might well be imitating Sun's StarOffice/OpenOffice.org strategy, which is only open-source the previous release, while close-sourcing the latest version as a competitive advantage.

Going this route will force Apple to, more or less, put in new development in the kernel for every major release of Mac OS X. Which may also be why Apple has moved from a 12-month to a 18-month cycle, while maintaining a 12-month cycle for the applications that sits on top of the operating system (i.e., iLife and iWork.)

But, nevertheless, be prepared come August.

*** Library Phone Answerers Survive The Internet
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/nyregion/19answer.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Anthony Ramirez, New York Times

*** The Search Engine Is King
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/search/story/0,,1800731,00.html>
Peter Preston, The Guardian

If you want to get hits, you have to provide simple targets.

*** To Charge Up Customers, Put Customers In Charge
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/18/business/yourmoney/18mgmt.html?ei=5088&en=f866d607761f1a8c&ex=1308283200&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1150679157-uxGsV+EoMrX1w7JYzFHX6w>
William C. Taylor, New York Times

*** My History Of Slate
<http://www.slate.com/id/2143232/>
Michael Kinsley, Slate

The magazine I dreamed of starting was a newsmagazine. On paper, on the Web, painted on the walls of caves -- I didn't care. My theory was that Time and Newsweek had bascially abandoned their mission.

[Ramblings]

*** The Kia-Si State Of Mind
Heng-Cheong Leong

In Singapore, we have this state of mind: if I give out this little advantage, and everyone starts to take advantage of me, I'll die.

And that's why we often punish the innocents so that the one guilty person doesn't get away with it.

A.k.a. red-tape <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/125310.asp>.

[News]

*** Sporting Agree To Pay Players More, Offer Better Accomodation And Meals
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/125349.asp>
Jose Raymond, Today

*** Government Stands Clear Of Singapore Rights Dispute
<http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=15475&cid=8&cname=News>
Marie McNicholas, National Business Review

New Zealand is opting to keep out of a freedom of speech dispute in Singapore, with Prime Minister Helen Clark passing up a chance to raise the matter with her Singaporean counterpart during his official visit to Wellington.

*** RI Halts Sand Exports To Singapore
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20060619.H03&irec=5>
Jarkarta Post

Indonesia has moved to freeze exports of sea sand to Singapore, long a lucrative business sen as endangering not only the environment but also tiny islands off the eastern coast of Sumatra.

*** Singapore PM Calls Political Rival "A Liar And A Cheat"
<http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/latest/200606191700/1c864c5c>
Radio New Zealand

*** Singapore PM Defends Island's Democratic Freedoms During New Zealand Visit
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/6/19/apworld/20060619114639&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong on Monday argued that his tightly controlled island state enjoys political freedom, saying his government has no reason to restrict democratic rights.

*** Singaporean PM Arrives At Parliament
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3705419a11,00.html>
New Zealand Stuff

*** New Airport Seen As Regional Contender
<http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/06/19/business/business_30006746.php>
Yap Lih Huey, The Nation

When Thailand unveils its new airport, Suvarnabhumi, towards the end of the year, it is expected to give Singapore's Changi Airport a run for its money.

[Opinion]

*** Singaore Void Deck Beatup Video Clip: The Blindspot Of Stomp.com.sg?
<http://www.justinlee.name/2006/06/17/singapore-void-deck-beatup-video-clip-the-blindspot-of-stompcomsg/>
Justin Lee

*** Singapore: Place Or Nation?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:2744bc73497eb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Linda Lim, Straits Times

What makes a country a home? Is it emotional ties or purely economic self-interest?

*** Have An Open Mind
<http://poeticminds.blogspot.com/2006/06/have-open-mind.html>
Mark Anderson, Blogging My Mind

Dr Mahathir did not want a full bridge. He wanted a half-bridge.

*** Disabled Parking Out Of Reach
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/125310.asp>
Joseph Phua Eng Kim, Today

Red tape and strange requirements for parking labels immobilise disabled.

[Entertainment]

*** Much Ado In Singapore
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Monday/Features/20060618141334/Article/index_html>
Shuib Taib, New Straits Times

There's an unmistakable air of anticipation and vigour over the ongoing Singapore Arts Festival.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]