[MyAppleMenu] Jun 13, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jun 13 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Needham & Co Predicts Mac Market Explosion
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=14934&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Apple Expands 'Get A Mac' Ad Campaign
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/13/getamac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Landmarks Panel Cool To Apple Plans
<http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/portland_news/115016552981830.xml&coll=7>
Fred Leeson, The Oregonian

Plans for a sleek-looking Apple store in a Northwest Portland historic district received an icy reception on Monday from the city's Historic Landmarks Commission, whose chairman criticized it as "franchise architecture."

*** Judging Apple Sweatshop Charge
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71138-0.html?tw=wn_technology_3>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

The situation is too murky for a rush to judgment on Apple's ethics here, and it may well meet minimum global standards. But for a company that has staked its image on progressive politics, Apple has set itself up as a potential lightning rod on global labor standards.

*** Closure Of Apple's Bangalore Centre Sparks BPO Debate
<http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1719208,00020021.htm>
Hindustan Times

Global iPod major and computer maker Apple Computers' decision to shut down its new Bangalore centre has sparked an introspection in the Indian BPO industry, which however, for now has shrugged off the move as a one off incident.

*** Mac Sales Strong In The UK And Western Europe
<http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mac-Sales-Strong-In-The-UK-and-Western-Europe-26301.shtml>
Victor Mihailescu, Softpedia

*** MacBooks Looking Skanky
<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/macbooks-looking-skanky-179985.php>
Gizmodo

*** White MacBook Faster Than More Expensive Black MacBook?
<http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/white-macbook-faster-than-more-expensive-black-macbook-180147.php>
Gizmodo

*** Mate Master: Allan Odgaard
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/06/mate_master_allan_odgaard_1.html>
Joshua Scott Emmons, O'Reilly Network

Allan is the lead- and sole-deveoper of TextMate, a very highly rated text editor for OS X.

*** Google Releases SketchUp For Mac OS X
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/06/12/google-releases-sketchup-for-mac-os-x/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** Apple Today Takes The MS Pain Away
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/perspectives/apple-today-takes-the-ms-pain-away/2006/06/12/1149964442162.html>
Graeme Philipson, Sydney Morning Herald

In a move that will delight many readers of this column, I am taking the plunge and going Apple Macintosh.

*** A Long Night Of iMovie Editing
<http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=67>
David Pogue, New York Times

In my heart, I knew what the problem was: I was stuffing ten pounds of movie into a five-pound bag.

*** Get A Mac. Get A Life.
<http://mtsix.com/articles/2006/06/get-a-mac-get-a-life.html>
Oliver Zheng

I don't think I'm the only one not pleased with Apple's attitude.

*** Why I Didn't Buy An Intel Mac
<http://annregentin.blogspot.com/2006/06/why-i-didnt-buy-intel-mac.html>
Ann Regentin

I think Aple is losing ground with the very machine that should have gained it, and I think their attitude toward the problem is the problem.

*** What Is Really Up With Apple...?
<http://www.walkinyourtalk.com/?p=233>
Walkin' Your Talk

[Review]

*** MacBook Is A Lot For The Money
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/3963733.html>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

*** iWeb Takes On The Competition
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08560>
Steve Sande, TidBITS

[Sidetrack]

*** The Only Computer You'll Ever Need
Heng-Cheong Leong

Whoa! Apple is advertising Boot Camp, the still-in-beta product? That's, well, interesting.

If I am reading my crystal ball correctly, Apple might well be releasing the next version of OS X this August at WWDC.

*** Don't Cry For Me
Heng-Cheong Leong

When Microsoft employees leave for Google -- one of Microsoft's biggest competitor, the CEO throws a chair. But when Microsoft employees leave for a startup company, the chairman weeps with joy <http://www.flickr.com/photos/scriptingnews/166088283/>. Go forth and create, Bill cries, and make this a better world.

Just make sure you use IIS instead of Apache, okay?

:-)

[Wintel]

*** Backdoors, Bots Biggest Threats To Windows
<http://www.informationweek.com/security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400457&subSection=Viruses+and+Patches>
Gregg Keizer, TechWeb

*** Inside The Crisis Of A Valley Giant
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/14801593.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Dean Takahashi, San Jose Mercury News

Even giants can stumble. Intel, the technology industry icon that for decades has fueled Silicon Valley's reputation as the center of innovation, is in a crisis.

[Tech & Science]

*** Wo Belongs In The Zoo?
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1202920,00.html>
Michael D. Lemonick, Time

It may be that some animals just can't be kept humanely in captivity. Zoos may have to reinvent themselves -- once again.

[Life]

*** The Mystique Of Monarchy
<http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazine/article/0,13673,501060619-1202985,00.html>
Pico Iyer, Time

Thailand's King Bhumibol offers powerful proof that royalty is still relevant.

[Expressions]

*** Accident Brief
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060619fi_fiction>
Karen Russell, New Yorker

*** The Ground That Mayors Tread
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/124086.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

[Opinion]

*** Review And Amend Rules On Entrapment To Address Fears About Misuse Of Police Authority
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:a87bbfe6c67cb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Tham Li Jing, Straits Times

*** PAP Policy Belies 'Staying Together, Moving Ahead'
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:54ca8c3a86acb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Sylvia Lim Swee Lian, Workers' Party, Straits Times

*** Ruling Party's Fiduciary Duty Is To All Singapoeans
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:b4ea8c3a86acb010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Basant K. Kapur, Straits Times

*** Smile For The IMF!
<http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2006/06/smile-for-imf.html>
Jeffrey Yen

I mean, it's so... manufactured, isn't it?

*** The Most Absurd Policy I Had Ever Seen
<http://disgruntledsporean.blogspot.com/2006/06/most-absurd-policy-i-had-ever-seen.html>
Useless Rantings Of A Few Disgruntled S'poreans...

If opposition wards can provide lift upgrading for free to their residents, why does PAP wanna stop them from doing it?

*** Another Singapore Campaign
<http://2vamp.blogspot.com/2006/06/another-singaporean-camapign.html>
Fiona Hogan, V's Spot

A mural from the country's heart might be an interesting way to welcome an international crowd.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]