[MyAppleMenu] Jul 29, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 29 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Parts Of French 'IPod Law' Struck Down
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/28/business/28cnd-music.html?ex=1311739200&en=a4590cf789d399fb&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Thomas Crampton, International Herald Tribune

The French Constitutional Council has declared major aspects of the so-called iPod law unconstitutional, undermining some controversial aspects of the legislation.

*** Jamie Lidell: Controlled Collisions
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/lidell/>
Dustin Driver, Apple

*** Induquimica Laboratorios: Streamlining The Business Of Science
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/induquimica/>
Frank Lacombe, Apple

"Today's future-looking biotech business opportunities require vastly more in the way of computational resources. The more we studied our strategic needs, the better we liked what we saw in the UNIX-based Mac platform."

*** Apple Denies 'Four Years' iPod Report, Clarifies 'For Years'
<http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/8303/>
Larry Angell, iLounge

Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris said she told the Chicago Tribune reporter that the iPod was designed to last "for years" -- not "four years."

[Opinion]

*** Is A 'Perfect Storm' Of Mac Sales On The Horizon?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1995591,00.asp?kc=EWEWEMNL072406EPW3>
David Morgenstern, eWeek

With all the buzz around thin clients, Microsoft execs are trying to find targets for thicker installations of Windows Vista. Maybe they should take a look at how Apple has executed on its thick computing strategy, and the resulting bonanza of upgrade sales.

[World]

*** We'll Jolly Well Say What We Want To
<http://www.economist.com/world/asia/displaystory.cfm?story_id=7226184>
The Economist

Against expectations, China's media are taking free speech seriously.

[Tech & Science]

*** Multiple Choice
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/845818e2-1d38-11db-bf06-0000779e2340.html>
Tim Harford, Financial Times

It might seem strange for an economist to offer even these obvious opinions on military strategy, but economists have been armchair generals since the development in the 1940s of game theory by John Von Neumann, a mathematician, and Oskar Morgenstern, an economist.

*** Taiwan Political Figures Blogs; Singapore Reporters Curious
<http://www.ettoday.com/2006/07/28/301-1971537.htm>
ETToday

[Opinion]

*** Will Bus Operators Pass On Fines?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:0071c797095bc010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Ang Eng Hwa, Straits Times