[MyAppleMenu] Jul 15, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 15 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Apple's MacBook: Hot Enough To Fry An Egg
<http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2006/07/apples_macbook.html>
Thomas Claburn, InformationWeek

*** Any Way You Slice It, Apple Store Is Cool
<http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/living/style/15040247.htm>
Linda Matchan, Boston Globe

Manhattan store sets standard for uniting design and product.

*** Device To Play iPods Over FM Radio In Cars Set To be Legalised
<http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article1178601.ece>
Louise Barnett, Independent

Gadgets such as the iTrip, which plugs into MP3 players and connect them wirelessly to radios, are set to become legal in the UK.

*** Keeping iPod Humming Along
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB115291714677107410-itL__SL9ARtx3Nt43KP57plV804_20070714.html?mod=rss_free>
Nick Wingfield, Wall Street Journal

On Wednesday, when Apple reports fiscal third-quarter earnings, Apple watchers are likly to home in like bloodhounds on the number of iPods the company sold, looking for any scent of weakness. There will be even more scrutiny of Apple's moves int he next month or so, when it's expected to talk about new products that could help it continue its growth streak.

[Opinion]

*** Textual Harassment
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/07/messagingsoftware/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Ever wonder how you could maximally harass a Mac user with a minimal amount of effort? If that person is an iChat user, it's really quite simple: Just add that person's ichat ID to the Buddy List of a Mac in an Apple Retail Store.

*** iPods In The Woods
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/07/lair/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

If I had to estimate, I'd say that there was at least one iPod in every single tent cabin at the Lair.

[Sidetrack]

*** Let's Have Less Innovation, Microsoft
Heng-Cheong Leong

As repoted by CNET <http://news.com.com/2100-1012_3-6094481.html?part=rss&tag=6094481&subj=news>, Microsoft introduced a new feature for Windows, which allows customers to encrypt files.

And then Microsofft pulled the update -- cannot encrypt anymore.

Why?

Because business customers may "inevitably lose files" because they forget passwords, and IT "professionals" cannot recover these files for them.

And I have to click on the little clock menu item on my Mac to make sure it's not April 1st.

*** Rumor Today: Apple's Mac Pro To Sport Modified Power Mac Enclosure
Heng-Cheong Leong

But not too much modified <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1886>. Plus, the specs and prices!

*** "Let Click Fraud Happen"? Uh, No.
<http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/07/let-click-fraud-happen-uh-no.html>
Shuman Ghosemajumder, Google Blog

*** Cruel Lift hogs
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,110080,00.html>
New Paper

Sick woman rushed to ambulance on ground floor. Ugly Singaporeans squeeze in and make it stop on their floors.

*** Singapore Muzzles Blogger 'Mr Brown'
<http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2160392/singapore-blogger-suffers>
Simon Burns, IT Week

Stricter rules apply to mainstream media than to 'internet chatter', says minister.

*** Great Photo-Shoots In JB
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/15/southneast/20060715081229&sec=southneast>
Marsha Tan, Kenneth Wong, The Star

Like many Singaporeans, Jessica Chen and Henry Tan decided to have their photo-shoot in Johor because there were more choices and they were getting value for money, but they never expected it to be so much fun.

[Opinion]

*** Mahathir's Dilemna - Spilling Of The Beans!
<http://mahaguru58.blogspot.com/2006/07/mahathirs-dilemna-spilling-of-beans.html>
Mahaguru58

*** The Two Faces Of Chee Soon Juan
<http://twostepsfromtwilight.wordpress.com/2006/07/15/the-two-faces-of-chee-soon-juan/>
Two Steps Frm Twilight

*** When The Puppet Speaks To The Master
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2006/yax-625.htm>
Yawningbread.org

If you're a senior editor who cares about the long-term health of the newspaper and Singapore's politics generally, this can't be a sensible position to be in. You must find a way to tell the top tier of the political elite so.