[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 2 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Falling Out Of Love With iPod?
<http://news.monstersandcritics.com/business/article_1177203.php/Falling_out_of_love_with_iPod>
UPI

Apple's iPod portable music player may be losing its luster among consumers, even in England, some analysts say.

[Opinion]

*** Canaries In The Mac OS X And Red Hat Coal Mines?
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/06/ubuntu_linux_a_threat_to_mac_o.html>
Tim O'Reilly, O'Rilly Radar

*** The Amazing Auto-Muting Headphone Jack
<http://www.macuser.com/tips/the_amazing_automuting_headpho.php>
Dan Moren, MacUser

When I pulg in my headphones, the volume icon in the menubar suddenly unmutes.

[Sidetrack]

*** Making Promises
Heng-Cheong Leong

If I am a shareware/freeware software developer, I will be very hesitant to publish any form of roadmap of what my software will become in years ahead. Sure, I'll probably aim to be transparent -- I'm fixing this bug, I'm adding that feature. But roadmap? Not really.

Why is that? Because I feel that as a user, I should always assume that there will not be a next versioin of the software. The software developer might die from a horrible accident. The development shop might close shop because somebody sued it for patent infringement. Or the earth might crash into the sun. If I work in an IT department, I should always plan for what I have now, rather from what I have in three years' time.

As such, I am really on two-sides regarding Apple's secrecy. I see nothing wrong, although I would very much like to see what's next in the iPod and MacBook world.

[Expressions]

*** Scrambled Eggs
<http://www.juked.com/2006/06/scrambledeggs.asp>
Paula Sfeir, juked

*** The Master Cutter's Wife
<http://www.thepoem.co.uk/limelight/greaves.htm>
Sandra Greaves, Limelight

*** Singapore Plans To Ease Air Services To Boost Growth At Changi
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a9SyoCgtB2Jo&refer=asia>
Bloomberg

Singapore plans to further liberalize air services agreements with China, India and countries within the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to preserve the city-state's status as a hub.

[Opinion]

*** Open Door To Vice And Heartbreak
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/2/focus/14708275&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

A series of high-profile passion killings in recent months invovling fiercely materialistic women from China and local married men has highlighted a growing social problem in Singapore.