[MyAppleMenu] Jan 26, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 26 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Ancient Flaws Leave OS X Vulnerable?
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Ancient_flaws_leave_OS_X_vulnerable_/0,2000061744,39234678,00.htm>
Munir Kotadia, ZDNet Australia

OS X contains unpatched security flaws of a type that were fixed on alternative operating system more than a decade ago, according to a security researcher credited with finding numerous bugs in Apple's increasingly popular platform.

*** Apple-Disney Link Could Spur Digital Shift
<http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20060125>
Brian Deagon, Investor's Business Daily

The deal could accelerate efforts to distribute Disney's content digitally -- something the major Hollywood studios have been slow to do.

*** Apple Seeing Strong Sales Of imac Core Duo, MacBook Pro
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1490>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Contrary to recent and unsubstantiated rumors, sales of Appel's new Intel-based iMac Core Duo desktops and MacBook Pro portables both appear to be strong, reports research and investment firm American Technology Research.

*** Jobs' New Disney Role Raises Conflict Concerns
<http://news.com.com/Jobs+new+Disney+role+raises+conflict+concerns/2100-1026_3-6031135.html?part=rss&tag=6031135&subj=news>
John Borland and Ina Fried, CNET News.com

*** Red Hat To Make Linux Run On Intel Macs
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060125-6045.html>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

[Opinion]

*** Intel Macs: Wait Or Buy Now?
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70086-0.html?tw=wn_tophead_4>
Pete Mortensen, Wired News

*** Apple's Tomorrowland
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060126_288313.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Sure, Pixar can help restore the Magic Kingdom's luster, but it's what Disney can do for Steve Jobs and his outfit that's more intriguing.

*** Robert Iger Vs. Steve Jobs
<http://www.slate.com/id/2134852/>
Daniel Gross, Slate

Only one man can control Disney. I know who I'm betting on.

*** Wired On Steve And Bill's Social Status
<http://theocacao.com/document.page/220>
Scott Stevenson, Theocacao

*** Don't Fear The Mouse
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/01/pixarreax/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

The circumstances surrounding the Apple-Next purchase and the Disney-Pixar one are not necessarily the same.

*** Why I Use A Mac
<http://lowendmac.com/martorana/06/0125.html>
John Martorana, Low End Mac

*** Steve Jobs -- Is He Worthy?
<http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2006/01/25/steve_jobs_is_he_worthy>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

My heroes -- most of them British punk singers from the seventies -- hated capitalists like Jobs. And in public at least, there's no sign he's anything but a captain of industry.

*** Best Time To Buy A New MacIntel
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/9099?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Best+Time+to+Buy+a+New+MacIntel>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

The CPU is import. But it's not my sole consideration for buying a new computer. I need the whole package. And that's when I'll make the leap.

[Review]

*** New Apple iMac Visually Stunning
<http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8FBUQJO1.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db>
Matthew Fordahl, Associated Press

Once again, the iMac is leading the way and, for now at least, in the right direction.

*** A Hands-OnLook At The New MacBook Pro
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,108051,00.html>
Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

I can tell you this laptop is fast. Really fast. I am hesitant to say it's exponentially faster than the G4 version, but subjectively this baby cooks.

*** OpenWeb 3.0: Open-Source Web Utility Package Makes It Easy To Set Up Your Server
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/reviews/openweb30/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Cranford Teague, Macworld

*** Keynote 3: Presentation Software Keeps Improving With Age
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/reviews/keynote3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Franklin Tessler, Macworld

Keynote 3 lets you do things that would have been difficult or impossible to do before. For many presenters, that's enough to justify the price.

*** Apple iPod Radio Remote
<http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2006/01/ipodfrmremote/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Playlist

The Apple product is the first to directly integrate the tuner's controls into the iPod's interface. The end result is an FM tuner that works very well, and yet adds almost no bulk to the wonderful compactness of today's iPods.

[Wintel]

*** The Bug In Microsoft's Ear
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060126_148049.htm>
Jay Greene, BusinessWeek

BusinessWeek has learned that Microsoft is working on plans to develop its own portable digital medi device to rival the iPod, rather than just providing technology to partners. Microsoft hasn't decided if it will go ahead. But sources inside the company and at its partners say Microsoft has put together a team that's considering the business end of such an initiative.

*** Big Risks Come In Small Packages
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70044-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Bruce Schneier, Wired News

Our digital devices have all gotten smaller, while at the same time they're carrying more and more sensitive information.

*** Economic Censorship Or Electronic Apartheid
<http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/ravinglunacy/2006/01/economic_censor.html>
Raving Lunacy

It may be time to seriously think about exactly what the internet is, and whether a critical look at legislation may be required to insure network neutrality.

*** Google In China: Degrees Of Evil
<http://rconversation.blogs.com/rconversation/2006/01/google_in_china.html>
Rebecca MacKinnon, RConversation

*** A Chinese New Year Resolution: This Is The Year I Will Rock That Wok
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002759692_taste25.html>
Nancy Leson, Seattle Times

To live surrounded by a world of Chinse ingredients, cooking implements and cookbooks in one thing. To create the complex flavors and intriguing textures that put Chiense food high on my list of favorites is another reality entirely.

*** Scene And Be Seen
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-investors25jan25,1,7612783.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
Corie Brown, Los Angeles Times

How to get ahead in show biz? Invest in a restaurant. Lately, everyone's doing it.

*** My Week As A Waiter
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/25/dining/25note.html?_r=1>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

Last week I traded places and swapped perspectives, a critic joining the criticized, to get a taste of what servers go through and what we put them through, of how they see and survive us.

*** Just Like Lao Lao Used To Make
<http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/01/25/just_like_lao_lao_used_to_make/>
Alison Arnett, Boston Globe

The world may be changing, but traditions are not. It's good luck to eat dumplings on the New Year, and you may have to do as the Chinese do: Eat out.

*** The Worst Word In The Language
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,24389-2003544,00.html>
Jeremy Clarkson, The Times

The worst word. The worst noise. The screech of Flo-Jo's fingernails down the biggest blackboard in the world, the squeak of polystyrene on polystyrene, the cry of a baby when you're hungover, is "beverage."

*** No Slur On Comunity Leaders, Says WP
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,367265,00.html?>
Low Thia Khiang, Workers' Party, Straits Times

For Singapore to thrive as a country and for us to build a vibrant society, it is time that the spirit of serving and sacrifice be liberated from political control.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** We Should Have Never Lived Like We Were Skyscrapers
<http://www.chinupchinup.com/music.php>
Chin Up Chin Up
<http://www.flameshovel.com/mp3/CUCU02-Skyscrapers.mp3>