[MyAppleMenu] Jan 16, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 16 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Golden Apple For Jobs
<http://www.sunherald.com/mld/charlotte/business/13606002.htm?channel=charlotte_business>
Jason Kelly and Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg

Jobs exchanged worthless options on a split-adjusted 55 million shares for 10 million shares of restricted stock three years ago. The shares, the 50-year-old's entire stake in Apple,v est in March. Right now, they are valued at $808.6 million.

*** Michael Dell Should Eat His Words, Apple Chief Suggests
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/16/technology/16apple.html?ex=1295067600&en=e2c5c5d24bb1547f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Markoff, New York Times

"Team, it turned out that Michael Dell wasn't perfect at predicting the future. Based on today's stock market close, Apple is worth more than Dell. Stocks go up and down, and things may be different tomorrow, but I thought it was worth a moment of reflection today. Steve."

*** Bringing You Books On Podcast
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-fi-technopolis15jan15,0,5325707.story?coll=cl-books-features>
David Colker, Los Angeles Times

Amateur readers are working together to record novels and other texts to be downloaded free from the internet.

*** Firefox For Intel Macs Planned For March
<http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Firefox_for_Intel_Macs_planned_for_March/0,2000061733,39232952,00.htm>
Renai LeMay, ZDNet Australia

The Mozilla Corporation has set a March launch date for a version of its Firefox Web browser that will run on Apple's Intel version of Mac OS X.

*** Microsoft Working With Apple On Future Of Virtual PC
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1470>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

Any new version of the Windows emulation application would have to be deveoped from the ground up for Intel-based Macs because the software is not compatible with Apple's Rosetta emulation environment.

*** Invasion Of iPod People Prompts New Office Etiquette
<http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060115/BUSINESS0101/601150319/-1/COLUMNS>
Joy Davia, Democrat & Chronicle

It all comes down to your office culture.

*** May The iForce Be With You
<http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1137279034943&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&t=TS_Home>
Sharda Prashad, Toronto Star

How has Apple been able to create such a strong brand?

*** iPod School Opens In London
<http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,17835478%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html>
The Australian

Clueless music lovers who have embraced the trendy new technology but not the know-how can pay 65 pounds for a 40-minute lessons at Selfridges, on the popular Oxford Street shopping haunt.

[Opinion]

*** Thinking, Boxes, & What Kittens Can Do To Them
<http://wilshipley.com/blog/2006/01/thinking-boxes-what-kittens-can-do-to.html>
Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal

The key is taking an idea that the world obviously wants and doing a good job of it. This is how I've made my living.

*** iPod Has Upped His Hipness Level By A Few Decibels
<http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060115/NEWS01/601150351/1002/NEWS01>
John Carlson, The Star Press

These days I am feeling younger and hipper in every respect, at least until I take my iPod off.

*** Stanford, Meet The Lightnet. Apple, Get A Clue
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/01/15.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

[Review]

*** iPhoto 6
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/01/15/iphotofirstlook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Kelly Turner, Macworld

The new full-screen mode may be enough to make the upgrade worthwhile for people who spend time editing photos in iPhoto. It's a beautiful way to work.

*** Beautiful New iPhoto 6
<http://spanring.name/blog/2006/01/15/beautiful-new-iphoto-6/>
spanning.name

The whole workflow -- edit, crop, adjust, slide shows, etc -- seems to be noticeable faster and snappier than in prior version.

*** E-Read All About It
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/ebooks/story/0,11305,1686540,00.html>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

The world of publishing stands on the cusp of the greatest innovation since Gutenberg. With cheap, portable electronic readers just around the corner, what is the future of the printed book?

*** One Answer To Too Much Tech: Sorry, I'm Not Here
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/15/AR2006011501015.html>
Jose Antonio Vargas, Washington Post

In these multitasking, hyperkinetic, gadget-obsessed times, it helps to have a few rules in place, no matter how arbitrary, no matter how nonsensical, while clicking our lives away in the techno-sphere.

*** Will Music Kiosks Change The Retail Landscape?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1911642,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Antony Bruno, Reuters

It is shaping up to be a make-or-break year for digital music kiosks.

*** The Most Dangerous Game
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/11/AR2006011102028.html>
Serge F. Kovaleski, Washington Post

Fred Kovaleski and Yuri Rastvorov were secret agents, sworn enemies on opposite sides of the Cold War. When they finally came face to face, a mutual love of tennis spawned the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

*** Is The Big Lie No Big Deal?
<http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/1137328269319730.xml&coll=2>
Andrea Simakis, Cleveland Plain Dealer

It's official. Fibbing is OK if it serves a higher purpose. Oprah said so.

*** Government To Impose Stiffer Penalties For NS Defaulters
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/188471/1/.html>
Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

Defence Minister Teo Chee Hean told parliament on Monday that the fine would be doubled to S$10,000. The maximum jail sentence of 3 years will not go up, but the Defence Ministry will now push for a jail term for defaulters in serious cases.

*** More Traffic Also To Blame For Jams At Land Checkpoints
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/188456/1/.html>
May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** Police Have Fair And Transparent System For Allocating Rally Sites: DPM Wong
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/188455/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Wong Kan Seng said the procedure was on a first come, first served basis.

*** Could Worker's Party Throw Hat Into PM's Ring?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/95444.asp>
Teo Hwee Nak, Today

WP chief Low Thia Khiang has identified Ang Mo Kio Group Representation Constituency (GRC) as one of the wards it is targeting to stand in for the coming election, which it will campaign on the theme, "You have a choice."

[Opinion]

*** VIPs' Sons Given Special Treatment In 1999
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,365140,00.html?>
Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>