[MyAppleMenu] Jan 14, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 14 13:15:00 EST 2006

*** Just How Different Are Intel-Macs From Intel PCs?
<http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/01/12/how_different_are_the_new_intel-based_macs/>
Scott M. Fulton, III, TG Daily

*** David Alexander Davidson: A "Disaster!" In The Making
<http://www.apple.com/pro/film/davidson/>
Bija Gutoff, Apple

"When I get a G5 and Xserve RAID and Final Cut Pro and Shake, I just assume they will work correctly together. Frankly, that's why we use Apple."

*** Rick Sheppard: Shaping Multiplantium Sounds
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/sheppard/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

"Soundtrack Pro saved me at least an hour of flipping the track over, getting it in the right format, opening it on another system, and back again."

*** Apple Adds 802.11a
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@460.0v5pb0NtabN@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c74bacd>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

This isn't a remarkable breakthrough. It may just indicate that Apple is using the latest off-the-shelf components that are designed for enterprise use. But it also removed a blockage at very little expense for using Macs in certain companies and schools.

*** Macworld, CES Double-Booked For 2007
<http://news.com.com/Macworld%2C+CES+double-booked+for+2007/2100-1047_3-6027038.html?part=rss&tag=6027038&subj=news>
Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com

Macworld Expo and the Consumer Electronics Show will coolide next year, with the dates for the two major tech events virtually overlapping for the conventions' entire duration.

[Opinion]

*** iLife '06 From The Perspective Of An Anthropomorphized Brushed Metal Interface
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/01/brushed_metal>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

*** Apple Is Getting Sloppy
<http://mnteractive.com/archive/apple-is-getting-sloppy/>
MNteractive

Apple, once known as the epitome of human interface standards adherence has slowly become a radom mis-mash of interface ideas and implementation.

*** A Wedding Made At Macworld -- The Photos
<http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2006/01/13/some_macworld_wedding_photos>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

[Review]

*** iWork '06
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/01/13/iworkfirstlook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

While Keynote has received the most visible improvements in the iWork suite, the changes to Pages help make an already-solid product even better.

[Sidetrack]

*** iTunes Music Store In Singapore... Not Anytime Soon
Heng-Cheong Leong

According to a report in the Straits Times that is not available online, Apple is planning to open an iTunes Music Store in Singapore -- by the end of next year.

End of 2007? Either there is a typo in the report, or Apple is really doing some serious padding of schedule. :-)

*** There Is No Open Source Community
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2006/01/12/no_oss_community.html?page=1>
John Mark Walker, O'Reilly Network

*** Judge Dreads Software Patents
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39247187,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

An Appeals Court judge has questioned whether software patents should be granted, andhas criticised the US for allowing 'anything under the sun' to be patented.

[Tech & Science]

*** Math Will Rock Your World
<http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_04/b3968001.htm>
BusinessWeek

A generation ago, quants turned finance upside down. Now they're mapping out ad campaigns and building new businesses from mountains of personal data.

[Life]

*** No Fire Without Smoke
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/47176b04-8332-11da-9017-0000779e2340.html>
Robin Blake, Financial Times

"There would be no bohemia without smoking," said David Hockney at the Labour Party's Brighton conference last September. A particularly dotty thesis, it may seem, but art history can furnish it with some lively supporting footnotes.

*** China Beat Columbus To It, Perhaps
<http://www.economist.com/books/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5381851>
The Economist

An ancient map that strongly suggests Chinese seamen were first round the world.

*** Teens' White Elephant T-Shirt Venture Gets Police Attention
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/95206.asp>
Val Chua, Today