[MyAppleMenu] Jan 12, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jan 12 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Sun And Apple Almost Merged Three Times - Bill Joy
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/12/sun_apple_snapple/>
Ashlee Vance, The Register

Sun tried to acquire Apple once and then almost merged with Apple on two other occasions, according to Sun co-founder Bill Joy.

*** Apple Pays Short Thirft In Mac G5 Owners
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13572>
Karen Haslam and David Fanning, Macworld UK

"It's just a fact of life that technology changes really fast."

*** Sewing Up The iPod Market
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060112_086932.htm>
Louise Lee, BusinessWeek

Clothing makers are jumping on the gadget's bandwagon. Will tune-friendly apparel be anything more than a blip on the fashion screen?

*** Apple-Intel Pact Leaves New PowerPC Mac Users Behind
<http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=175803714>
Antone Gonsalves, TechWeb

Analysts say not to fret; the older machines still have some advantages.

*** It's Unanimous. Bloggers Hate 'MacBook Pro'
<http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6026231.html?part=rss&tag=6026231&subj=news>
Jennifer Guevin, CNET News.com

Many bloggers feel Apple's style and marketing gurus could have done a better job of renaming the laptops.

*** Another Apple Ad Ripoff?
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1385523>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

*** XP Won't Run On Intel MacBook, iMac
<http://www.betanews.com/article/XP_Wont_Run_on_Intel_MacBook_iMac/1137003330>
Nate Mook, BetaNews

While Microsoft plans to add EFI support in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista, a final release isn't due until the end of the year.

*** New iPod Accessories On Display At Macworld Conference In California
<http://ap.cjonline.com/pstories/technology/20060111/3553887.shtml>
Ron Harris, Associated Press

*** Mac Sales Are Surging And Microsoft Is Making Money
<http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6025822.html?part=rss&tag=6025822&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Microsoft's top Mac exec declared that 2005 was the "best year ever" for the Mac unit.

*** Intel: Our Other Customers Aren't Boring
<http://news.com.com/2061-10791_3-6025849.html?part=rss&tag=6025849&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

*** "Moblie Me," Apple Says
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6026003.html?part=rss&tag=6026003&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Apple has applied for a trademark on the term "Mobile Me," according to a recent filing with the US Patent and Trademark Office.

*** Intel Offers Apple Programming Tool Beta
<http://news.com.com/Intel+offers+Apple+programming+tool+beta/2110-1007_3-6026057.html?part=rss&tag=6026057&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

*** Each To His Or Her Own Mac OS X Updates
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@197.gslsbHSOaG5@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c74b252>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Apple confirmed that Mac OS X updates starting with 10.4.4 will include only the code necessary for the respective version of the OS you are using: PowerPC or Intel.

*** Microsoft Offfers Flip4Mac For Free
<http://tuaw.com/2006/01/11/microsoft-offers-flip4mac-for-free/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Flip4Mac is a plugin for QuickTime that allows you to watch Windows Media files in QuickTime itself.

*** iTunes 6.0.2 Does Automatic Video Conversion Without QuickTime Pro
<http://tuaw.com/2006/01/11/itunes-6-0-2-does-automatic-video-conversion-without-quicktime-p/>
Fabienne Serriers, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** The Secret iLife Of The PPC
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2006/1/12/2471>
Charles Jade, Ars Technica

iPhoto 06 on a G4 is noticeably slower than an Intel machine. It reminded me of iPhoto 05.

*** Ten Reasons Your Next PC Will Be From Apple
<http://channels.lockergnome.com/windows/archives/20060111_ten_reasons_your_next_pc_will_be_from_apple.phtml>
Chris Pirillo, Lockergnome

Here we are, only two weeks into the new year, and already we have a major industry announcement sending shockwaves throughout countless Windows enthusiast communities.

*** Steve Jobs (?): Apple Discards Information Transmitted By iTunes
<http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/11/steve_jobs_apple_dis.html>
Cory Doctorow, Boing Boing

That's a good start.

*** Apple's EcoSystem
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10794336/site/newsweek/from/RSS/>
Brad Stone, Newsweek

Apple's secret sauce is the soothing consistency and reliability of its service.

*** The Media's Crush On Apple
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jan2006/tc20060112_749447.htm>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Apple sparked something bordering on a lovefest among the press. But as the good times roll, are reporters asking the hard questions?

*** MAKE's "Best Of Macworld SF 2006"
<http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/01/makes_best_of_macworld_san_fra.html>
MAKE: Blog

*** Photocasts Are Not Valid RSS
<http://www.niallkennedy.com/blog/archives/2006/01/photocasts-are.html>
Niall Kennedy

*** Can iTunes Save SNL?
<http://time.blogs.com/tuned_in/2006/01/can_itunes_save.html>
James Poniewozik, Time

*** iTunes: An Update About The Update
<http://since1968.com/article/154/itunes-update-update>
since1968.com

The core issues are trust and transparency: I want to do business with companies that respect my privacy; I want them to tell me clearly when they're collecing my data; and I'd prefer to opt-in to data collection programs rather than opt-out. Is that so much to ask?

*** Even Apple's User Interface Has Room For Improvement
<http://lowendmac.com/lab/06/0111.html>
Jeff Adkins, Low End Mac

*** A Grand Day Out
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8980?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=A+grand+day+out>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Recent important Apple events in the USA have been transmitted via live satellite to the UK, where British and European journalists can sit and watch and pretend they're in the same room as Steve Jobs. I thought perhaps you might like to know what happens at one of these events.

*** QoD: MacBook Pro And Battery Life?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8984?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=QoD:+MacBook+Pro+and+Battery+Life>
Chuck Toporek, O'Reilly Network

When I noticed that the battery indicator had numbers next to it, I looked up and saw that it had a little over 4 hours of battery life left.

*** MacBook Pro... Umm OK?
<http://www.basement.org/archives/2006/01/macbook_proumm_ok.html>
Rich Ziade, Basement.org

I thought we were at an exciting time in technology? New ideas. New inventions.

*** My Perspective On Unsanity's MacBook Pro "Lost In Translation" Post
<http://tuaw.com/2006/01/11/my-perspective-on-unsanitys-macbook-pro-lost-in-transition-po/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Lost In Translation: Overcane Of Antflower Milk
<http://www.unsanity.org/archives/000445.php>
Unsanity

We've lost quite a few technologies and features in this transition.

*** Apple's New Notebooks: Not Necessarily For Bargain Hunters
<http://news.com.com/2061-10792_3-6026054.html?part=rss&tag=6026054&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

One thing Apple didn't address with the conversion to Intel processors is the price.

*** Eyeing The iTunes MiniStore
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/01/ministore/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

This isn't about the MiniStore itself. It's about Apple's attitude in rolling this change out to the millions of iTunes users, without as much as a peep about what's going on behind the scene.

[Sidetrack]

*** Strange Pacing By Steve Jobs Because Of Last Minute Changes?
Heng-Cheong Leong

The rumor <http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2006/01/11/scoop_the_inside_dope_on_steve_jobs_weir> is that some products that was meant to be announced at Macworld were withdrawal, causing the strange pacing at the Expo.

*** Irony?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Is there too much of an irony is I eat my sandwich at my work cubicle while reading this article <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011000319.html>?

*** More Ideas For Windows Vista
Heng-Cheong Leong

It's time to Think Different, Microsoft. How about a Microsoft Windows Vista Macintosh Edition? A Windows OS that installs natively on Apple hardware, but have a VirtualPC that runs Mac OS X Intel, for customers that still have one or two Macintosh application that they need to run occasionally?

:-)

[nw]

*** Why Girls Need To Switch On To Computing
<http://education.independent.co.uk/schools/article337935.ece>
Hilary Wilce, Independent

[Linux]

*** Fedora Embraces Mono
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39246774,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

But Red Hat says it has no plans to include the open source .Net implementation in its commercial distribution.

[Tech & Science]

*** Astronauts And Area 51: The Skylab Incident
<http://www.thespacereview.com/article/531/1>
Dwane A. Day, The Space Review

Groom Lake, aka Area 51, is the Air Force's most sensitive installation, and one that the military has gone to great lengths to cloak in secrecy. Whant happened when the crew of a Skylab mission took a photograph of the base from orbit?

[Life]

*** Wait Wait! Don't Tell Me!
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2006/01/11/wait_wait_dont_tell_me/>
Joanna Weiss, Boston Globe

While I'm as big a fan of time shifting as anyone, I also believe there's a bargain implied. If you watch on your own time, you give up complete control over the information.

*** The Bread Is Famously Good, But It Killed McDonald's
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/international/europe/12italy.html>
Ian Fisher, New York Times

First, an inconvenient truth: This is not a new story. But somehow the tale of how the city with the best bread in Italy forced its McDonald's out of business never really got told, and is spilling out now.

*** East Meets West, Adding Pounds And Peril
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/12/nyregion/nyregionspecial5/12diabetes.html?hp&ex=1137042000&en=a70d69b2555766d2&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Marc Santora, New York Times

Asians, especially those from Far Eastern nations like China, Korea and Japan, are acutely suscepitble to Type 2 diabetes. And that peril is compounded by recent immigrants' sudden collision with American culture.

*** Mmm... Samples!
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/foodwine/2002732164_samplers11.html>
Providence Cicero, Seattle Times

Good luck dodging the demonstrators.

*** Desktop Dining
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/10/AR2006011000319.html>
Michaele Weissman, Washington Post

The question is, do we lose something valuable when we eat alone at our desks?

*** Can New Orleans Save The Soul Of Its Food?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/dining/11orle.html>
Kim Severson, New York Times

Among those who care about New Orleans food, the debate is whether the high can survive without the low.

*** You Don't Know Jack?
<http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2006/01/12/jack/>
Mary Elizabeth Williams, Salon

Jack radio is cheap and souless and all about random sex; it's also the new love of my life. Who needs Howard Stern?

*** Community Chest For Patients?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/94696.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

Group suggests setting up an integrated medical services fund as "safety net' for poor.

*** Come Back To JB, But Don't Be A 'Hero'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/94710.asp>
Today

[Opinion]

*** Day I Witnessed PM And Wife's Humility
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,364454,00.html?>
Lionel De Souza, Straits Times

*** Guest Of Honor Sorry For Being Late, Tells Why
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,364422,00.html?>
Mohamad Maliki Osman, Straits Times

It is unfortunate that my mistake caused much inconvenience to Dr Chia and all the guests that night. I will ensure that this will not happen again.

*** Landed
<http://felumpfus.blogspot.com/2006/01/landed_09.html>
The F Spot

As a frequent customer of the national airline, I'm a bit appalled at how low the standards have fallen.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]