[MyAppleMenu] Feb 23, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 23 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** What The Other Steve Is Saying About Apple's Striking Resurgence
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060223.TWOZNIAK23/TPStory/Business>
Peter Nowak, Globe And Mail

Co-founder Wozniak not sold on use of Intel chips; ponders possibility of spinning off iPod division.

*** The iPod Tie
<http://www.techdigest.tv/2006/02/the_ipod_tie.html>
Tech Digest

*** Net Video Explosion Triggers Traffic Jam Worries
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6042300.html>
John Borland, CNET News.com

Blame Steve Jobs, or maybe YouTube.com.

*** iTunes Movie Store For Feb 28?
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13930>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Apple's Music Store: Over 1 Billion Served
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6042315.html?part=rss&tag=6042315&subj=news>
Scott Ard, CNET News.com

*** Mac Security Exploits Don't Shake Up Apple VARs
<http://www.crn.com/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=MIUCDCG0OGFQMQSNDBGCKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=180206378>
Thomas Zizzo, CRN

Apple solution providers and their customers aren't panicking.

*** Make Mine With Music: Preloaded iPods
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/02/preloadipods/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

They're convenient, but preloaded players pose legal questions.

*** The Safari Shell Script Execution Exploit
<http://daringfireball.net/2006/02/safari_shell_script_exploit>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

*** Did Apple Overbook Its NAND Flash Inventory?
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1550>
Tariq, AppleInsider

Several large buyers, include Apple, may have overbooked on NAND flash memory during the fourth quarter of last year, causing a NAND flash memory glut in early 2006, according to iSuppli Corp.

*** Vincent Laforet: In Tight In Torino
<http://www.apple.com/pro/photo/laforet/>
Joe Cellini, Apple

*** University Of Calgary: Modeling Swarm Behavior
<http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/universityofcalgary/>
Frank Lacombe, Apple

"Xgrid dramatically increases the processing power we have available for compute-intensive processes, and because it's built into Mac OS X, it's virtually effortless."

*** Privacy Screen For Your iPod
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/22/privacy-screen-for-your-ipod/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** 15-Inch PowerBook Gone From Apple Online Store
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/22/powerbook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Why There Is No iLife (Life XP) For Windows
<http://svenontech.com/2006/02/06/why-there-is-no-ilife-life-xp-for-windows/>
SvenOnTech

The reason is simple, Microsoft doesn't need to.

*** 12 Months On...?
<http://www.techcastuk.co.uk/?p=20>
Richard Hind, Tech Castuk

The Mac mini has lasted extremely well against time, torture and comparison to my older machines.

*** Steve Rips Me A New One In Henrico County
<http://writersblocklive.com/part-154>
Mike Evangelist, Writers Block Live

I'd just about given myself a heart attack jumping through hoops so Steve Jobs could play a silly movie that wasn't really any better than the one it replaced.

*** What Makes A Mac, A Mac???
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/803/>
David Czepanski, Apple Matters

*** Why Features Don't Matter Anymore: The New Laws Of Digital Technology
<http://www.acm.org/ubiquity/views/v7i07_pfeiffer.html>
Andreas Pfeiffer, ACM

The iPod was never sold on the grounds of its technical merits: Apple hit a gold-mine by marketing a cool new way of integrating music in your life.

*** The iTunes U Agenda
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/udell/2006/02/22.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

Apple's iTunes U has a contrary agenda, and I'm not the only one who's noticed.

*** MacBook Disassembly Shows Interesting Things
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/macbook_disassembly_shows_inte.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=MacBook+Disassembly+Shows+Interesting+Things>
Tom Bridge, O'Reilly Network

The constants are still in place, and the world hasn't ended with an Intel chip switch. Very interesting, though, to see some of the changes to the guts of the MacBook to make it easier to get into.

[Review]

*** Intel imac Lacks Speed With Non-Apple Apps
<http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,124767,00.asp>
Narasu Rebbapragada, PC World

Well-priced system's speed shines with apps written for Intel's Core Duo processor.

*** Wi-Fi To Go: The Hot Spot In A Box
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/technology/circuits/23pogue.html?ex=1298350800&en=cce7913cb6d5d7e8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

There's no overstating the joy of carrying around your own Wi-Fi hot spot, ready for your whole gang to enjoy wherever you can find a power outlet or even a car's cigarette-lighter socket.

*** What's New In iWork '06?
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/02/22/iwork.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Whats+New+in+iWork+06>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** Mac Book Pro: First Day, First Lab Tests
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/firstlooks/macbookfirstlook/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

At least in our first test, the battery life of the MacBook Pro seems in line with the battery life on the last-generation PowerBook G4.

[Sidetrack]

*** Fun? Fun?! II
Heng-Cheong Leong

As suggested by the fine folks at Your Mac Life <http://www.yourmaclife.com/>, it's going to be an Apple theme park that will be unveiled on the next New Products Tuesday. ("Now that Jobs is on the Disney board...")

*** Fun? Fun?!
Heng-Cheong Leong

Do not taunt <http://www.happyfunball.com/hfb.html> Happy Fun Ball.

*** Breaking China
<http://www.slate.com/id/2136777/>
Jacob Weisberg, Slate

Here's how to solve Google's Beijing problem.

*** Ducking A Bullet Over Data Encryption
<http://news.com.com/2010-7355_3-6042090.html?part=rss&tag=6042090&subj=news>
Eric J. Sinrod, CNET News.com

*** French Leave
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/features/story/0,,1715898,00.html>
Adam Gopnik, The Guardian

Bohemian yet bourgeois, Paris is a city of contradictions. No wonder American artists have always been dazzled by it.

*** A Book For People Who Love Numbers
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/22/books/22stats.html?8hpib>
Sam Roberts, New York Times

Richard Sutch and Susan Carter don't expect anybody to take their new book to the beach. For starters, it weighs 29 pounds.

*** Madison Avenue Is Still Seeking Its Olympic Star
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/23/sports/olympics/23market.html?hp&ex=1140670800&en=37883e4fefb6af4c&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Karen Crouse, New York Times

For Madison Avenue, the face of the United States that has emerged from these Games is an unattractive sell of bad manners and poor sports.

*** On Buying Wines Of A Certain Age -- At A Certain Age
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/21/AR2006022100365.html>
David Stewart, Washington Post

My lengthy romance with wine was not over. There would be other vintages, young and sprightly, full-bodied and generous. But to know that Chateau Cheval Blanc would one day go on without me was, briefly but infinitely, depressing.

*** Table Manners
<http://www.boston.com/ae/food/articles/2006/02/22/table_manners/>
Alison Arnett, Boston Globe

A tale of long waits, cellphone yakkers, no-reservations policies, bar stool hogs, and other dining pet peeves.

*** Ripples In A Finger Bowl
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/22/dining/22feed.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Alex Witchel, New York Times

That's when the scolding began. Because I, veteran of hundreds of New York dinner parties (it only feels like thousands) did not recognize a finger bowl.

*** Wherefore The Doube-Double?
<http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/west/la-tm-innout7feb12,0,4915572.story?coll=la-home-magazine>
Joe Christiano, Los Angeles Times

A family feud has left In-N-Out Burger, that iconic Wesern enterprise, at a crossroads. Will it still be ours if its bright yellow arrow points east?

[Ramblings]

*** Buffet, Hong Kong Style
Heng-Cheong Leong

Probably almost every Singaporean adult have taken a buffet at their local friendly buffet restaurant, where we try to get our money's worth. (Eat more salmon! Stop eating rice!)

Here's a report <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000088&sid=aaqFHq6w2D.c&refer=culture> on the buffet scene over at Hong Kong by a Singaporean.

[News]

*** Singapore 'Not Sour' Over Qantas
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18249270%255E23109,00.html>
AAP

Singapore sounded a more conciliatory tone today over an Australian ban on tans-Pacific service by Singapore Airlines.

*** Singapore-Australia Relations Unaffeced By Decision On SIA: George Yeo
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/194642/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Wooing Indian Honeymoners
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=8&news_id=52760&key_word=singapore>
P. Jayaram, Straits Times

Singapore saw a sharp rise in Indian visitors last year and is making a bid for more tourist arrivals this year by wooing honeymoon couples.

*** Johor's Exports Of Live Chicken To Singapore Up 10%
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/23/nation/13472503&sec=nation>
The Star

Johor's export of live chicken to Singapore has increased by 10% to 20% after the republic suspended imports from Selangor.

*** Australia To Seek Talks With Singapore Over SiA Ban
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/23/asia/13473105&sec=asia>
AFP

Australia will seek talks with Singapore after the city state took the unusual step of publicly rebuking Canberra for maintaining a trans-Pacific ban on Singapore Airlines.

*** No Curfew, Just Letters For Some
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/102689.asp>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

*** Two Former Strongmen, Soeharto-Lee Kuan Yew Meet Again
<http://www.antara.co.id/en/seenws/?id=9296>
Antara

*** Qantas, Singapore Say Merger Not In Their Flight Path
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18243407%255E23349,00.html>
Steve Creedy, The Australian

Qantas and Singapore Airlines were yesterday pouring cold water on any sugestion they would begin talking about a possible merger, despite the Howard government's enthusiasm for a marriage.

[Opinion]

*** Build 2-Room HDB Flats With 60-Year Lease
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,373204,00.html?>
Benjamin Goh Lye Huat, Straits Times

[Entertainment]

*** Singapore 'Ho Chiak'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Thursday/Advanced%20/20060222142539/Article/index_html>
Sam Cheong, New Straits Times

Hanging out with a group of Singaporeans who love to eat has opened up a whole new avenue for me and at the same time, changed the stereotyped view of eating out in this island.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]