[MyAppleMenu] Feb 17, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 17 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Leap-A Malware: What You Need To Know
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/02/16/leapafaq/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

This incident doesn't expose a security hole in the Mac operating system. Rather, it's a piece of malware that can be easily rebuffed by vigilant Mac users.

*** Mac Trojan Sighted
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?13@223.yhSlbCWyce3@.3c4f5c5c>
Mark H. Anbinder, TidBITS

*** Apple To Remove The 100 Song Cap On iTunes Phones?
<http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/16/apple-to-remove-the-100-song-cap-on-itunes-phones/>
Ryan Block, Engadget

We've just received word from Apple that the upgrade screen exists for non-US customers, some of whom initially had caps as low as 25 songs, and brings their phones up to the 100-song limit.

[Opinion]

*** AppleCare Sent My iPod Nano Back Formatted By Microsoft Windows
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/applecare_sent_my_ipod_nano_ba.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=AppleCare+Sent+my+iPod+nano+back+formatted+by+Microsoft+Windows>
Todd Ogasawara, O'Reilly Network

*** Why Features Don't Matter Any More
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1914493,00.asp>
Andreas Pfeiffer, eWeek

As Apple's iPod shows, success in technology has less and less to do with features, and more to do with ease of use. Welcome to the Age of User Experience.

*** First Mac OS X Worm A Wake-Up Call
<http://cultofmac.com/index.php/2006/02/16/first_mac_os_x_worm_a_wake_up_call>
Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

The worm is a wake-up call for OS X users with a false sense of OS X's invulnerability.

*** A Jammed Video Arcade For Grown-Ups
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/16/fashion/thursdaystyles/16CRITIC.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Alex Kuczynski, New York Times

When I married and my husband asked me to convert, it was a pretty big deal. I was set in my ways. My orthodoxies were profound. But if I didn't abandon the personal computer for the Mac, he warned, the marriage wouldn't have a chance.

*** Will Apple Adopt Windows? No! (My Response To Dvorak)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/will_apple_adopt_windows_no_my.html>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

Or perhaps I should say, "Hell No!"

*** BYOB: Don't Be Surprised If Apple Saves The Day For Blockbuster Video
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060216.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

For Apple the point here is to sell iPods to people who might not otherwise ever buy one, to bring digital downloads to people who don't have broadband or even a computer, and to make it all incredibly easy.

[Review]

*** Easiest Way To Prepare Movies For Your iPod
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/easiest_way_to_prepare_movies.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Easiest+Way+to+Prepare+Movies+for+Your+iPod>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

iTunes 6 has a feature that enables you to convert your existing QuickTime videos to iPod-compatible movies.

*** Right Click = New File
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2006/02/nufile/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

*** Freeway 4 Pro: Web-Development Application Frees Professional Designers From The Burdens Of Code
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/reviews/freeway4pro/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Cranford Teague, Macworld

If you are coming from the print world -- and you've been put off by the idea of learning code or frustrated by web-design applications that do not work the way you're used to -- Freeway Pro will be exactlyw hat you need to realize your vision in the online world.

[Sidetrack]

*** Blog-O-Conversations
Heng-Cheong Leong

Looks like we will be stuck with conversations like these in the near term: "Ha Ha! Mac got viruses!" "Not virus, trojan horse." "Virus." "Trojan horse." "What the f*** about semantics? It's a virus." "Trojan horse. You need to double click." "Virus."

*** The War On Privacy
<http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0607,hentoff,72136,6.html>
Nat Hentoff, Village Voice

Rumsfeld warns that the enemy can succeed in changing our way of life. It already has.

*** Noises To Annoy All The Family
<http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1711868,00.html>
Lucy Mangan, The Guardian

For those whose sadistic tendencies are not sated by the knowledge that hte lout playing his iPod at an egregious volume is signing a delivery note for early-onset deafness and tinnitus, we bring you the Sonic Teenager Deterrent.

*** Mr. Fix-It
<http://www.citypaper.com/arts/story.asp?id=11451>
Edward Ericson Jr., Baltimore City Paper

"I started having questions, like, Should I use the world 'seemingly'? I was reading Congo by Michael Crichton. I wondered, Did Crichton use 'seemingly'?"

*** For Many, Olympic Quests Come To Crashing End
<http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/articles/2006/02/16/for_many_olympic_quests_come_to_crashing_end/>
Bob Hohler, Boston Globe

A new use has emerged for the Olympic flag: Shielding the fractured bodies of world-class athletes as rescuers cart them to ambulances and Medivac choppers from their frozen fields of dreams.

*** Turn Off The Heat -- How Japan Made Energy Saving An Art Form
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/japan/story/0,,1711848,00.html>
Anthony Faiola, The Guardian

With opinion polls showing that more than three-quarters of Japanese people view energy conservation as a personal responsibility, many are willing to pay.

*** Singapore Airlines Hit Out At Qantas
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Singapore-Airlines-hit-out-at-Qantas/2006/02/17/1140151805913.html>
Sydney Morning Herald

Singapore Airlines said while Qantas chief executive was in favour of opening up the skies to get greater access to Europe, Qantas wants to retain its stranglehold on the US route.

*** Govt Pumps US$8.3b Into Boosting R&D
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=2&news_id=52541&key_word=singapore>
Chang Ai-Lien and Meng Yew Choong, Straits Times

*** NUS To Meet Students Over Fee Hike
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/101592.asp>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

[Opinion]

*** The Age Of Loitering
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/101576.asp>
mr brown, Today

Personally, I think we should have the police look at the other side of the problem: Parents who do not know where their kids are after 11pm.

*** Singaporeans Let Go On Malaysian Roads, Too
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/17/focus/13314599&sec=focus>
Shamsir A R, The Star

What we need is strict enforcement of the law so that it wil be respected by all drivers, Singaporeans andpoliticians included.

*** 'Causeway Not The Cause Of Pollution'
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Friday/Letters/20060217092653/Article/index_html>
Gerard Ho, High Commission of the Republic of Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, New Straits Times

The Causeway was not identified as the cause of pollution in the Strait of Johor.

*** PUB Should Track And Tax Usage Of Utilities By Number Of Residents
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/101570.asp>
Foo Der Ho, Today

*** Double Jeopardy: It's A Legal Question For Court
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,371851,00.html?>
Janaine Lau, Ministry of Law, Straits Times

An appeal is not a second trial of the accused on the facts or the law. It is a supervisory hearing by an appeal court to correct errors of fact and law.

*** NUS Has No Reason To Raise Varsity Fees
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,371840,00.html?>
Mhamed Fairoz Ahmad, Straits Times

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>