[MyAppleMenu] Feb 12, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 12 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** iPod On The Tracks
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/nyregion/thecity/12ipod.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Thomas Beller, New York Times

I felt a brief tug on my ears, and silence. The iPod has fallen through a hole in my coat pocket and skidded across the platform like a bright white hockey puck. There was a sharp thwack as it slammed into the side of the subway car and fell into the crack between platform and subway, down to the tracks.

[Review]

*** Apple's Upgraded iLife Has Benefits, But It's No Bargain
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/11/AR2006021100215.html>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

*** Synchronicity
<http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/02/11/synchronicity>
Hivelogic Narrative

As the user of both desktop systems and a laptop, I've had to deal with the challenge of trying to keep all of my data in sync between the machines I use, as well as maintaining a good, reliable backup of all my files. I thought I might share how I solved these problems using a few homegrown tools, some web-based software and a commercial service.

*** Eats Shoots, Leaves And Much of Zoos' Budgets
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/national/12panda.html?ex=1297400400&en=c70cc419264bf57d&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Brenda Goodman, New York Times

The real stickerr shock comes from the annual fees that Zoo Atlanta must pay the Chinese government, $2 million a year, essentially to rent a pair of giant pandas.

*** 96% Of Singaporeans Back Death Penalty
<http://www.asianewsnet.net/level3_template1.php?l3sec=4&news_id=52324&key_word=singapore>
Lydia Lim and Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

Almost everyone here, both young and old and of every race and education level, supports the death penalty for heinous crimes, a survey shows.

*** Unhappy Over Passport Deadline
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Saturday/National/20060211083233/Article/index_html>
New Straits Times

Many people in Johor, who go to Singapore regularly to meet family and friends, are unhappy over the republic's decision not to recognise the Malaysin restricted passport from July 1.

*** Singaporeans Are Closer But Will Never Be Like Coffee With Milk
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/12/asia/13370607&sec=asia>
Straits Times

Although the different races here have grown closer over time, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong does not think Singapore will ever become a kopi susu nation.

*** A Nation Of Naive Citizens?
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/12/focus/13360286&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Cosmopolitan but with half the population poorly educated, Singapore is often smart and terribly green at the same time, at least a portion of it, anyway.

[Opinion]

*** It's Fear Of Getting Caught That Makes Drivers Behave
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/12/focus/13324393&sec=focus>
Gladys Rodgers-Thanabalan, The Star

[Entertainment]

*** Releasing Steam
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Sunday/Showtime/20060211130137/Article/index_html>
Himanshu Bhatt, New Straits Times

More than two decades after Singapore imposed its strict Mandarin language policy, a comic actor gives Hokkien, a dialet of the heartland, the renewed outlet it has long craved.

*** Coming Not So Soon
<http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/show/story/0,4136,101902,00.html>
Jeanmarie Tan, New Paper

Oscar heavyweights make slow crawl to Singapore's screen.