[MyAppleMenu] Feb 7, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 7 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Podcast From The Heart
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70169-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Elizabeth Svoboda, Wired News

The iPod's sleek design and status-symbol white earbuds are Gen-X trademarks, but Grayson Wheatley is introducing the audio player to a demographic advertisers forgot: elderly patients with chronic health problems.

*** Podfading Takes Its Toll
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70171-0.html?tw=rss.index>
Steve Friess, Wired News

Podcasting has drawn thousands on the premise that anyone can create an audio program, build an audience online and even vault to stardom. Less celebrated is the fact that untold numbers of shows wink out just as suddenly as they started.

*** Students Carry Missed Lectures Around Campus On iPods
<http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/cuyahoga/113930503664780.xml&coll=2>
Jennifer Gonz, Cleveland Plain Dealer

*** Students Get iPods
<http://www.kaimin.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1088&Itemid=55>
Danny Bobbe, Montana Kaimin

The Bookstore at The University of Montana bought 40 iPods for students in the music department to use, despite the fact they may lose money on their investment.

*** iTunes Billion Songs Countdown
<http://www.tuaw.com/2006/02/07/itunes-billion-songs-countdown/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Apple is counting down to the one billionth download from the iTunes Music Store, and as is the tradition they are having a contest.

*** Tweens Use iPods, iTunes To Storm The Charts
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6035902.html>
Reuters

Tweens stocked up on iPods and iTunes gift cards during Christmas. Now the 14-and-under set is making its presence felt in digital music sales.

*** Neb. Professor Uses iPod For Lectures
<http://www.nola.com/newsflash/national/index.ssf?/base/national-0/113927006635930.xml&storylist=national>
Associated Press

*** Networks' iTunes Gamble Paying Off
<http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6035376.html>
Reuters

Even in these early days, it's starting to look as if the faith in digital downloads was well-placed.

*** Apple Falls 6% On Valuation Concerns
<http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BE9F37A90%2D3334%2D4B28%2D8887%2D0ABE6FBCD99E%7D&>
Rex Crum, MarketWatch

Apple shares fell more than 6% Monday to two-months lows, wiping out their gains for the year, on concerns that the company's expected profit growth rate for 2006 is already pirced into its stock.

[Opinion]

*** What Jobs Wants
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/06/news/companies/disney_fortune/>
Brent Schlender, Fortune

The Pixar deal may not be as strategically motivated as it seems for the Apple impresario.

*** Macs Still Make Me Drool
<http://applematters.com/index.php/chris_howard/comments/787/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

*** The Future Of The iPod
<http://www.shortflip.com/article/The-Future-of-the-iPod-149.html>
ShortFlip.com

We'll take a look at a large range of iPod features that we're likely to see in the near to not so near future.

*** Intel Won't Admit It, But Apple's An Abusive Partner
<http://www.valleywag.com/tech/apple/intel-wont-admit-it-but-apples-an-abusive-partner-152975.php>
Valleywag

*** The iMac Core Duo, Deconstructed
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/02/imacdeconstructed/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Miller, Macworld

One thing I am sure of: This thing is not user-upgradable.

*** iTunes U: The Debat Continues
<http://www.gardnercampbell.net/blog1/?p=327>
Gardner Writes

Apple doesn't need to pursue that strategy, and we don't need to help it.

*** Would You Like An iPod With Your Checkup?
<http://www.dailyindia.com/show/1148.php>
John A Thoma, Daily India

On my last visit, my dentist offered me an iPod as his hygienist was getting ready to do her 6-month routine.

*** Magic Startup Key Combinations Saved Me From A Clean Install
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/02/magic_startup_key_combinations.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Magic+Startup+Key+Combinations+Saved+Me+From+a+Clean+Install>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

[Review]

*** New Macs Are Better Than Ever
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/3640811.html>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

*** TubeTwist
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/reviews/tubetwist/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

TubeTwist is safe for the whole family, though kids younger than eight will probably find it more frustrating than fun.

*** 20-Inch iMac Core duro 2.0GHz
<http://www.appleinsider.com/review.php?id=4>
Nick Aziz, AppleInsider

*** iTunes 6.0.2 Can Import/Export OPML
<http://nnutter.com/wp/2006/itunes-602-can-importexport-opml/>
Nathan Nutter

*** Portfolio 8: Modest Upgrade Refines This Accomplished Media-Management Tool
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/02/reviews/portfolio8/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Galen Gruman, Macworld

Version 8 is not a major feature upgrade; it merely refines what the previous version already offered.

[Sidetrack]

*** Advertise Once, And People Are Still Talking About It
Heng-Cheong Leong

Lisa de Moraes <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601922.html>: Honestly, did any single ad make you sit up and take notice, as did the mother of all Super Bowl ads, Apple's unsettling, Ridley Scott-directed "1984," in which the blond athletic chick, hotly pursued by guys in riot gear, thows a sledgehammer at the Big Talking Head on the giant screen, freeing the Gray Brainwashed People?

*** How To Kill Off Your iPod's Battery
Heng-Cheong Leong

Christ Breen knows that "the iPod is not a flashlight. Use backlighting when only absolutely necessary." But then, he encounters a situation <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macmania/2006/02/ipodlight/index.php?lsrc=mwrss> when it is really necessary: he forgot to pack a nightlight for his daughter on a cruise trip.

*** Without 'Net Neutrality' Will Consumers Pay Twice?
<http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-6035906.html?part=rss&tag=6035906&subj=news>
Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com

*** Taking On The Database Giants
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2006/tc20060206_918648.htm>
Sarah Lacy, BusinessWeek

Can open-source upstarts compete with Oracle, IBM, and Microsoft? It's an uphill battle, but customers are starting to look at the alternatives.

*** Blog World Growing By Leaps And Bounds
<http://news.com.com/2100-1038_3-6035779.html?part=rss&tag=6035779&subj=news>
John Borland, CNET News.com

[World]

*** Your Taboo, Not Mine
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156609,00.html>
Andrew Sullivan, Time

You can respect a religion without honoring its taboos. I eat pork, and I'm not anti-Semite. As a Catholic, I don't expect atheists to genuflect before an altar. If violating a taboo is necessary to illustrate a political point, then the call is an easy one. Freedom means learning to deal with being offended.

[Life]

*** Don't Believe The Hype. We're Still No. 1
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1156589,00.html>
Charles Krauthammer, Time

What the doomsayers don't say: America is a marvel of creativity.

[Expressions]

*** A Shingawa Monkey
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/060213fi_fiction>
Haruki Murakami, New Yorker

*** Anti-Singaporean Sentiment Spreads
<http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9490000017052>
Daniel Ten Kate, IHT Thai Day

Growing anti-Singaporean sentiment relating to Temasek Holdings' purchase of a 49.6-percent stake in Shin Corp could taint bilateral relations in the future, academics and lawmakers warned yesterday.

*** Singapore Surrender Site Declared A National Monument
<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200602/s1564554.htm>
ABC

*** Malaysia Restricted Passport Not Valid For Entry Into Singapore From July
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/191987/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

*** Retailer Pays Damages For Selling Pirated Discs
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/7/asia/13313943&sec=asia>
Straits Times

TS Group has been forced to pay damages to movie distributors and studios for selling pirated DVDs.

*** A Faster, Simpler Admissions Exercise
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/99598.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

At a media briefing yesterday, MOE explained that the upcoming exercise has been made simpler and smoother.

*** Singapore Tax Policy Attracts Swiss Account Money
<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06037/651083.stm>
Edward taylor and Cris Prystay, Wall Street Journal

For decades, the ultrarich looking for discreet banking services gravitated to Switzerland, where account secrecy was sacrosanct. But when Swiss authorities acceded to pressure from the European Union to discourage tax evasion, the door opened for a new challenger to woo the world's wealthy: Singapore.

*** Share Sale Furore: Singapore Warned: Drop Shin Takeover
<http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/02/07/headlines/index.php?news=headlines_19855466.html>
The Nation

Critics demand island state 'must cancel' deal as Thai anger at Temasek is threatening to boil over. Singapore was warned yesterday to stop Temasek's purchase of Shin Corp otherwise it would face the wrath of the people of Thailand.

[Opinion]

*** Double You
<http://trompeloeil.blogspot.com/2006/02/double-you.html>
Trompe L'oeil

*** Open Your Eyes To Singaporean Drivers' Not-So-ANgelic Ways
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/2/7/focus/13313235&sec=focus>
Franky Maas, The Star

Once Singaporean drivers reach the border, or even worse enter Malaysia, they completely seem to forget any respect for existing rules and regulations, not to mention courtesy.

*** Temasek's 30-Year Returns A Robust 18%
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,369621,00.html?>
Eva Ho, Temasek Holdings, Straits Times

The five-year TSR to March 2005 mentioned by Mr Ho measures off the market high of March 2000 due to the dot com boom.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]