[MyAppleMenu] Dec 4, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 4 13:15:01 EST 2006

*** Go iPod, It's Your Birthday!
<http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/158033,SHO-Sunday-ipod03.article>
Misha Davenport, Chicago Sun-Times

It's young, it's hip, it's sexy, and it fits in the palm of your hand. It's also changed the way we listen to music.

[Opinion]

*** What Happens When The OS Doesn't Matter?
<http://www.mathewingram.com/work/2006/12/03/what-happens-when-the-os-doesnt-matter/>
Mathew Ingram

We're not quite there yet, of course, but would such a world help Apple or Windows more?

[Review]

*** Apple's Mac PC Offers World Of Windows
<http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/index.ssf?/base/business-5/1165131326175630.xml&coll=1>
Al Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard

[Sidetrack]

*** Dear Customer, We Are Listening... Just Be Quick, Okay?
Heng-Cheong Leong

If your customer is motivated enough to fill out a bug report to tell you the shortcomings of your product, you should really listen. And if your customer is going into great details, you should probably listen very carefully.

Unfortunately, Adobe <http://www.thisisbroken.com/b/2006/12/adobe_error_rep.html> doesn't seem to want to listen to all those details from some of their best customers. The bug report form by Adobe limits you to only 2,000 characters. And they don't tell you beforehand.

*** Rumor Today: iPhone iPhone iPhone
Heng-Cheong Leong

The question you might want to ask today is whether you trust Kevin Rose.

Kevin Rose leaked/predicted/speculated the iPod nano accurately back in 2005. So, it's up to you: do you believe the iPhone <http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/03/kevin-rose-confirms-iphone/> is going to be out on January 07, have two batteries (one for music, one for talk), and is selling for US$249 and US$449?

*** A Good Universal Canvas
<http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;249992019;fp;2;fpid;3>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

*** In The Devleoping World, Broadband Spans The Digital Divide
<http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/03/technology/btdivide.php>
Thomas Crampton, International Herald Tribune

Wi-fi, fiber optics and motorcycles spread the internet.

*** Open Source Projects Threatened By E-Learning Patent
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061203-8341.html>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

*** Content Businesses Don't Scale Anymore
<http://publishing2.com/2006/12/03/content-businesses-dont-scale-anymore/>
Scott Karp, Publishing 2.0

*** Pitfalls For Tourists
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/03/travel/03weekend.html?ex=1322802000&en=38358753d1f37aec&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Seth Kugel, New York Times

Here is a guide to spending an utterly hideous weekend as a tourist in Manhanttan, taking full advantage of absolutely nothing that the city has to coffer, and getting entangled in as many of its provocations and vexations as possible.

[Ramblings]

*** Equal Opportunities
Heng-Cheong Leong

The Straits Times reported <http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:be82b47ceb84f010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD> Lee Hsien Loong saying, "What is crucial now is to ensure that every talented Singaporean, no matter how poor, is able to move up through many avenues."

That means that every Singaporean should be able to go back to school. And that's not just at university level, but also at polytechnics, junior colleges, and secondary schools. There mustn't be any age discrimination in the Singapore education system.

Education is the key way for many of us to move up. And if someone, no matter how old, is motivated to go back to school, we as a society must remove as many barriers as possible.

It's time we stop simply concentrate on the vocational education. Learning to learn is as important for many people too.

[News]

*** Engaging Younger Singaporeans With Fresh Ideas Is A Challenge For New MPs
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/245171/1/.html>
Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore Fallen Behind In Investment In Johor
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/state_news/news.php?id=234190&cat=st>
Bernama

Singapore has fallen to third position, behind Holland and South Korea, in foreign direct investment in Johor over the past two years, Menteri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said Monday.

*** PM Lee Hopeful Mixed Signals From Johor Will Be Cleared
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=234135>
Bernama

Prime minister Lee Hsien Long has welcomed a recent call by Malaysia's deputy prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak for closer economic ties between Malaysia and Singapore, but noted that there have been "mixed signals," particularly in Johor, about Singapore's participation in the state.

*** Press Digest - Singapore Newspapers - Dec 4
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/061204/3/458my.html>
Reuters

The price of pork could jump by as much as 20 per cent because of a drought in Australia; An increaing number of Singapore companies are choosing to reward their employees with grants of actual shares rather than share options because of recent tax changes; The government will set clearer distinctions between citizens, permanent residents and non-citizens when handing out subsidies for healthcare and education, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong.

*** Law On Homosexuality Hinders Aids Outreach To The Young, Says Activist
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/158524.asp>
Sheralyn Tay, Today

To save young lives and remove the biggest sumbling blocks in Singapore's fight against HIV/Aids -- stigma and discrimination -- the law that criminalises homosexuality must be repealed, said president of Action for Aids Roy Chan.

[Opinion]

*** Workfare In Singapore
<http://memoryanddesire.blogspot.com/2006/12/workfare-in-singapore.html>
Memory And Desire

Singapore seems to be finally embracing a social welfare system.

*** Thank You Bloggers And Forumers
<http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2006/12/thank-you-bloggers-and-forumers.html>
My Singapore News

Bloggers and forumers, you are heard. And you have an important role to play. The MSM cannot do what you are doing. They only sing praises.

*** Public Service Salaries: Expanding The Discussion
<http://speranzanuova.blogspot.com/2006/12/public-service-salaries-expanding.html>
Inspirations And Aspirations

In devoting our attention to sslaries, we may be missing other incentives that could help recruit and retain talent.

[Entertainment]

*** Why Night Safari Is World Class
<http://coolinsights.blogspot.com/2006/12/why-night-safari-is-world-class.html>
Cooler Insights