[MyAppleMenu] Aug 26, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 26 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** The Assault On Apple's Battery
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2006/tc20060824_561396.htm?campaign_id=rss_null>
Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

A battery recall is merely the latest in Apple's catalog of woes, but the company isn't feeling drained.

*** Apple Recall Site Had Trouble With Battery Serial Numbers
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-6109860.html?part=rss&tag=6109860&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

*** Dwell: Making A Home In The Modern World
<http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/dwell/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

[Opinion]

*** Apple Issues Careful Wi-Fi Exploit Denial
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx/.3c7e97a7?@8.Az5gb4vdolF@>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

My take at the moment is that it's highly possible that Maynor and Ellch have found a security flaw in the built-in MacBook and MacBook Pro Wi-Fi drivers that, at the point that Apple made their statement about not seeing any "evidnece" of an exploit, they had not yet presented to Apple.

*** John Gruber Flames Out During Cross Examination
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=304>
George Ou, ZDNet

It appears that Gruber wouldn't even pass a collegiate course in "logic and critical thinking."

[Review]

*** Best Computer For School? MacBook
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003226770_ptmacc26.html>
Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times

*** FastTrack Schedule 9.0: Professional-Strength Project Management Software
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/reviews/fasttrack9/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jennifer Berger, Macworld

For experienced project managers who are escaping from Microsoft Project, FastTrack Schedule 9.0.1 is the program to trust.

*** The iPod Beach Guide
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2006/08/ipodbeach/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

Here's everything you need to enjoy your iPod on (or near) the water.

*** Microsoft Helps Bring Inca Language Into The Digital Age
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/15361900.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Associated Press

[Tech & Science]

*** New Age Nuclear
<http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/348>
Tim Dean, Cosmos

Nuclear energy produces no greenhouse gases, but it has many drawbacks. Now a radical new technology based on throium promises what uranium never delivered: abundant, safe and clean energy -- and a way to burn up old radioactive waste.

[Life]

*** The Little Documentary That Could
<http://www.slate.com/id/2148329/>
Brendan I. Koerner, Slate

What's IMAX's biggest hit? A schlocky NASA film.

[Ramblings]

*** LTA - We Waste Money And Destroy History
Heng-Cheong Leong

LTA is probably the agency that wasted the most taxpayers' money. From failed projects such as the GPS system on buses, to aborted projects such as the headquarter-over-canal, to stupid projects such as the we-estimate-time-and-you-guess-whether-got-congestion-on-expression display panels, LTA has probably wasted millions and millions of money paid by taxpayers.

Now, we discover things get worse. LTA also destroys our history <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp060826_502.html>. Without permission from anyone, LTA destroyed part of a 100-year-old structure that is supposed to be protected under the Preservation of Monuments Act.

Of course, destroying history is not something new. Remember the National Library that was destroyed because LTA want to build a tunnel? Remember the National Theatre that was destroyed because... er... for no good reason at all? And, of course, all the homes and families that had been forced to move and abandon memories, in the name of progress (read: roads and rails)?

Along the line of the "new NKF", I guess it's time we tear down the current LTA, rethink what we really want in terms of land transport management, and redo a new LTA.

[News]

*** Let Tiger Airways Fly Into Malaysia: Tourism Minister
<http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BT/Saturday/Nation/BT583442.txt/Article/>
Ooi Tee Ching, Malaysia Business Times

Singapore's lost-cost carrier, Tiger Airways, should be allowed to fly into Malaysia, said Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor. The move would further improve connectivity and would generate more tourism activities between the two nations.

[Opinion]

*** No More Self-Indulgent
<http://badnewsonthedoorstep.blogspot.com/2006/08/no-more-self-indulgent.html>
Bad News On The Doorstep

What a difference a few sentences from the right person makes.

*** Singapore's Resilient Strategy
<http://enterpriseresilienceblog.typepad.com/enterprise_resilience_man/2006/08/singapores_resi.html>
Enterprise Resilience Management Blog

*** Two Minds, Two Hearts, Two Passports?
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=6fadbe120b93a010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:5b00cd0b9564d010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Ong Soh Chin, Straits Times

*** Singing The Same Tune
<http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2006/08/singing-same-tune_26.html>
gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

*** The Myth Of Political Apathy
<http://philochristus.blogspot.com/2006/08/myth-of-political-apathy.html>
Benjamin Ho, Christian_Soldiers

The micro-managing of macro social issues coupled with the political macro-lization of micro issues lies at the heart of many of our current social problems.