[MyAppleMenu] Aug 10, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 10 13:15:00 EDT 2006

*** Nokia To Take On Apple In iPod War
<http://www.ft.com/cms/s/06f6dca6-2703-11db-80ba-0000779e2340,_i_rssPage=67b47d58-3034-11da-ba9f-00000e2511c8.html>
David Ibison and Kevin Allison, Financial Times

*** Tiny Screen, Little Interest
<http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-polltv10aug10,1,6387231,full.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews>
Matea Gold, Los Angeles Times

Tech-savvy teens aren't as eager to watch TV on their cellphones and iPods as networks might think.

*** WWDC Chat In A Nutshell
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/08/chatwrap/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

*** Apple Releases Security Update 2006-004 For Mac Pro And Mac OS X Server V10.4.7 (Universal)
<http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_releases_security_update_2006_004_for_mac_pro_and_mac_os_x_server/>
MacDailyNews

*** Apple Execs, Former GC Seek Counsel In Face Of Backdating Probe
<http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1155027932371>
Justin Scheck, The Recorder

Behind the scenes, Apple -- and some of its current and former executives -- are seeking counsel.

*** Leopard First Looks: Dashboard
<http://www.macworld.com/2006/08/firstlooks/leodash/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

The new Web Clip feature in Safari will let anyone make their own useful informational widgets. This is a great advance in Dashboard, for no longer will users be forced to wait for a programmer to create that perfect widget for their specific needs.

*** Apple Design Award Winners Announced
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/08/adawrap/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

*** Clunk Click Debuts Online Mac Backup Service
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/09/clunkclick/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Moving On To AppleScript
<http://davidweiss.blogspot.com/2006/08/moving-on-to-applescript.html>
David Weiss

If you have custom VB scripts, may I suggest looking into AppleScript as an alternative solution?

*** Where Does The Apple Stop And The Worm Begin?
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/08/apple_eats_whiners.html>
O'Rilly Radar

Ethical behaviour would be to establish a policy that rewards developers who create features you hadn't thought of, and then stick to it even when you don't wnat to.

*** Apple Mac OS X Leopard Preview: Who's The Copycat Now?
<http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/macosx_leopard_preview.asp>
Paul Thurrott, SuperSite for Windows

I just want Leopard to be better -- much better -- than the OS that Steve Jobs and company described this week and, yes, I want Apple to be more honest when it describes the products it and its competitors make.

*** Creative And Apple - On Positioning And Whole Product
<http://www.mingyeow.com/?p=42>
Thriving In Ambiguity

*** Too Many Features?
<http://www.cyncsm.com/2006/08/09/too-many-features/>
cyncsm.com

Apple is out to impress its curent and future customers, but at what cost to developers?

*** What Vista Can Learn From Leopard
<http://news.com.com/Vista+Views+What+Vista+can+learn+from+Leopard/2009-1016_3-6099283.html?tag=nefd.top>
CNET News.com

Which feature in Leopard would you like to see in Vista?

*** Quality Control Problems Or Growing Pains At Apple?
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060809-7457.html>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

If Apple had taken its time on the pacing of these transitions and spent some more time on quality control before rolling out MacBooks to the masses, the year of Intel would be a big hit not just for Apple, but for all of their customers, too.

*** Bingo Bust
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2006/8/9/4936>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

"One more thing..." - The most disappointing miss. But you know, maybe it was getting a bit too worn. Now Jobs cansave it for something really worthy... like his retirement.

*** Saying Goodbye To Visual Basic
<http://www.schwieb.com/blog/2006/08/08/saying-goodbye-to-visual-basic/>
Schwieb

We estimated that it would take roughly two years of development time to move it all over to Xcode and to Intel. That wold mean two more years before the next version of Mac Office made its way to consumers. During that time, we'd also nto be adding any other items our users have asked for.

*** Virtual PC And Visual Basic
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2006/08/09/693499.aspx>
Rick Schaut, Buggin' My Life Away

Many people who are not at all familiar with the exigencies of software development look at Microsoft's balance sheet, and the maxim that anything's possible in this industry, and wonder whether or not we're pulling their legs. They don't understand that the constraining resource isn't money. It's people.

*** The Question
<http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006/08/the_question.html>
Oliver Breidenbach, O'Reilly Network

Might it be a better business model for us Mac developers to bring ideas from the Mac platform (including Apple's) to Windows than it is to create innovative apps for the Mac?

[Review]

*** Weighing A Switch To A Mac
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/10/technology/10basics.html?ex=1312862400&en=c37fd706b9e68911&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Thomas J. Fitzgerald, New York Times

Is switching a good idea? The answer, as always, depend on the needs and preferences of the user. Apple's move to Intel processors has made it easier to run Windows on Intel-based Macs, and thus any software a switcher may want to continue using.

*** Hi, I'm Joe, And I Won't Be Your Server
<http://www.slate.com/id/2147396/>
William Saletan, Slate

The lesson of Lieberman's web site crash.

*** Chinese Tech Buffs Slke Thirst For U.S. TV Shows
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/world/asia/09china.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
Howard W. French, New York Times

Nmerous Chinese groups are translating U.S. television shows and putting them on the internet, dodging Chinese censors and American copyright lawyers.

*** The Science Of Zzzzz's
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/08/business/08jetlag.html?ex=1312689600&en=d3bbfbe007f186c9&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Paul Burnham Finney, New York Times

With the global economy now taking more executives to far-flung places like Beijing and Mumbai, jet lag is becoming a bigger aggravation, leading sleep researchers to work harder than ever to find suitable remedies.

*** Dead Ends And Dumplings In Beijing
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/09/travel/escapes/09frugaltraveler.html?ex=1312776000&en=aaac533fe3009ef5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Matt Gross, New York Times

In pursuit of the city I'd imagined, I had almost ignored the real Beijing before me.

*** Singapore Enlists Teachers To HelpBoost Factory Jobs
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aoDIBF9B5d6o&refer=home>
Bloomberg

Singapore is enlisting teachers to encourage the country's students to consider careers in industry, not just in services like banking.

[Opinion]

*** Why Tomorrow's Enlightened Singaporean Needs Today's Internet Ganster
<http://twostepsfromtwilight.wordpress.com/2006/08/10/why-tomorrows-enlightened-singaporean-needs-todays-internet-gangster/>
Two Steps Frm Twilight

*** Vandal In Bedok, Singapore
<http://daftbitch.blogspot.com/2006/08/vandal-in-bedok-singapore.html>
The Mind Of A Daftbitch

I suggest someone out there start a petition to cane the guy.

*** Twee Singapore Is Coming Of Age
<http://netnewsasia.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=2>
Henry Waah, Netnewsasia

There is an attitude which is beginning to surface amongst the locals here, no longer are they mindless sheep, they are beginning to open their eyes to the silliness of what their government is actually doing to them.

*** Increase Transfer Rebate If Bus Fares Are Raised
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=7532758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:6bd2f6a8014fc010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Lau Kai Guan, Straits Times