[MyAppleMenu] Aug 8, 2006

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 8 13:15:01 EDT 2006

*** Leopard Nipping At Vista's Heels
<http://news.com.com/2100-1045_3-6102989.html?part=rss&tag=6102989&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

So which will come first, the Vista or the Leopard?

*** Apple Preview Lacks Element Of Surprise
<http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/4100770.html>
May Wong, Associated Press

Shares slip after company unveils only the expected, ignoring stock option troubles.

*** Apple Execs Said To Get Options Windfall
<http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/07/news/companies/apple.reut/index.htm?section=money_topstories>
Reuters

Several options grants to top executives at Apple were dated just before sharp increases in its stock between 1997 and 2001, the Wall Street Journal reported Monday, citing a review of regulatory filings.

*** Apple Announces New Open Source Efforts
<http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/07/2359256>
Slashdot

*** New Apple Features Sends Users Back In Time
<http://news.com.com/2100-1046_3-6103007.html?part=rss&tag=6103007&subj=news>
Tom Krazit, CNET News.com

*** How Musicians Can Use iTunes And The iPod For Exposure
<http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/47859/how_musicians_can_use_itunes_and_the.html>
John Carmitchel, Associated Content

*** Apple Computer Announcements Disappoint Investors
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2000324,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Duncan Martell, Reuters

Shares in Apple fell more than 2 percent as investors had been hoping Steve Jobs would unveil his trademark surprise at Apple's annual software developers conference, such as a new iPod music player or a new digital movie rental service.

*** Apple Announces Mac Pro
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/07/macpro/index.php>
Peter Cohen and Mathew Honan, Macworld

The Mac Pro will sport Intel's Dual-Core 64-bit Xeon 5100 series processor, also known as "Woodcrest," running at speeds of up to 3 GHz with 4 MB of shared L2 cache.

*** Leopard iChat Gets Screen Sharing
<http://www.macuser.com/updates/leopard_ichat_gets_screen_shar.php>
Dan Moren, MacUser

*** Apple Previews Mac OS X Leopard, Leopard Server
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/07/leopard/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

New features include Time Machine, a persistent backup system that keeps track of your files and backs them up automatically, also providing you with version control, or the ability to restore specific versions of documents that have changed. Spaces lets you collect groups of applications required for various tasks -- e-mail and web surfing, for example, or film and video tools -- and switch between them instantly.

*** Apple Introduces New XServe
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/07/wwdcxcerve/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen and Mathew Honan, Macworld

The new XServe -- a quad Xeon, 64-bit server featuring Mac OS X Server Tiger on two Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors running up to 3.0 GHz -- completes the company's transition to Intel-based machines across its entire product line.

*** Apple Drops Cinema Display Prices
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/07/cinema/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** Microsoft Kills Virtual PC For Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/07/vpc/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

"Mac BU has made the decision not to move forward with a Universal version of Virtual PC at this time."

[Opinion]

*** DTrace Is Coming To Mac OS X
<http://toadstool.se/journal/2006/08/08/dtrace-is-coming-to-mac-os-x>
Thomas Stromberg, Something Or Another

*** Has Steve Jobs Lost His Magic?
<http://www.wired.com/news/columns/cultofmac/0,71557-0.html?tw=rss.technology>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Steve Jobs' keynote speech on Monday was the most uninspiring he's given in recent memory. It hints at the trouble Apple will be in marketing-wise if he ever steps down.

*** And You Thought Vista Was Looking Like A Colossal Failure Before
<http://weblogs.asp.net/jeff/archive/2006/08/08/And-you-thought-Vista-was-looking-like-a-colossal-failure-before.aspx>
Jeff Putz, Jeff's Junk

Time Machine was clearly thought of by coming up with a user interface that normal people would understand, and then the technical details were figured out. Where is the new file system and related tech in Vista?

*** The Myth Of The Living-Room PC
<http://www.slate.com/id/2147258/>
Paul Boutin, Slate

My theory is that PC-TV hybrid products aim for a sweet spot that doesn't exist.

*** New Mac Pro A Bargain?
<http://blog.dealnews.com/?p=45>
Jeff C., dealnews blog

*** Is There Hope For Apple In The Enterprise?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1998979,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Lisa Vaas, eWeek

Other than converting to the Intel chip set, Apple, you're just not committing to us in this relationship.

*** A First Reaction To Mac Pro, Leopard
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/08/dc06reax/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jason Snell, Macworld

*** The Intel Switch Pays Off
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2006/08/keynotewinners/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Whatever uncertainty was caused by the company's switch to Intel chips has now been eclipsed by tangible benefits to its product line. That's good news for Apple -- and even better news for the people who use its hardware.

[Sidetrack]

*** No Smoking? How 20th Century
Heng-Cheong Leong

Everytime I fly, I always wondered about how much electricity are being wasted by the rows and rows of "No Smoking" lights on top of the seats. The smokers should have gotten the message by now, and many cents off my ticket could have been shaved off if only the lights are not there.

Well, the airlines are finally admitting the signs are obsoleted. But don't expect to see cheaper fares, because you'll now need "no mobile" lights <http://news.com.com/2100-1047_3-6102711.html?part=rss&tag=6102711&subj=news>.

*** Open Source: Architecture Or Goodwill?
<http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/08/open_source_architecture_or_go.html>
Tim O'Reilly, O'Rilly Radar

*** The Infinite Arcade
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.08/nintendo.html>
David Kushner, Wired

Forget plastic discs. Downloading games to your console is the new way to play -- and it could revive the industry.

*** Multitenant, Yes. Hosted, Not Necessarily
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/SAAS/index.php?p=194>
Phil Wainewright, ZDNet

*** Open Source Scores In Higher Education
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39280547,00.htm>
David Meyer, ZDNet UK

A report shows widespread enthusiasm for open source software in colleges and universities but a lack of clear uspport from the top.

[World]

*** The Mismeasure Of Poverty
<http://www.policyreview.org/138/eberstadt.html>
Nicholas Eberstadt, Policy Review

America's most relied-upon metric for charting a course in our national effort to reduce and eliminate poverty appears to offer unreliable, and indeed increasingly misleading, soundings on what we are today, where we have come, and where we seem to be headed.

[Life]

*** Tomatoes
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/06/opinion/06sun3.html?ex=1312516800&en=bde8d9eea365176b&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss>
Verlyn Klinkenborg, New York Times

I am finally beginning to understand tomatoes. At least that's how it feels this year.

[Ramblings]

*** Problem Created By PAP, To Be Solved By SDA?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Look, when you rent an apartment from HDB, you are supposed to return the apartment to the original state when you stop renting. At least, that's how I understand the terms and conditions when I rented an apartment from HDB long time ago.

Now, PAP has leased a piece of land in Potong Pasir, which they installed some lights on the land. Now when the PAP returns the land back to SLA, shouldn't they at least dismantle the lights? The land is technically leased to PAP today Why doesn't the PAP has a single ounce of responsibility in maintaining the land?

And if the Member of Parliament is supposed to "solve residents' municpal problems as quickly as possible", as claimed by Mah Bow Tan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/223800/1/.html>, then the Member of Parliament should have the power to ensure problems are not created, as far as possible, in the first place. So, the question I would want to ask Mah Bow Tan, National Development Minister, did SLA seek Chiam See Tong's permission before the land is leased out to Sitoh Yih Pin for the PAP to create problems for the ward?

[News]

*** Singapore Shows Off Its Arsenal, But "Secret" Weapons Under Wraps
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060808/lf_afp/singaporemilitary_060808134718>
Martin Abbugao, AFP

*** Mah Says MPs Should Solve Residents' Municipal Problems Quickly
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/223800/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan says that Members of Parliament, having been elected, should try and solve residents' municipal problems as quickly as possible.

*** Meeting David Marshall In 1994
<http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2006/08/meeting-david-marshall-in-1994.html>
Dharmendra Yadav, Think Happiness

*** Singapore Criticised For Changing Regulations On Foreign News Media
<http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-08-07-voa24.cfm>
Barry Newhouse, Voice Of America

Media rights advocates are criticizing the Singaore government's recent decision to close what it described as a loophole in its restrictive media laws.

[Opinion]

*** Happy National Day!
<http://blog.charleslau.com/2006/08/happy-national-day.html>
Charles Lau, $1000,000 Goal Setting

*** I've Been Banned!
<http://darkcity-xeus.blogspot.com/2006/08/ive-been-banned.html>
Dark City

Would you believe it? I've been banned by the Singapore National Library. They refused to stock my book in all their branches.

*** Great Timing For Our Gamblers
<http://commentarysingapore.blogspot.com/2006/08/great-timing-for-our-gamblers.html>
Mr Wang Bakes Good Karma

Watch closely, as the MAS looks into dismantling Singapore's current rules on unsecured personal credit.

*** The PAP Should Focus Less On Fostering A 'Cool' Image. Emphasise Substance Instead
<http://straitstimes.asiaone.com/portal/site/STI/menuitem.c2aef3d65baca16abb31f610a06310a0/?vgnextoid=f832758920e39010VgnVCM1000000a35010aRCRD&vgnextfmt=vgnartid:fdcfbbc7be6ec010VgnVCM100000430a0a0aRCRD>
Teo Tze Ern, Straits Times