[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Sep 28 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** Podcasting Gold Rush Is On
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,68950,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Steve Friess, Wired News

The podosphere may be virgin terrain for the online world, but already the race is on to figure out whether there's any real money to be made through the new medium.

*** Apple Responds To iPod Nano Screen Concerns
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/27/nanoscreen/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple's Senior Vice President of Worldwide Product Marketing Phil Schiller said there are two completely separate issues going on here. One is the broken screen and the other is the complaint about the iPod screen scratches.

*** iPod Chief Not Excited About iTunes Phone
<http://www.betanews.com/article/iPod_Chief_Not_Excited_About_iTunes_Phone/1127851994>
Ed Oswald, BetaNews

In an interview with the German daily Berliner Zeitung on Monday, Apple vice president and iPod division head Jon Rubenstein expressed his feelings on the convergence of music device and cell phones, saying the devices are best left separate.

*** At Core Of SR Expo: Mac's Tiger OS
<http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050927/NEWS/509270401/1036/BUSINESS>
Steve Hart, Press Democrat

Although Apple's iPod sales shot up 569%, computers still half of company's revenue.

*** Analysts: Apple Making Inroads In Enterprise Market
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/09/27/xserveraid/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

While Apple is best known for its iPod and Macintosh product lines, IDC analysts say the competition is starting to take interest in what Apple is doing in Enterprise market, as well.

[Opinion]

*** More Or Less Than 99 Cents
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/2005/09/28/more_or_less_than_99_cents.php>
Sandy McMurray, Corante

Jobs has taken his case to the court of public opinion, and he's winning. If the labels choose to negotiate with Jobs in public, they're going to lose.

[Review]

*** What Is Darwin (And How It Powers Mac OS X)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/09/27/what-is-darwin.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

Darwin is the Unix-derived core that provides the underlying foundation for Mac OS X.

*** Toast 7 Titanium: CD- And DVD-Burning Software Features Impressive New Data, Audio, And Video Capabilities
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/09/reviews/toast7titanium/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jonathan Seff, Macworld

If OS X's built-in burning abilities aren't enough for y ou, you won't find a better burning application than Toast 7.0.1.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: iTunes For Windows Mobile
Heng-Cheong Leong

Is it true? Rumors indicate that Apple is expanding its iPod universe <http://www.downloadsquad.com/2005/09/27/itunes-for-windows-mobile/>...

*** Happy Anniversary, Podcast
Heng-Cheong Leong

Rex Hammock <http://www.rexblog.com/2005/09/27#a8325>: On September 28, 2004, Doc Searls presented an overview of podcasting on his IT Garage weblog in which he included a Google search of the word "podcasts" and came up with 24 results.

One year ago, podcasting is just a curious experimentation for me. Then in November, my wife got me an iPod mini for my birthday. Today, iPod and Podcasting is an essential part of my life.

*** What's Google Learning From Their WiFi Network?
<http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2005/09/27.html#a11279>
Robert Scoble, Scobleizer

What's next? Using what users are actually visiting and clicking on. Steve Gillmor calls that attention data.

*** Anti-Spyware Suits: New Era For Security Industry?
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1864303,00.asp>
Ryan Naraine, eWeek

*** Bittorrent's Grab At Respectability
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2005/tc20050927_3006_tc024.htm>
Heather Green, BusinessWeek

Its technology is beloved by illegal downloaders and file sharers. Now the outfit is raising venture funding in a bid to go commercial.

*** Hi-Tech DIY To Solve Local Problems
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4276180.stm>
Clark Boyd, BBC News

A machine that can make anything sounds like the stuff of the distant future, but a MIT program is making personal fabrication a reality.

*** My Stroller, My Savior
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/09/28/object_lust17/index_np.html>
Marjorie Ingall, Salon

I always sneered at stroller-obsessed yuppies. Then I discovered a double-decker dream machine that changed my life.

*** The Great Wheel
<http://www.loft.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_ID=327>
Bill Holm, Speakeasy

Literature and the national memory.

[Expressions]

*** The Photographer's Eye, The Photographer's Heart
<http://www.fairfieldreview.org/fairfield/fairrevw.nsf/f146883083505a1385256485000d91cd/ab3f834c4424d7a6852570830000dc97?OpenDocument>
Joe Trocino, Fairfield Review

Jim had left her about midnigth, and the rest of Katherine's night had been mostly sleepless. So first thing that morning, knowing what must be done, Katherine went straight outside, a gnarled steak knife from the kitchen in hand, and began scratching at her table.

*** Human Love
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120092/>
Doreen Gildroy, Slate

*** Melbourne Beach, 1965
<http://www.fairfieldreview.org/fairfield/fairrevw.nsf/f146883083505a1385256485000d91cd/5d332364cf415a61852570830000dca1?OpenDocument>
Nancy A. Henry, Fairfield Review

*** Cheap Seats
<http://www.spokenwar.com/howe1.html>
Tom Sterner-Howe, SpokenWar

*** The Cracked Jar Called Can It Be Taught?
<http://www.umt.edu/cutbank/poetry_02.html>
Mary Jo Bang, CutBank Literary Magazine

*** Experts Descend On Singapore To Discuss Anti-Dengue Measures
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/9/28/world/20050928100900&sec=world>
Associated Press

*** Singapore Flyer To Be Next 'Necklace'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/75040.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

"They convinced me that this is not just a Ferris wheel and I liked their explanation," Mah Bow Tan said.

*** 'Racist' Bloggers To Plead Guilty
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/75037.asp>
Today

Two men accused of making racist remarks on the internet will plead guilty in court on Friday.

*** Singapore: Bull Semen Improved China Ties
<http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005/09/27/1237822-ap.html>
Associated Press

Singapore said Tuesday that relations with the Chinese province of Shandong grew after it presented officials there with a "unique" gift: bull semen.

[Opinion]

*** Street Names: Pity The Non-English-Speaking
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,343500,00.html?>
Chia Yong Soong, Straits Times

Is the use of such 'so English' road names in Housing Board estates warraned? Cannot the roads be named simply (like elsewhere) as Sengkang Avenue 1 or Street 23?

*** Should 'Fine City' Get More Creative?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/75082.asp>
Siew Kum Hong, Today

Harsher penalties not the only way to deter obnoxious conduct.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]