[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 1 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** An iPod Casualty: The Rio Digital-Music Player
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112552661968028368-RYlh9P6GDaI5_GX2yY_HcfUCtfY_20060901,00.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>
Evan Ramstad, Wall Street Journal

The damage to Apple's competitors is growing and has claimed the brand behind the industry's first hit product: Rio.

*** iTunes Phone Raises Questions About iPod's Future
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1854580,00.asp>
Bill Dyszel, PC Magazine

The possibility that Jobs will throw his weight behind an iTunes phone begs the question of what he sees as the future of stand-alone digital music players such as the iPod, Apple's current cash cow.

*** iPod: The Obsession
<http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050831/1004016.asp>
Paige Hazzan, Buffalo News

*** Apple's Other Trojan Horses
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2005/mft05083120.htm>
Jeremy MacNealy, Motley Fool

In iPod, iTunes, and iLife, Apple has surrounded itself with strong products, which it hopes will soon lead to consumers buying more Macs.

*** Brakes Slammed On Mac Mini Test Drive Program
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/31/brakes-slammed-on-mac-mini-test-drive-program/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Analysts: Apple Suit Won't Pay Off Big
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1854136,00.asp>
Daniel Drew Turner, PC Magazine

*** Chizen On Apple: 'MacTel' Switch Not Easy
<http://news.com.com/Chizen+on+Apple+MacTel+switch+not+easy/2100-1046_3-5844899.html?part=rss&tag=5844899&subj=news>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

"Steve (Jobs) likes to trivialize the process and make it seem easy, but moving the apps over is not that easy... Getting over to MacTel is work. I think in the long run it's going to be great because what the users will get is better performance... and greater value.

[Opinion]

*** Did The Mac Make Me?
<http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/did_the_mac_make_me/>
Chris Howard, Apple Matters

Since becoming a Mac owner, not only have I been more productive in my creative pursuits and the creativity has seemed to flow more but I have more recognition from the things I've done.

*** The Amazing Mind-Reading iPod
<http://www.livejournal.com/users/macgirl_13/319374.html>
Soliloquy

This morning, I almost fell over in shock when Dante, my attention-seeking iPod (like its namesake), correctly guessed my thoughts three times.

*** A Small Suggestion For The Mini
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7706?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

The mini misses on the very thing that Apple is good at -- the total satisfying experience.

*** Patent Award Isn't Enough; Creative Must Be More 'Creative'
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/69899.asp>
Sia Yong Meng, Today

Instead of being happy with having "beaten" Apple on winning the United States patent, Creative should come up with more "Creative" ideas and marketing plans.

*** It Wasn't A Test Drive Anyway
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/31/it-wasnt-a-test-drive-anyway/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

THis was nothing more than a glorified return policy -- and a shady one at that.

*** Creative Labs' Bait And Switch
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2005/08/31/creative-patent-switch-cx_dl_0831creative.html?partner=rss>
Danit Lidor, Forbes

*** Creative Claims
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/08/creative/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

This is so obviously an attempt to steal some of Apple's thunder, I'm a little bit surprised Creative executives didn't just wait another week and show up during Steve Jobs' presentation next Wednesday.

[Review]

*** Apple's New 14-In. iBook; Mostly iLike
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,104290,00.html?source=x10>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

While the iBook is indeed a nice little entry-level laptop, I seem to have finally moved into the PowerBook camp.

[Sidetrack]

*** Why Did HP Stopped Selling iPods?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Mark Hurd <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2005/tc2005091_4317_tc121.htm>, the new CEO: Is the market worth leading? Maybe it is. But can we lead it, with no or very little technology differentiation? Doubtful. You have to go into places where you can lead.

I think Steve Jobs and Mark Hurd can be very buddy-buddy.

*** In This Age Of The Blogs...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Micro Persuation <http://www.micropersuasion.com/2005/09/bloggers_stay_o.html>: Maybe CNET needs to revisit their tagline "Tech News First." Really, no one can legitimately make that clai that anymore.

*** Podcatchers, Start Your Engine...
Heng-Cheong Leong

'cause dozens of new podcasts are up and running over at NPR <http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php>.

Too bad there are no full programs -- Talk of the Nation, Wait Wait, etc -- at all. Hopefully, something can be worked out between NPR and the stations on the best way to podcast all these programs.

*** Hi Grandma! We're fine!
Heng-Cheong Leong

>From Hurricane Katrina Refugee <http://katrinarefugee.blogspot.com/2005/08/hi-grandma-were-fine.html>.

*** A Baby Step Toward Wi-Fi Photos
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/technology/circuits/01pogue.html?ex=1283227200&en=2e8ceb8707c639ae&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

Every now and then, someone combines two technologies into a single new product, and the result is a triumphant new category that changes the industry. But of all possible combinations these days, few are more screamingly obvious than wireless + camera.

*** Ex-Critic: Hey! 'Rude' Diners Are Your Meal Ticket
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/30/AR2005083000317.html>
Phyllis Richman, Washington Post

Being the person who stood between the restaurant and the diner, I got to observe close-up both sides of these issues.

*** For Its Motorists, Only Parts Of Rome Prove To Be Eternal
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/international/europe/01rome.html>
Ian Fisher, New York Times

"The massacre of the cobblestones," as one Roman official put it, is well under way, part of a city program to lay asphalt on streets that are used mostly by cars, buses and scooters.

*** Taking Popcorn Fare To Paradise
<http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-wk-movies1sep01,0,2445388.story?coll=cl-home-top-blurb-right>
Merrill Balassone, Los Angeles Times

It's like moviegoing is new again when a producer shows free films in Fiji.

*** Forget The Med, Chuck Your Towel On A British Beach
<http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,7445,1560369,00.html>
Jackie Ashley, The Guardian

Beat global warming, the crowds and the queues by holidaying at home.

*** The New College Mixer
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/01/garden/01dorm.html?8hpib>
Bradford McKee, New York Times

Whether they know it or not, the 75 students moving this week into Alice Paul Hall, the sleek new dormitory alongside Parrish Lawn here at Swarthmore COllege, are being manipulated at neary every turn into devleoping a social life.

*** Mummies, Mugs, And Museum Shops
<http://www.archaeology.org/online/features/bog/exhibit.html>
Wijinand van der Sanden, Archaeology

Bog body gifts raise questions about using the dead as marketing tools.

[EOF]

*** Y Chromosome May Not Be Doomed
<http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,68707,00.html>
Associated Press

The human Y chromosome -- the DNA chunk that makes a man a man -- has lost so many genes over evolutionary time that some scientists have suspected it might disappear in 10 million years. But a new study says it'll stick around.

[Ramblings]

*** Where're Your Podcasts?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Channel NewsAsia, NewsRadio..., oops, Live 938: Where Are Your Podcasts!?!

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]