[MyAppleMenu] Oct 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 20 13:15:01 EDT 2005

[Announcement]

*** Good Bye, So Long... Until We Meet Again Next Tuesday
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, I'm off to my computer-less and internet-less weekend -- that means no web, no e-mail, no instant-messagine, and no updating of this web site.

This website, MyAppleMenu.com, will go dark starting now, until Tuesday, Oct 25th, 2005.

[News]

*** Apple Shares Jump Over 5 Percent On New Power Mac G5, Enhanced PowerBook, Aperture Announcements
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_shares_jump_over_5_percent_on_new_power_mac_g5/>
MacDailyNews

*** Close-Up On Aperture
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/10/aperture/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Kelly Turner, Macworld

Aperture is a pro-level application that promises to finally make working with raw images as easy as working with JPEGs.

*** Apple: Aperture Not A Photoshop Competitor
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/19/notpsd/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Darlymple, Macworld

*** Apple Updates PowerBooks, Power Macs, Intros Aperture
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/10/19/liveupdate/index.php>
Peter Cohen and Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Enter Aperture, Apple's "first all in one post production tool for photographers."

*** Apple Australia Hosts Oct 25 Music Event
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12927>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Apple Australia has announced a major music-related event on October 25, potentially launching iTunes Music Store that day.

[Opinion]

*** Some Software I'd Like To See
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8137>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** If It's Wednesday, It Must Be Time For New Apple Product Announcements
<http://daringfireball.net/2005/10/wednesday>
John Gruber, Daring Fireball

*** "Aperture" Finally Delivers Pro Photo Tool From Apple
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8141?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

If you're a Raw shooter who is trying to figure out the least painful workflow for managing these files, you're going to want to check out Aperture before maing a final decision.

*** PowerPC's Final Act?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8145?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

*** New Power Cords For Dual Core Power Mac G5s?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/19/new-power-cords-for-dual-core-power-mac-g5s/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Review]

*** The iMac Earns A Spot In The Living Room
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/technology/circuits/20mac.html?ex=1287460800&en=6382446f9725bcf8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

The iMac's sleek, virus-free, spyware-free operating system helps all of this work smoothly and quickly. And although there's room for growth in the TV department, the new iMac is yet another indication that Apple Computer is rapidly transforming itself into Apple Entertainment.

[Announcement]

*** Good Bye, So Long... Until We Meet Again Next Tuesday
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, I'm off to my computer-less and internet-less weekend -- that means no web, no e-mail, no instant-messagine, and no updating of this web site.

This website, MyAppleMenu.com, will go dark starting now, until Tuesday, Oct 25th, 2005.

[News]

*** Biometrics: Where Is The Business Case?
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,39020351,39232061,00.htm>
Karen Gomm, ZDNet UK

Lack of clear information on return on investment combined with interoperability issues are holding back adoption of the technology.

*** Finally, Electronic Paper Big Enough To Use
<http://news.com.com/Finally%2C+electronic+paper+big+enough+to+use/2100-1041_3-5903090.html?part=rss&tag=5903090&subj=news>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

Start-up E Ink and LG.Philips LCD have created an "electronic paper" display measuring 10.1 inches across, the biggest one ever made, and the latest step toward the dream of e-books and magazines, according to the companies.

*** Publishers Sue Google Over Book Search Project
<http://news.com.com/Publishers+sue+Google+over+book+search+project/2100-1030_3-5902115.html?part=rss&tag=5902115&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

The Association of American Publishers has filed a lawsuit against Google, alleging the internet company's plans to scan and digitally distribute the text of major library collections would violate copyright protections.

*** Why Hollywood Loves BitTorrent
<http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/19/technology/bittorrent/>
Daniel Roth, Fortune

The software makes it easy to pirate movies, but its creator has been careful to work with Hollywood.

*** David Vs. Google
<http://www.zeit.de/online/2005/41/suchmaschinen_en?page=all>
Heike Faller, Die Zeit

How a mathematician from New Jersey wants to overcome the world's biggest search engine: A trip into the world of algorithms.

[Announcement]

*** Good Bye, So Long... Until We Meet Again Next Tuesday
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, I'm off to my computer-less and internet-less weekend -- that means no web, no e-mail, no instant-messagine, and no updating of this web site.

This website, MyAppleMenu.com, will go dark starting now, until Tuesday, Oct 25th, 2005.

[World]

*** Seeing Right Through The Times' Transparency
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/19/AR2005101901963.html>
Tina Brown, Washington Post

The age of the blogosphere has produced a new genre of mainstream journalism: fake transparency.

[Tech & Science]

*** Old Ways Of Life Are Fading As The Artic Thaws
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/20/science/earth/20arctic.html>
Steven Lee Myers, ANdrew C. Revkin, Simon Romero and Clifford Krauss, New York Times

For the four million people who live north of the Arctic Circle, in remote outposts and the improbable industrial centers built by Soviet decree, a changing climate presents new opportunities. But it also threatens their environment, their homes and, for those whose traditions rely on the ice-bound wilderness, the preservation of their culture.

*** Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Nanotechnology...
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/10/20/nanotech/index.html>
Alan H. Goldstein, Salon

But were too afraid of quantum spookiness to ask.

[Life]

*** The Bakeries Are Here!
<http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-bakeries19oct19,1,4398005.story?coll=la-headlines-food>
Betty Baboujon, Los Angeles Times

The city finds a new reverence for pastry and bread with a capital B.

*** Game Over?
<http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/calwknd/cl-wk-cover20oct20,0,1719215.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Scott Martelle, Los Angeles Times

Video arcades might seem like a totally '80s thing, but they still have their charms.

[Expressions]

*** That Girl We Killed
<http://www.invisibleinsurrection.org/catfight/colona.html>
Sarah E. Colona, Invisible Insurrection

*** The Blues Are All The Same
<http://www.2river.org/2RView/10_1/poems/zaran01.html>
Lisa Zaran, The 2River View

*** On The Morning That You'll Die
<http://www.2river.org/2RView/10_1/poems/_freed.html>
Richard Freed, The 2River View

*** In The Bulrushes
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120973/>
Katha Pollitt, Slate

[Announcement]

*** Good Bye, So Long... Until We Meet Again Next Tuesday
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, I'm off to my computer-less and internet-less weekend -- that means no web, no e-mail, no instant-messagine, and no updating of this web site.

This website, MyAppleMenu.com, will go dark starting now, until Tuesday, Oct 25th, 2005.

[News]

*** Where Falling In Love Can Be A Fatal Mistake
<http://uk.oneworld.net/article/view/120789/1/>
OneWorld UK

Birds do it. Bees do it. Falling in love may be the most natural thing in the world -- but it can be punishable by life in prison or death if you live in Asia and happen to be gay.

*** Bridge Talks End On Promising Note
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/National/20051020074223/Article/indexb_html>
New Straits Times

A breakthrough has been achieved in talks over the new bridge to replace the Causeway.

*** Half A Bridge Too Far
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Frontpage/20051019084916/Article/indexb_html>
Ravi Nambiar, New Straits Times

Singapore warned of "serious implications" if Malaysia went ahead with its plan to build a half-bridge without the republic's agreement.

*** Warwick's Decision Disrupts Singapore's Plans
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1f392da4-40fa-11da-b3f9-00000e2511c8.html>
John Burton, Financial Times

Warwick said yesterday it would not proceed with plans to set up a full-scale university campus in Singapore after the faculty last week voted against it by a 2-1 margin on the grounds of academic freedom and financial cost.

*** Wary Warwick Won't Open Campus In Singapore
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/79272.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

Request for exemption from S'pore laws unrealistic: NUS don.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Announcement]

*** Good Bye, So Long... Until We Meet Again Next Tuesday
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, I'm off to my computer-less and internet-less weekend -- that means no web, no e-mail, no instant-messagine, and no updating of this web site.

This website, MyAppleMenu.com, will go dark starting now, until Tuesday, Oct 25th, 2005.

[Tunes]

*** Smell The Air
<http://www.folktheworld.net/download.html>
The Spectacular Fantastic