[MyAppleMenu] Oct 4, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 4 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Korean MP3 Players Get Cheaper After Apple Shock
<http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200510/200510040017.html>
Chosunibo

The prices of Korean-made MP3 players have come down after the body-blow dealt them by Apple's release of its new cheaper iPod nano last month.

*** UBS Analysts Predict Video iPod
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12788>
Macworld UK

*** Apple Cracks Down On Google AdWords
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=08272>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

Some recent unsettling events indicate that Apple may in fact be moving in the direction of preventing third-parties from using Apple trademarks in advertising.

*** Apple To Webcast Q4 05 Earnings Result Conference Call On October 11
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/apple_to_webcast_q4_05_earnings_results_conference_call_on_october_11/>
MacDailyNews

*** iPod Sales Could Top 10 Million In Q4
<http://www.vnunet.com/forbes/news/2143141/apple-ipod-sales-top-million-q4>
Maya Roney, Forbes

*** Download A Nano Case Template
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/10/03/download-a-nano-case-template/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** iPod Nano Vs Washing Machine
<http://www.macmerc.com/article.php?sid=2681&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0>
MacMerc.com

I'm sad to report that my nano had accidently had a run-in with the washing machine...

*** Avoiding Copland 2010: Part 3
<http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2005/10/3/1412>
John Siracusa, Ars Technica

*** Apple Is Never Going To Open Up; It's A Communications Black Hole!
<http://www.geeknewscentral.com/archives/004987.html>
Geek News Central

*** Protesting The Tyranny Of Apple
<http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2005/10/04/opinion/13305.shtml>
Tom Knight, Daily Princetonian

Don't buy a nano.

*** When Is Apple Going To Open Up?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7969>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

I think it's about time we collectively recognised that Microsoft is right at the leading edge of corporate communication, using weblogs as a tool to directly connect MS employees with users, Windows developers, and excitable nerds.

[Review]

*** Typing Time Saver
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/10/textpander/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

If you type the same string over and over, and you're looking for a way to save your fingers some wear and tear, Textpander is worth a look-see.

*** Little Gods
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2005/10/littlegods/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Ranchero Software Is Being Acquired
Heng-Cheong Leong

>From Om Malik's Broadband Blog <http://gigaom.com/2005/10/03/newsgator-buying-who-netnewswire/> comes rumor of an acquisition of Ranchero Software by Newsgator.

Who is Ranchero Software <http://www.inessential.com/>? Mention RSS and Mac OS X, and you can't help but think of NetNewsWire -- the standard where all other desktop client-based RSS reader are based on. And who is Newsgator? The web- and Windows-based RSS reader software company.

Does this mean the end of Bloglines support within NetNewsWire -- the whole reason I bought a copy of NetNewsWire in the first place? Only time will tell. :-)

*** Good UI Is Difficult
Heng-Cheong Leong

Hey, I was just implementing this particular feature (i.e. saving the application window's state and position across sessions) at work, and the author has described the frustration I've encountered quite closely.

In fact, for my application, I only reached step 5 and half of step 6. :-)

*** You Really More Hard Disk Space On Your iPod Nano?
Heng-Cheong Leong

How's 200 GB <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/ipod-nano-recall-128839.php> iPod nano sound to you? You can listen to all your 150,000 minutes of music... at 6 minutes interval.

*** Rumor Today: iPod Nano Recall?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Well, it's only one report, and who knows whether some droit in Best Buy isn't lying through its teeth, but Gizmodo is reporting that Best Buy told a Gizmodo reader that Apple has recalled the iPod nano <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/ipod-nano-recall-128839.php>.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Ends License Talks With Music Labels: WSJ
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-10-04T090305Z_01_MOL432563_RTRUKOC_0_US-MICROSOFT.xml>
Reuters

Microsoft has broken off licensing talks with the four global music companies, raising questions about the software giant's plans to start a subscription-based music service, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday, citing unnamed sources.

*** The Sorry State Of The Domain Name Game
<http://news.com.com/The+sorry+state+of+the+domain+name+game/2010-1038_3-5887937.html?part=rss&tag=5887937&subj=news>
Jon Oltsik, CNET News.com

*** Me Against My Students
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2127365/fr/rss/>
Adam L. Penenberg, Slate

How I use the internet to combat plagiarists, fabulists, and cheaters.

*** Google Faces Obstacles In S.F. Wi-Fi Bid
<http://news.com.com/Google+faces+obstacles+in+S.F.+Wi-Fi+bid/2100-7351_3-5887919.html?part=rss&tag=5887919&subj=news>
Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

Among other dissenters, phone giants SBC and Verizon and cable companies such as Comcast have publicly and privately criticized the city's project, calling it "foolhardy" given that low-cost access to the internet is already widely available to the public in San Francisco.

[World]

*** Why Ask Why?
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2127343/fr/rss/>
Christopher Hitchens, Slate

Terrorist attacks aren't caused by any policy except that of the bombers themselves.

[Tech & Science]

*** 9 Planets? 12? What's A Planet, Anyway?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/science/space/04plan.html?ex=1286078400&en=16098182eb3b853f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

In my daughter's circle of friends, one 3-year-old named Jared can reel off the names of all the planets. He and his parents are pretty proud, justly in my estimation, of this achievement. Little does he know, however, that the lords of astronomy are working against him.

[Life]

*** Getting In
<http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/articles/051010crat_atlarge>
Malcolm Gladwell, New Yorker

The social logic of Ivy League admissions.

*** Women In China Embrace Divorce As Stigma Eases
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/04/international/asia/04divorce.html?hp>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

Divorce was once a dreaded fate for women in China. Now, many younger urban women view it almost as a civil right, which has helped drive up divorce rates.

*** Parent-Child Bond Knows No Borders
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/02/AR2005100201078.html?nav=rss_print/style>
Donna Scaramastra Gorman, Washington Post

"How do you say 'You're my daughter' in Russian?" When I told him, he turned to his newly adopted daughter. "Ty moya dochka." She looked up at him and slowly, slowly her face lit up as a smile spread across her face. "Ty moya dochka," he said again, pointing at her earnestly. I sat on the other side of my window, invisible now, while father and daughter threw their arms around each other and my own baby kicked inside me.

[Expressions]

*** The Elephant Poet
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2120101/fr/rss/>
Dan Chiasson, Slate

*** Early Music
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051010fi_fiction>
Jeffrey Eugenides, New Yorker

[EOF]

*** Dolphins Sing 'Batman' Theme
<http://abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1473208.htm>
Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Scientists have taught dolphins to combine both rhythm and vocalisations to produce music, resulting in an extremely high-pitched, short version of the Batman theme song.

*** Singapore May Raise Minimum Prostitution Age To 18
<http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20051004/wl_asia_afp/singaporecrimesex_051004082703>
AFP

Singapore may raise the minimum age for prostitutes from 16 to 18 to bring its laws in line with internaitonal standards, a newspaper report said.

*** Changi Airport To Launch Self-Service Kiosks For Check-In Next Year
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/171683/1/.html>
Jeana Wong, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singaporeans Likely To Be Paid More Next Year
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,344678,00.html?>
Lorna Tan, Straits Times

On the back of healthy economic growth, Singaporeans are likely to get pay rises of about 4.2 per cent next year, which is even better than this year's average rise of 3.7 per cent, a new survey has found.

[Entertainment]

*** Visit To Singapore Finds Exotic And Delicious Foods In Every Corner
<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05258/571525.stm>
Marlene Parrish, Pittsburg Post-Gazette

Eating seems to be the natonal pastime in this tiny island city-state, and no matter where you go, you are sure to find something wonderful and exotic to eat.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]