[MyAppleMenu] Nov 16, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 16 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** iPod, Nano Strong In Retail Though Shuffle Stumbles
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/11/15/apple-ipod-nano-1115markets05.html?partner=topix>
Maya Roney, Forbes

"The bottom line from our survey is that all iPods have retained top mindshare with U.S. retailers."

*** Dell CFO Says iPod Helped Turned Around Apple
<http://today.reuters.com/news/newsarticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyid=2005-11-15T164223Z_01_HO556273_RTRUKOC_0_US-DELL-IPOD.xml>
Jim Finkle, Reuters

A senior Dell executive on Tuesday said that his company is far behind rival Apple in digital music, adding that the phenomenal success of Apple's iPod have reinvigorated sales of Apple's Mac computers.

*** Apple Releases Java 2 Platform SE 5.0 Release 3
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/15/j2se/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Opinion]

*** Mac OS X's Address Book: Problems With Edit Mode
<http://www.betalogue.com/2005/11/10/mac-os-xs-address-book-problems-with-edit-mode/>
Pierre Igot, Betalogue

*** My Son, The 8-Year-Old Garageband Composer
<http://tadspot.com/2005/11/15/my-son-the-8-year-old-garageband-composer/>
TADSpot

The generation of kids growing up now is one of the first generations where everyone is empowered to be creative.

*** Intel-Based Macs At Macworld SF?
<http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051115-5572.html>
Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica

The debut of x86 Macs is likely to happen faster for a handful of reasons.

[Review]

*** At Long Last, It's Safe To Grab On To Tiger
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/business/3461087>
Bob Levitus, Houston Chronicle

With the recent release of the third minor update bringing its version number to 10.4.3, I proclaim that Tiger is finally ready for most users to install.

*** An Introduction To Tiger Teminal, Part 5
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/11/15/terminal5.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Mary Norbury-Glaser, O'Reilly Network

In Part 5, I'll show you how Tiger Mac OS X runs regularly scheduled commands and scripts to execute recurring jobs.

*** A Dim View Of Spotlight
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/11/15/spotlightanlaysis/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Spotlight has tremendous potential... I just hope future updates will turn some of that potential into reality!

*** Small-Town Shops Bulk Up On The Web
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/16/business/businessspecial/16schneider.html>
Keith Schneider, New York Times

To some extent, the internet's influence on helping small businesses was anticipated. What was not clear was how the internet could contribute to so many downtown revivals.

*** 'Tagging' Gives Web A Human Meaning
<http://news.com.com/Tagging+gives+Web+a+human+meaning/2009-1025_3-5944502.html?part=rss&tag=5944502&subj=news>
Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com

*** Why Myths Still Matter
<http://www.salon.com/books/review/2005/11/16/myths/index.html>
Laura Miller, Salon

The religious rituals that surround them are gone, but we're still drawn to stories that transform the world -- and ourselves.

[Expressions]

*** Steelhead
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120100/>
Dave Lucas, Slate

[Ramblings]

*** 10 Most Haunted Place In Singapore
Heng-Cheong Leong

How many of these haunted places <http://aquazero.weblogs.us/2005/11/16/10-most-haunted-place-in-singapore/> have you visited?

*** Why Free Parking Will Not Be Extended To Saturdays According To The Government
Heng-Cheong Leong

The justifications <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,353040,00.html?>, as stated by URA and HDB in Straits Times:

#1: "Doing so would result in the carparks becoming congested when residents need them most, especially when residents need them most, especially when they return home in the evening or at night on Saturdays."

The same argument can be applied for Sunday's free-parking. Nobody is asking for free-parking during the overnight hours between Saturday and Sunday, as far as I can tell. Hence, in my humble opinion, this justification is not valid.

#2: "Revenue forgone because of the scheme might have to be recovered from other avenues."

The majority of the revenue will most likely come from season parking fees, which will remain the same. Minimal revenue loss. In fact, we can tweak the scheme such that only HDB and URA season parking holders enjoy free parking in HDB and URA car-parks. In my humble opinoin, this justification is not valid.

[News]

*** The Great Singapore Treasure Hunt
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Wednesday/Features/20051115154933/Article/indexb_html>
Karina Foo, New Straits Times

Think you know Singapore well? You may be proven wrong in the treasure hunt organized by the Singapore Tourism Board which lets participants explore some of the republic's best-kept secrets and win loads of prizes and cash in the process.

*** 33 Internet Users Here Probed In Piracy Crackdown
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/free/story/0,6418,353015,00.html?>
Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times

Police are investigating 33 home internet users here for illegally distributing music files online, as part of a global piracy crackdown by the music industry.

[Opinion]

*** Taking Down Army-Related Posts And Pictures
<http://miyagi.sg/?p=192>
Mr. Miyagi

*** TransitLink Reply Did Not Address Issues Raised
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,352983,00.html?>
Chaterine Ngiam Sok Huang, Straits Times

The regulation is not fair to parents who have to pay the fares of their pre-school children whose height exceeds 0.9m.

*** Strict Procedures When Escorting Offenders
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/84597.asp>
Chew Lai Leng, Singapore Customs, Today

We view all charges seriously and adopt strict procedures when escorting offenders.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]