[MyAppleMenu] Nov 14, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Nov 14 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Apple Upgrades Tech-Support Boards
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13124>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Seeing Red
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/icon/seeing-red/2005/11/09/1131407678977.html?oneclick=true>
Nick Galvin, The Age

"My advice to all who have this experience is to bypass Apple and fix it themselves."

[Opinion]

*** Turn On. Tune In. Take Over.
<http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/arts/tv/15038/index.html>
Adam Sternbergh, New York

Viewers, light your torches! The television revolution is at the gates.

*** Now Portable
<http://justinfrench.com/index.php?id=140>
Justin French

I kissed the idea of synced machines goodbye, attempted to ignore the recent money I'd spent on the tower, and decided that I was switching to the Powerbook full time.

*** Hearing Aid
<http://doc.weblogs.com/2005/11/13#hearingAid>
Doc Searl

Those of us with nothing to protect and everything to gain will provide the leadership here, for the simple reasons that 1) we're already doing it; and 2) we're the only ones who can -- because we're the only ones working creatively for both supply and demand.

*** Visiting The Apple Store Brea Mall
<http://sharp-eyed.us/archives/2005/11/13/visiting_the_apple_store_brea_mall.php>
Sharp-Eyed Blog

Apple scored a good slot in this location.

[Sidetrack]

*** Making Your Mini Not So Mini
Heng-Cheong Leong

So, there you were, writing your term paper with the bluetooth keyboard on your lap and white earbuds in your ears, when all of a sudden, the music goes silence.

That's right, the iPod's battery has run out of juice. So you grab your USB cable, connects to your iPod, and... well, you can no longer find your Mac mini on your messy table.

Yes, that's right. The mini is so small that it can easily get lost in all your stuff.

So, what's the solution? Maybe you might want a tower for your mini <http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-10629-A+tower+for+your+Mac+Mini.html>?

*** Steve Jobs Giving Away Mac OS X
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yes, you've read it right. According to Seymour Papert of MIT, Steve Jobs "offered to provide free copies of the company's operating system, OS X, for the machine," but was turned down because the designers wanted an operating system that is open sourced.

What is this machine? The $100 laptop <http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113193305149696140-442o71jo_IlBrLpyUeeOdsqDs7E_20061113.html?mod=rss_free> from MIT's Media Lab. This is going to change the world.

[Wintel]

*** Dell, Seeking Sales Growth, Embraces Style, Luxury
<http://news.com.com/Dell%2C+seeking+sales+growth%2C+embraces+style%2C+luxury/2100-1003_3-5949690.html?part=rss&tag=5949690&subj=news>
Reuters

Dell is trying to spice up its image -- and turn around lagging sales growth -- by shaking Apple's hold on hipness, but it may be tough to match its smaller rival's flair.

*** The $100 Laptop Moves Closer To Reality
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB113193305149696140-442o71jo_IlBrLpyUeeOdsqDs7E_20061113.html?mod=rss_free>
Steve Stecklow, Wall Street Journal

[Salon At 10]

*** Ten Years Of Salon
<http://www.salon.com/special/10th/2005/11/14/salon_history/>
Gary Kamiya, Salon

>From the dot-com madness to our Blackbeard-like refusal to die to making online jounalism history, it's been one hell of a ride.

*** The Salon Report On Kenneth Starr
<http://salon.com/news/1998/09/cov_10newsb.html>
David Talbot, Salon

We now know more than we ever wanted to about the president's private life. Here's what the public should know about the prosecutor who may drive him from office.

*** "This Is Not America"
<http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2003/12/16/miami_police/>
Michelle Goldberg, Salon

In Miami, police unleashed unprecedented fury on demonstrators -- most of them seniors and union members. Is this how Bush's war on terror will be fought at home?

*** Out-Foxed
<http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2004/04/24/fox/>
Geraldine Sealey, Salon

How Rupert's red-state cable channel waved the flag and beat CNN.

*** Cheerio, "Seinfeld"
<http://salon.com/ent/tv/mill/1998/05/cov_04mill.html>
Joyce Millman, Salon

Saying goodbye to the greatest sitcom of all time.

*** Meet The Metrosexual
<http://salon.com/ent/feature/2002/07/22/metrosexual/index.html>
Mark Simpson, Salon

He's well dressed, narcissistic and bun-obsessed. But don't call him gay.

*** Finding Fargo
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/07/19/fargo/>
Ann Bauer, Salon

For years, I fought fiercely for my autistic son. WHen he came back, I was still driven and relentless. Now, celebrating his 17th birthday in this strange city, I must learn from him the art of softness, and forgiveness.

*** Getting Away With It
<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/2001/11/02/microsoft_settlement/index.html?x>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

The Justice Department's settlement mocks antitrust law and leaves Microsoft free to ravage new markets at will.

*** 0wnz0red
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2002/08/28/0wnz0red/index.html?x>
Cory Doctorow, Salon

Programmers who hack their own bodies don't need exercise and never get sick.

*** The Age Of Computer Heroes Is Over
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2000/12/19/apple_trouble1/index.html>
Thomas Summerall, Salon

Apple fans demand nothing less than "insanely great." But is it even possible to be a revolutionary anymore.

*** Fear Of Links
<http://www.salon.com/tech/col/rose/1999/05/28/weblogs/index.html>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

While professional journalists turn up their noses, weblog pioneers invent a new, personal way to organize the web's chaos.

*** The Books That Changed Our Lives
<http://www.salon.com/weekly/bestintro960930.html>
Laura Miller, Salon

The essays in this special issue of Salon -- written by accomplished novelists and by Salon's own staff -- remind us that reading is at heart a passionate act.

*** Feasting On The Island Everyone Loves To Hate
<http://www.salon.com/travel/feature/1999/11/30/singapore/index.html>
Jamie James, Salon

Don't criticize Singapore until you've tried the kaya at the Chin Mee Chin.

*** The Last Temptation Of Kinsley
<http://www.salon.com/media/1998/07/14media.html>
Bruce Barcott, Salon

Did Slate's editor blow the New Yorker editor's job by not leaping immediately into S.I. Newhouse's lap?

*** The First Drag Queen
<http://www.salon.com/06/features/paglia.html>
Camille Paglia, Salon

America's smoothly efficient First Lady has taught herself how to act like a woman.

[Ramblings]

*** Press Freedom Versus The Internet
Heng-Cheong Leong

Is press freedom a non-issue in the age of the internet, as argued by Paul Wee Kian Nghee in the Straits Times? "In today's lightning-speed communications with which a newsorthy murmur can be relayed globally in an instant, such talk of press freedom is silly because one cannot stop the flow."

This is just silly. The same obstacles to a free press, when we are talking about dead wood versions, are going to be the same obstacles to freedom of speech on the internet. It may be more difficult to police, but only if and only if the authors are all living outside of Singapore.

*** Give Me Your Suggestions On Your Free Parking Lot
Heng-Cheong Leong

James Chi, in Today, wanted everyone staying in HDB apartments to pay for carpark fees <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/84098.asp>, whether they own a car or not. No particular justification was given by James, except to say that "multi-storey and basement carparks form part of the HDB landscape." Can anyone see HDB's response to be anything but a rejection?

But if this does go through, I'm going to pitch a tent at my local multi-storery car park, and rent out that space to the higgest bidder. :-)

*** Yeah, My Baby Is Cuter Than Your Baby
Heng-Cheong Leong

Catherine Ngiam Sok Huang, in the Straits Times wrote about some worrying behavior <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,352616,00.html?> exhibited by parents at a kindergarten concert.

Worrying? That's because my daughter is starting her kindergarten journey next year, and I do not know how I should behave. :-)

[News]

*** Battle Royale In Aljunied GRC?
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/84065.asp>
Lee Ching Wern, Today

Going by the current activity in the constituency, a battle royale could be on the cards in Aljunied GRC in the elections which many believe are just around the corner.

*** Lawyer Offers No Hope For Nguyen
<http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17237844%255E1702,00.html>
Herald Sun

There was almost no hope of saving the life of an Australian man sentenced to death in Singapore for drug trafficking, the son of the man who defended Australian drug courier Kevin Barlow said.

[Opinion]

*** Let Society Decide When A Free Press Has Gone Too Far
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,352199,00.html?>
Kevin Yong Ee Wen, Straits Times

Let us not leave it to one particular group to decide what is a responsible press.

*** Press Freedom A Non-Issue In The Internet Age
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,352660,00.html?>
Paul Wee Kian Nghee, Straits Times

*** Free Press May Not Be Irresponsible
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,352618,00.html?>
Teh Pei Jing, Straits Times

While I share Mr Chan's patriotic feeling for Singapore, he makes two implications I disagree with: that a free press is necessarily irresponsible and unfair, and that a controlled press is necessarily responsible and fair.

*** Please, We're Living In A Society
<http://samsies.com/?p=58>
Samsies

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu