[MyAppleMenu] Nov 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Nov 6 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Berlin Artists Use Parasitic Mac Mini In Subway
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/11/05/berlin-artists-use-parasitic-mac-mini-in-subway/>
Fabienne Serriere, Unofficial Apple Weblog

[Opinion]

*** iPod Captioning?
<http://www.4hearingloss.com/archives/2005/11/ipod_captioning.html>
Lisa A. Goldstein, 4 Hearing Loss

As they say, television is our music, and we're still waiting for our iPod.

*** Video Clips Of iMac G5
<http://worldofwati.blogspot.com/2005/11/video-clips-of-imac-g5.html>
World Of Wati

[Review]

*** Apple's Front Row Comes Closer to Couch-Driven Computing
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/05/AR2005110500263.html>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

In front Row, Apple has given us an interface obviously modeled after its category-defining, competition-crushing portable media player. With that lineage, the results ought to be a breakthrough hit. But they're not -- at least, not yet.

*** Open Source Turns Money-Spinner
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4407742.stm>
David Reid, BBC News

The source code may be free, but there is gold in software support, training and publishing.

*** A Journey To The Center Of Yahoo
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/business/yourmoney/06techno.html?ex=1288933200&en=11aa3a8e097005a7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
James Fallows, New York Times

While Yahoo is ever conscious of Google and determined to match it head to head in familiar keyword search, in the long run its plans for search seem quite different from Google's.

[World]

*** Migrant Worry
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/magazine/06wwln.html>
David Rieff, New York Times

In a sense, the debate boils down to culture and politics versus economics.

[Tech & Science]

*** Just Hang On A Second
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/05/opinion/05benson.html?ex=1288846800&en=6a9afd9d5456dde7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Michael Benson, New York Times

The leap second may seem insignificant. But what's really at stake is whether we as a civilization, for the first time in history, decide to uncouple our time-keeping from the rotation of the earth. That would be, to my mind, a serious mistake.

[Life]

*** A Literature Lover Strikes It Rich
<http://www.calendarlive.com/books/cl-tr-booktowns6nov06,0,5024431.story?coll=cl-books-features>
Kenneth Turan, Los Angeles Times

There is a mother lode of independent bookstores in two towns in California's Gold Country.

*** Political Fictions
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/books/review/06donadio.html>
Rachel Donadio, New York Times

Novels by politicians may meet with snide reviews and tepid sales, but they can't seem to stop writing them.

*** Seeking An Honest Marshmallow
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw11062005/taste.html>
Greg Atkinson, Seattle Times

A tale of deep weeds and strange experiments, with a satisfying end.

*** Trading Places
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/03/AR2005110300125.html>
Emmet Rosenfeld, Washington Post

A night school English teacher and a Honduran construction worker share lessons about literature and life.

*** Do-Over Dads
<http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2005/11/06/do_over_dads/>
Carlene Hempel, Boston Globe

The first batch of kids is grown and gone, but these men are becoming fathers again at 50, 60, and 70. How a second chance at fatherhood is changing men -- and both sets of families.

*** London Loses Its Culinary Cool To A Star-Studded New York
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/food/Story/0,2763,1635511,00.html>
Jay Rayner, The Observer

Michelin has launched its first US restaurant guide, putting the Big Apple ahead of London in the world cuisine league.

*** The Right To Be A Father (Or Not)
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/06/weekinreview/06belluck.html>
Pam Belluck, New York Times

Case study one: a pregnant woman wants an abortion. Her husband doesn't. Should he have a say? Case study two: a woman wants to become pregnant with frozen embryos. Her ex-husband opposes the decision. Should he have a say?

*** Prayers For Singapore Death Row Man
<http://seven.com.au/news/nationalnews/118715>
7news

A multi-faith religious service will be held to pray for Singapore death row man Nguyen Tuong Van's life to be spared.

*** Changi Flying High Despite Fuel Costs
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/6/asia/12520485&sec=asia>
Straits Times

High fuel prices may be hurting airlines but Changi Airport is still doing brisk business, for now.

*** Growing Resentment Over Foreign Labor Policy
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/6/focus/12513220&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Singapore's strategy of letting in large numbers of foreigners, some of them becoming permanent residents, has stirred up public bitterness just as opportunities for jobs fell.

*** Ad Tells Of Fate Awaiting Nguyen
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/ad-tells-of-fate-awaiting-nguyen/2005/11/05/1130823438313.html>
Catharine Munro, The Age

With fears growing that Australian heroin trafficker Nguyen Tuong Van could be hanged in Singapore as early as Friday, a gruesome anti-drugs campaign has been released by its government.

[Opinion]

*** You Misunderstand Us
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/11/6/lifefocus/12478225&sec=lifefocus>
Tim Yi Kai, The Star