[MyAppleMenu] May 21, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 21 13:15:04 EDT 2005

*** Graduates Get Free iPod Gear
<http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050521/NEWS01/505210332>
Erika Pesantes, Florida Today

Each student received a free iPod, a pocket-sized digital jukebox.

*** Tesco To Sell iPods In Non-Food Expansion
<http://www.theretailbulletin.com/index.php?page=5&id=6590&cat=news>
The Retail Bulletin

Tesco is raising the competitive stakes once again as it expands its electricals range to include products such as iPods.

*** Microsoft Expands On Xbox 360's Relationship To iPod, Macs
<http://www.macobserver.com/article/2005/05/20.5.shtml>
Chris Barylick, Mac Observer

Microsoft has confirmed that its upcoming XBox 360 video game console will synch with and view files stored a variety of devices, including Apple's iPod.

*** Widget Security Worries Dog Apple
<http://news.com.com/Widget+security+worries+dog+Apple/2100-1002_3-5715752.html?part=rss&tag=5715752&subj=news>
Joris Evers, CNET News.com

Though Apple updated its latest OS this week to solve a security problem with widgets, worries persist that the small applications still pose a potentially serious risk.

[Review]

*** An Introduction To Tiger Terminal
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/05/20/terminal1.html>
Mary Norbury-Glaser, O'Reilly Network

*** Taming Tiger: A Look At The Joys Of Spotlight
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/software/story/0,10801,101867,00.html>
Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

*** I'll Be Dashed
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/05/dashboard/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Miller, Macworld

What I'm waiting for is that one widget that doesn't replicate something I already have and really does something useful. Once that comes along, I'll start hitting F12 more often. Until then, I see no need.

*** Widgets Of The Week
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/05/widgetsoftheweek001/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

We'll highlight some of the Widgets we've found to be especially useful or well-designed, and we'll also occasionally point out Widgets that may have seemed like good ideas, but turned out to be a bit, well, silly.

[Wintel]

*** Google This: Is Microsoft Still A Bully?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/21/technology/21nocera.html?ex=1274328000&en=87be03b3c648e6ef&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Joseph Nocera, New York Times

Here we are five years later, and the technology landscape is drastically transformed.

*** Starbucks Aims To Alter China's Taste In Caffeine
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/21/business/worldbusiness/21coffee.html?>
Keith Bradsher, New York Times

What is striking about these efforts, by McDonald's and KFC as well as Starbucks, is that they have made few concessions to Chinese tastes, instead cultivating in China an appetite for Western favorites, like Big Macs and grande lattes.

*** Critical Condition
<http://www.calendarlive.com/galleriesandmuseums/cl-ca-critics22may22,0,4263605.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Scott Timberg, Los Angeles Times

Once almighty arbiters of American taste, critics find their power at ebb tide. Is it a dark time for the arts, or the dawn of a new age?

*** Office Culture
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/cd6cfbd4-c75c-11d9-9765-00000e2511c8.html>
Gillian Tett, Financial Times

Practitioners of social anthropology have traditionally flocked to exotic spots: examining the sexual mores of Polynesian islanders; studying disappearing tribal cultures in the Amazon jungle; wandering with Nuer herders in Sudan. But in the past few years, some have headed off to places such as accountancy firms and technology companies.

*** What Makes Sherlock Holmes The Supersleuth?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/20/books/20sher.html?ex=1274241600&en=42569db73c471374&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Charles McGrath, New York Times

Sherlock Holmes has enjoyed what must surely be the most extensive afterlife of any character in fiction.

*** Conjoined Babies Separated In Singapore
<http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SIN266649.htm>
Sebastian Tong, Reuters

Doctors in Singapore have physically separated 15-month-old Indonesian twin girls conjoined at the waist and hip, a member of the medical team said on Saturday.

[Opinion]

*** Never Been Sithed
<http://myveryownglob.blogspot.com/2005/05/never-been-sithed.html>
Mr Miyagi, My Very Own Glob {Curiosa Felicitas}

It started a long time ago, on a fine Saturday afternoon in Singapore in 1977.

[Technology]

*** MaxOffline Caused By Cut Cable
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/51869.asp>
Tor Ching Li, Today

"Investigations found that a third party submarine cable between Singapore and the Philippines had been accidentally cut."