[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 2 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Jobs To Kick Off WWDC 2005 Keynote
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/05/02/wwdcjobs/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

No surprise to regular attendees of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC), but Apple confirmed on Monday that CEO Steve Jobs will take center stage at the event's keynote when WWDC 2005 kicks off on Mondya, June 6, 2005.

*** The iDog: An iPod's Best Friend
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/02/the-idog-an-ipods-best-friend/>
Laurie Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The iDog dances, emotes, "speaks" and illuminates based on where you touch it, how you move it or what you say to it. But the coolest feature is the audio-in jack which enables you to use the iDog's built-in speakers to play your iPod through!

*** Hackers Aren't Just Picking On Microsoft
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7707616/>
Reuters

Anti-virus software and iPod listed as popular targets.

*** iPod Demand Stretches Supply In New Zealand
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/05/02/kiwiipod/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Louis van Wyk, New Zealand Reseller News

Apple's inability to match demand of its popular iPod portable music players with supply is once again frustrating its New Zealand resellers.

*** Small Firm Aims High With iPod Add-On
<http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20050502wo12.htm>
Ayako Hirayama, Daily Yomiuri

Macintosh product maker Sonnet Technologies has kept the faith with Apple through good times and bad. With the iPod now taking Apple's profits into the stratosphere, the 50-employee firm is hoping to hitch a ride to the big time.

*** An iPod Crime Wave? How terrible. On Second Thoguht...
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/02/technology/02ipod.html>
Michael Brick, New York Times

If iPods are targets of theft, isn't the implicit message that iPods are objects of desire? "You can't buy ads that say that."

*** Rows Between Jobs And Disney Boils Up
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22939>
Nick Farrell, The Inquirer

The book that Steve Jobs tried to ban has some interesting words about a clash between the Apple supermeo and that other Mickey Mouse outfit Disney, it trnaspires.

[Opinion]

*** After The Mac Mini, Is There Still A Market For Used Macs?
<http://www.mymac.com/showarticle.php?id=1998>
Neale Monks, MyMac.com

There remains lots of reasons to buy used Macs.

*** H.264 Is Amazing
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6972>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple: Predator Or Protagonist?
<http://www.networkworld.com/columnists/2005/050205kearns.html>
Dave Kearns, Network World

It appears that what Apple has done is to take meaningful, desirable third-party services and applications and "rollt heir own" inside the operating system, thus presenting user with a fuller package of features.

*** Changing Face Of Apple India
<http://news.techwhack.com/1191/changing-face-of-apple-india/>
Abhishek Puri, TechWhack

Apple has woken up to the reality that India can be a sizable market indeed.

*** Longhorn Mentioned In Nearly Every Apple Mac OS X Tiger Review To Assuage Windows Masses
<http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/longhorn_mentioned_in_mac_os_x_tiger_reviews_to_assuage_windows_masse/>
Steve Jack, MacDailyNews

Right now, Winodws users who are reading about Mac OS X Tiger have a very unpleasant feeling. It's painfully apparent that the personal computers they are using, even with the latest hardware and Windows XP SP2, are far behind Apple's Mac platform.

[Review]

*** Tiger Client, Meet Tiger Server
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6975>
Tom Bridge, O'Reilly Network

*** Tiger's Updated .Mac Doesn't Cut It
<http://www.ebyrne.net/2005/0502/tigers-updated-mac-doesnt-cut-it/>
Ed Byrne

*** Tiger OS Turns Spotlight On Strengths Of Macintosh Computers
<http://business.bostonherald.com/technologyNews/view.bg?articleid=81160>
Eric Convey, Boston Herald

*** ICeCoffEE And Tiger
<http://njr.pycs.net/weblog/2005/04/29.html#P59>
njr

Tiger is great except for the imposibly broken Find/Spotlight UI... The new version doesn't let you easily see deeply nested paths to multiple folders by just using the arrow keys on find results, which I've done since Find file in System 7.5.

*** Import OPML Into Safari RSS
<http://pimpmysafari.com/blog/import-opml-into-safari-rss>
PimpMyBlog

While there currently isn't a way of importing al your RSS feeds into Safari 2 (Tiger) here's a slightly roundabout that works. You will need a copy of firefox, with the Sage RSS extension installed.

[Sidetrack]

*** Look Ma, Two Hands
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dell computers are so easy to use that one can even simply, er, type upside down <http://broken.typepad.com/b/2005/05/dell_keyboard_a.html>.

[Wintel]

*** Longhorn Evangelism 'Team 99' Resurfaces
<http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1791340,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535>
Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft Watch

Microsoft plans to restart its stalled Longhorn evangelism effort with another all-volunteer army.

[World]

*** Does The Future Beong To China?
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7693580/site/newsweek/>
Fareed Zakaria, Newsweek

A new power is emerging in the East. How America should handle unprecedented new challenges, threats -- and opportunities.

[Expressions]

*** Along The Highways
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/050509fi_fiction>
Nick Arvin, New Yorker

*** Public Transport Fare Hike Not Justified As SMRT Still Profitable: CASE
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/145571/1/.html>
Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

The Consumers Association of Singapore has said this is not the right time to increase public transport fares, as salaries of the lower income have not gone up.

*** Singapore's Labor Union Plays Many Roles
<http://www.etaiwannews.com/World/2005/05/02/1115001894.htm>
Martin Abbugao, AFP

>From cradle to grave, Singapore's National Trades Union Congress provides for the welfare to members under a unique set-up that has seen it grow to probably one of the world's wealthiest labor groups.

*** Former Singapore President Dies
<http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=132128>
Bernama

Singapore's former president, Wee Kim Wee, who scored a worldwide scoop during his journalist days in the 60's, died Monday, aged 89.

*** Former President Wee Kim Wee Dies At The Age Of 89
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/145501/1/.html>
Debra Soon, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's former President, Wee Kim Wee died early on Monday morning, 5.10 am, at his home from complications due to a relapse prostate cancer. He was 89 years old.

*** Motor Workshops Upset By Insurer's Move
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050502_314587.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

Motor workshops are steamed up over insurer NTUC Income's persistent moves to cut back on repair bills, the latest of which has been described by their association as 'improper'.

*** Jailed In Singapore For Handling Out Flyers
<http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-1/28337.html>
Jan Jeklelek and Max Dobson, Epoch Times

A Singapore judge threw the book at two women for handling out fliers and VCDs exposing Communist China's persecution of Falun Gong.

[Opinion]

*** Singapore Government's Discriminatory And Suppressive Tactics Towards Falun Gong
<http://www.theepochtimes.com/news/5-5-1/28356.html>
Zhiyan, Epoch Times

*** Why
<http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2005/05/why.html>
TYM Blogs Too

I don't disrespect all the decisions this government makes, but I wish they'd come right out and say what they want to say, instead of leading us on a merry dance of consultation that twirls us right back to the starting position, from which they weren't going to budge in the first place.

*** To Dissent Or Not To Dissent? I Dare Not Question
<http://offkilter.blogsome.com/2005/05/01/food-for-thought/>
23 Degrees Off-Kilter

My personal opinion is that we're bascially a bunch of whingers. We (including me) just whinge, gripe about how crappy and stifled we feel, but we don't really do anything more than mere whinging.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]