[MyAppleMenu] Jun 30, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 30 13:15:01 EDT 2005

*** NPR Without The Attitude -- Or Radio
<http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/archive/2005/June/30/local/stories/03local.htm>
Brian Seals, Santa Cruz Sentinel

Podcast by UCSC duo now available at Apple's iTunes.

*** iTune Phones: Finally, Some Noise
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2005/tc20050630_3983_tc024.htm>
Olga Kharif and Peter Burrows, with Roger Crockett, BusinessWeek

The mobile phone -- or rather, a family of iTunes phones, ranging from low end to high end -- will become available to consumers before Christmas.

*** Apple Launches 'Back To School' Web Site
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_launches_back_to_school_web_site/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum

Apple has launched a Back to School web page, with its first special deal targeted to college student.

*** SigmaTel Shortfall Not Likely To Affect Apple
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/06/29/0629automarketscan09.html?partner=topix>
Forbes

*** Apple's Pie In The Sky
<http://www.smartmoney.com/barrons/index.cfm?story=20050629>
Bill Alpert, The Barron

The iPod shows whhy Apple is a great company.

*** Battery Upgrade Gives iPod A Charge
<http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-5768532.html?part=rss&tag=5768532&subj=news>
Michelle Meyers, CNET News.com

FastMac has created some buzz among those iPod users disappointed with the lifespan of their music player's original battery.

*** Interview With Apple CEO Steve Jobs
<http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=892335&page=1>
Jake Tapper, ABC News

*** Apple At NECC 2005: New Teaching. New Learning. New School.
<http://www.apple.com/education/neccphilly/>
Apple

[Opinion]

*** Apple's Porno Podcasts, Explicit And Unlabeled
<http://ipodlounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/editorial-apples-porno-podcasts-explicit-and-unlabeled/>
Kirk McElhearn, iPodlounge

I'm very disturbed that Apple, a company I've trusted to have goo djudgment, seems not to be concerned about the presence of pornography in their podcasts.

*** iTunes 4.9, Podcasts, More Like Time Shifted Radio
<http://gigaom.com/2005/06/28/itunes-49-podcasts-they-are-more-like-time-shifted-radio/>
Om Malik's Broadband Blog

The real podcasts are being passed off as "indie podcasts."

*** New Mac Mini?
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/06/29/new-mac-mini/>
Jay Savage, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The upcoming product announcements may be a lot more interesting than some new iPods and the much anticipated iPod phone.

*** Dude, You're Getting A Mac!
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/29/27OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/29/27OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

Seriously, I wish that Apple would exempt Xserve and Power Mac from this improvement program. I'd like to be reassured that something better than what Intel is selling to Dell today will replace G5.

[Review]

*** How To Play Windows Media Files On A Mac
<http://zachfine.com/blog/2005/06/08/how-to-play-windows-media-files-on-a-mac/>
In LA

[Sidetrack]

*** Please Do Not Lock Me In

*** What You Mean, "Old Jobs"?
Heng-Cheong Leong

One Canadian's Comments On Life <http://www.jennandlucien.net/lucien/archives/2005/06/i_miss_the_old.html>: I miss the keynotes that were webcast live, where you knew something cool was going to be announced.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Might License Xbox Software
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/30/AR2005063000223.html?nav=rss_technology>
Yuri Kageyama, Associated Press

*** Google Shares Mapping Technology
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/29/AR2005062902635.html?nav=rss_technology>
Associated Press

Google is throwing the doors open on the technology used to power the search engine's mapping service, allowing developers to create web sites and software application sthat merge Google's mapping information with data elsewhere.

*** Web Content By And For The Masses
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/29/technology/29content.html?pagewanted=all>
John Markoff, New York Times

>From photo- and calendar-sharing services to "citizen journalist" sites and annotated satellite images, the internet is morphing yet again. A remarkable array of software systems makes it simple to share anything instantly, and sometimes enhance it along the way.

*** The Second Coming Of Sartre
<http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/books/features/article226073.ece>
John Lichfield, The Independent

His philosophy inspired a generation, then drifted out of fashion. Now, 100 years after his birth, the life and work of Jean-Paul Sartre are once again highly relevant -- and bitterly controversial.

*** Singapore, Qantas Holding Merger Talks
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/Business/Singapore-Qantas-holding-merger-talks/2005/06/30/1119724753573.html?oneclick=true>
AAP

Singapore's transport minister confirmed that Singapore Airlines and Australia flag carrier Qantas are holding talks about joining businesses.

*** Singapore Won't Tolerate Olympic Protests
<http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/28/sports/s105052D87.DTL>
Associated Press

Singapore police intend to clamp down on any protest designed to disrupt the vote for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

[Opinion]

*** Where is The Love
<http://www.michigan-experience.com/?p=75>
The Michigan Experience

Singapore is lacking a soul, or if it does have one, then it's gradually fizzing out.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]