[MyAppleMenu] Jun 22, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 22 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** CodeWeavers CrossOver To Support Intel-Based Macs
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/22/crossover/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

CodeWeavers on Wednesday announced plans to support Intel-based Macs. CodeWeavers makes CrossOver and CrossOver Office. The software allows Linux users to use software designed to work on Windows operating systems without needing to have Windows installed.

*** Creatives Customize iPod Shuffles
<http://www.digitmag.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4953>
Digit

While those white earbuds may still be the it accessory, to really turn heads, you'll want them coming not from an iPod, but an Altoids tin. Or a pack of gum. Or maybe even a hand-sewn, beaded Hello Kitty case. in short, you're going to need to mod that shuffle up.

*** Pod Slurping Dangerous To Enterprises
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/164900847>
TechWeb

With more than 30 million iPods in circulation and models packing as much as 30GB of storage space, the gizmo makes a perfect tool for data theft.

*** Interview: Odeo Founder, Evan Williams
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/06/evanwilliams/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

Blogging pioneer moves into podcasts.

*** Logitech To Debut Wireless Headphones For iPod
<http://www.ipodlounge.com/index.php/news/comments/4572/>
Larry Angell, iPodlounge

*** Positive Vibes For Audible's Podcasting Venture
<http://www.bluestein.com/archives/2005/06/postiive_vibes.html>
Richard Bluestein

The spoken word company is about to launch its podcasting solution this Friday at Gnomedex.

[Opinion]

*** Dashboard Widgets: Streaming Radio
<http://www.woodstudios.net/blog/archives/2005/06/dashboard_widge.html>
Wood Words

[Review]

*** iCurve
<http://www.toolpicks.com/?p=133>
Tool Picks

The iCurve is nothing more than a piece of plastic. But oh, what a piece of plastic it is.

*** Freezing The Play Order Of A Shuffled iTunes Playlist
<http://ithink.ch/blog/archives/2005/06/21/freezing_the_play_order_of_a_shuffled_itunes_playlist.html>
Obaum's Delirium

*** Tweaking Tiger Mail
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/06/21/mail.html>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Mail doesn't have to remain in the default state, and utilities to tweak it so it looks more like it used to popped up very quickly after Tiger was released.

*** Shuffle And Missing Playcounts
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/06/shuffcount/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** iTunes 4.8's Movie Error
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/06/itunesmovieerr/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>

*** Compatible With iTunes?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I remember that, once upon a time, there was a whole host of MP3 players that were marked compatible with iTunes on the Macintosh. What happened to them? Did everyone just gave up and went home?

*** Apple's Appeal
Heng-Cheong Leong

We continue to be fascinated by Apple's advertisements, whether they are on the train <http://www.flickr.com/photos/48909189@N00/20832549/> or bus stops <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mercylessming/20794406/>.

*** New Addition To The iPod Family
Heng-Cheong Leong

Introducing the iPod Flea <http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/22/technology/poguesposts/22pogues-posts.html?ex=1277179200&en=181744891ba6b226&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>: size of a tic-tac, and holds one song.

Stick one into your left ear, one into your right ear, and you have your very own mash-up. :-)

*** SummerTime
Heng-Cheong Leong

Here's 50 great summertime projects <http://mundy.org/blog/index.php?p=40> for your and your Mac mini.

*** Citizen Reporting Next?
Heng-Cheong Leong

These are definitely still columnist rather than journalist, but look at the recent reports from Singapore's blogosphere: Fire at Plaza Singapura mall <http://blinkymummy.blogspot.com/2005/06/fire-at-plaza-singapura.html>, and Form Prank at Ngee Ann City mall <http://harosingapore.blogspot.com/2005/06/terrorists-poison-ngee-ann-city.html>...

*** WTF Is WTF
Heng-Cheong Leong

WTF may mean World Taekwondo Federation <http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200506/kt2005062219060544430.htm>, but almost everyone, including me, will read it otherwise. :-)

*** Finding Time For Technology
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111895097680461724-BiiQZNB3JjGI21k_VGIRrF_q5rM_20060621,00.html?mod=rss_free>
Lee Gomes, Wall Street Journal

*** Patent Absurdity
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/comment/story/0,12449,1510566,00.html>
Richard Stallman, The Guardian

If patent law had been applied to novels in the 1880s, great books would not have been written. If the EU applies it to software, every computer user will be restricted.

*** Inside Applied Minds
<http://wired.com/news/20050621_appliedminds.html?tw=wn_tophead_1>
Xeni Jardin, Wired News

>From programs that render office chatter incomprehensible to topographical maps you can manipulate by hand, this research and development firm mixes art and engineering in offbeat ways.

[Linux]

*** Fedora: Still Red Hat's Baby
<http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-5755911.html?part=rss&tag=5755911&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

[Tech & Science]

*** Inconstant Constants
<http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=0005BFE6-2965-128A-A96583414B7F0000>
John D. Barrow and John K. Webb, Scientific American

Do the inner workings of nature change with time?

[Life]

*** Still Love At First Bite
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/21/AR2005062101747.html>
Jose Antonio Vargas, Washington Post

Oh, the absolute thrill of being 25! The dots before you, waiting to be connected. Or gobbled. Oh, to be Pac-Mac!

*** For This Author, Writing Is Only The Beginning
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/22/books/22jane.html?ex=1277092800&en=d0d015aa132d89e0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Edward Wyatt, New York Times

Janet Evanovich has transformed herself from a failing writer into a mini-industry.

[Ramblings]

*** Citizen Reporting Next?
Heng-Cheong Leong

These are definitely still columnist rather than journalist, but look at the recent reports from Singapore's blogosphere: Fire at Plaza Singapura mall <http://blinkymummy.blogspot.com/2005/06/fire-at-plaza-singapura.html>, and Form Prank at Ngee Ann City mall <http://harosingapore.blogspot.com/2005/06/terrorists-poison-ngee-ann-city.html>...

[News]

*** Singapore Airlines Says Qantas Merger Idea 'Interesting'
<http://www.forbes.com/home/feeds/afx/2005/06/22/afx2105285.html>
AFX

Two days after expressing little interest in merging with its Australian rival, SIA said industry consolidation was 'logical', although it continued to emphasize that such reforms remain a long way off.

*** Australia Hasn't 'Shut Door' On Singapore Air, Howard Says
<http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000081&sid=aK2irq.51vSI&refer=australia>
Bloomberg

Australia hasn't permanently ruled out giving Singapore Airlines permission to fly between Australia and the U.S., Prime Minister John Howard said.

*** Many Singaporeans Feel Hawker Centers, Wet Markets Should Be Preserved
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/153947/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Toilet, Dick And Hairy
<http://licencetospill.net/?p=89>
Licencetospill.net

This is the result of not studying biology in school.

*** Disorientation
<http://singadventure.blogspot.com/2005/06/disorientation.html>
Singapore Adventure

*** Plastics Meet 'Green' Objectives
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/57432.asp>
Ronald Lim, Singapore Plastic Industry Association, Today

Fallacy to think banning or imposinb taxes will alleviate problem of littering.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]