[MyAppleMenu] Jun 18, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 18 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Adobe Celebrates Recrod Revenue
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11878>
Macworld UK

Adobe has reported record revenue for its second quarter 2005 and seen earnings jump 37 per cent.

*** Hacking Your Car Stereo
<http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/portable-media/ipod/hacking-your-car-stereo-108421.php>
Gizmodo

iPod enthusiast Matt Gilbert has thrown together a nice, cost-efficient hack to get the iPod running directly to a car stereo without having an auxiliary input.

*** All iPods In One Basket
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1136999>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

This is the first iPod shop in Paris.

*** Fashion Accessory For iPod Heads
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=1137044>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

*** iPod Shuffle Mods A Hit Online
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/06/shufflemods/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Mathew Honan, Playlist

Pimping your shuffle.

[Opinion]

*** Dashboard Dilemma
<http://ppleyard.org.uk/archives/2005/06/18/dashboard-dilemma.html>
David Appleyard

*** Dell And Mac OS X
<http://www.microsoftmonitor.com/archives/008821.html>
Joe Wilcox, Microsoft Monitor Weblog

It's hard to ever imagine Apple CEO Steve Jobs and Michael Dell all huggy and friendly on stage the way Sun's Scott McNealy and Microsoft's Steve Ballmer have been.

*** iTunes Feature Wish: Podcast This Artist
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2005/06/itunes_feature.html>
Matthew Haughey, A Whole Lotta Nothing

I guarantee I'll buy more music if my iTunes library suddenly becomes a tool to help me with new music discovery.

*** Apple And Nokia: Who Approached Who?
<http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008508.html>
Russell Beattie

What if it was actually Apple who approached Nokia about creating a new web browser based on their Safari OSS technology?

[Review]

*** Syncing iTunes
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/06/17/syncing_itunes.html>
David Miller, O'Reilly Network

*** Exporting Keynote 2 To PowerPoint
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/06/exportkeynote2/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>

*** Can You Still Call This Thing A Pizza?
Heng-Cheong Leong

I thought it is already quite bad to have a curry chicken pizza at the local Pizza Hut here in Singapore, but to have a pizza filled with condensed milk <http://www.bigwhiteguy.com/archive/2005/06/18/sweet_pizza/index.php> over in Hong Kong?

*** Rumor Today: Big iTunes (Podcast Edition) Launch Coming Ahead
Heng-Cheong Leong

AppleInsider <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1140>: iTunes 4.9 is reportedly nearing the final stages of development -- about three weeks ahead of schedule. [Apple] now plans to unveil the software at the end of June or by the first weekof July.

*** Intel Builds All-In-One Wireless Radio Package
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/17/HNintelallinone_1.html>
Tom Krazit, IDG News Service

Device lowers the cost of building wireless networking technology into a notebook, cellphone, or PDA.

*** Keeping Moviegovers Away From The Dark Side
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/18/technology/18glick.html?ex=1276747200&en=eff6a5db3f9bc5ac&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Steve Lohr, New York Times

Music came first, but now the movie business is facing its own internet challenge.

[World]

*** Turn On, Tune In, Veg Out
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/17/opinion/17stephenson.html?ei=5090&en=a693ccc4ec008424&ex=1276660800&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Neal Stephenson, New York Times

If the "Star Wars" movies are remembered a century from now, it'll because they are such exact parables for this sate of affairs.

[Tech & Science]

*** Recent Series Of Earthquakes In California Foreshadows The Big One. Or Maybe Not.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/18/national/18quake.html?ex=1276747200&en=51a6d15611711827&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Dean E. Murphy and Nick Madigan, New York Times

Just as medicine can produce differing opinions, seismology is not always as precise as some might hope.

[Life]

*** The Doofus Dad
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/18/opinion/18tierney.html?ex=1276747200&en=7f41864ec2bfeb1b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
John Tierney, New York Times

Yes, Homer Simpson may want to duck out for a beer sometimes, but when he sits on that couch with his family he does not look like a man longing to escape. He is at peace. Fatherhood has created on more happy doofus.

*** Singapore's Japan Prostitute Era Paved Over
<http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20050618f1.htm>
Takehiko Kajita, Japan Times

Countless Japanese women worked in Singapore as prostitutes between the late 19th century and early 20th century, women who were referred to simply as "Karayuki-san."