[MyAppleMenu] Jun 10, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 10 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Developers Get Taste Of Intel-Based Macs
<http://news.com.com/Developers+get+taste+of+Intel-based+Macs/2100-1016_3-5739589.html?tag=nefd.lede>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

In late-night sessions this week, Apple developers have been getting their first look at how much work they have ahead to convert their programs to run on Intel-based Macs.

*** Apple Confirms Two New UK Retail Stores
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11804>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Continuing its retail expansion, Apple has confirmed two new UK stores in Manchester and Sheffield.

*** Pentium M May Become Next Apple Core
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1825776,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John G. Spooner, eWeek

*** Students 'Bribed' By iPod Scheme
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/4072378.stm>
BBC News

Unemployed teenagers are being offered iPods to take part in a course aimed at helping them to find work.

*** Apple To Open Computer Shops In Czech Republic
<http://www.praguemonitor.com/ctk/?id=20050608F00268;cat=business>
Prague Daily Monitor

*** Unfazed, IBM Pumps Power Chip Program
<http://news.com.com/Unfazed%2C+IBM+pumps+Power+chip+program/2100-1006_3-5739479.html?part=rss&tag=5739479&subj=news>
Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

Fresh after getting publicly dumped by Apple, IBM is taking new measures to spread its Power processors and make them a stronger competitor to Intel chips.

*** Roxio Software Targets iPod Users
<http://news.com.com/Roxio+software+targets+iPod+users/2100-1046_3-5739816.html?part=rss&tag=5739816&subj=news>
CNET News.com

Digital media company Roxio is offering a software suite designed to let iPod owners fine-tune their song collections and other audio files.

*** Security Update 2005-006 Released
<http://emperor.tidbits.com/webx?14@542.EzyBabyX2WB.0@.3c4f5c5c!discloc=.3c699618>
Adam Engst, TidBITS

*** Apple, 7-Eleven Team Up For iTunes Slurpee Promo
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/06/09/slurpee/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

Each promotional 32-ounce Slurpee cup is marked with a 12-digit code that's redeemable for one free song from the iTunes Music Store.

*** Apple Offers WebKit Open Source Project
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/06/09/webkit/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Apple's site provides source code access for the software the company uses to create its Safari web browser.

*** Tougher Days, Bolder Apple
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2005/tc2005069_1733_tc119.htm>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

The big switch to Intel chips comes just as a sales streak is cooling. And, says one analyst, "That introduces risk."

*** Antitrust Review Of Adobe/Macromedia Acquisition Extended
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=11792>
Macworld UK

[Opinion]

*** Some More Pieces To The Apple Puzzle
<http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2005/06/some_more_piece.html>
Applepeels

One of the interesting things that happened at Apple over the last four to five years, is that almost every manager hired at the Director level or above has had not a hardware background, but a software background.

*** Are Tiger's Features Compelling Enough?
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/08/24OPstrategic_1.html>
Jon Udell, InfoWorld

The real competition for the new version of Mac OS X is the network itself.

*** The Speed's The Thing
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/06/wwdcreax/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

*** Did Apple Sue The Rumor Blogs To Keep Intel Deal Quiet?
<http://weblog.infoworld.com/foster/2005/06/09.html#a263>
Ed Foster, InfoWorld

Apple feared that the stories that for years had swirled around its possible switch to Intel would become grist for the rumor mill websites, and ultimately enough information from knowledgeable sources would surface to make it clear that it really was likely to heppen. So rather than the Mac mini hitting the market as the next big thing from Apple, it might instead have been perceived for what it really is: a last ditch shot at moving some PowerPC-based iron in volume before the truth about their future plans became known.

*** Going For Broke
<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050609.html>
Robert X. Cringely, PBS

If Intel was able to own the Mac OS and make it available to all the OEMs, it could break the back of Microsoft. And if they tuned the OS to take advantage of unique features that only Intel had, they would put AMD back in the box, too. Steve Jobs finally beats Bill Gates. And with the sale of Apple to Intel, Steve accepts the position of CEO of the Pixar/Disney/Sony Media Company. Remember, you read it here first.

*** What The Apple Plan To Switch To Intel Chips Means for Customers
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB111826877260754662-bvN1SKR8f6qMxe8RoV5g6PdRooM_20060608,00.html?mod=public_home_us>
Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

In the long term, the change will strengthen Apple and the Mac, which is good news for anyone devoted to that platform or considering switching to it.

*** How Apple's Intel Switch Will Affect Users
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy09.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

Folks, the world of computing just got a lot more interesting.

[Review]

*** Dora The Explorer: Animal Adventures
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.dora.html>
Roman Loyola, MacAddict

*** Nisus Writer Express
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.nisus.html>
Mary Tyler, MacAddict

With its new features, Express is nipping at Word's heels.

*** Robin Hood: The Legend Of Sherwood
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.robinhood.html>
Gil Loyola, MacAddict

*** Popcorn
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.popcorn.html>
Noah Tsutsui, MacAddict

Popcorn is a simple, stable, and worth the money for anyone with DVD-backup needs.

*** Shade 7 Standard
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.shade.html>
David Biedny, MacAddict

While it's not the best choice for instant 3D gratification, Shade 7 Standard offers a strong mix of powerful modeling tools and killer rendering quality that will appeal to artists who can live without advanced animation wonders.

*** Tom Clancy's Rainbox Six 3: Athena Sword
<http://www.macaddict.com/issues/0506/rev.rainbowsix.html>
Helmut Kobler, MacAddict

Athena Sword has all the realism and tension of Raven Shield, but it winds up feeling like a carbon copy.

[Sidetrack]

*** Sometimes, Having Steve Jobs Control Everything is A Good Thing
Heng-Cheong Leong

For example, buggy drivers <http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2005/06/10/427696.aspx> galore in Wintel world.

*** Why You Should Shop Oinline
Heng-Cheong Leong

Because, well, it's just safer <http://simpleus.blogspot.com/2005/06/why-is-it-better-idea-to-shop-online.html>.

*** Bong... Ding Ding Ding Ding
Heng-Cheong Leong

>From Jim Heid comes to brand new Intel-based Macintosh startup chime <http://www.macilife.com/2005/06/exclusive-new-startup-chime-for.html>.

*** For The Love Of Research
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/11853303.htm>
Therese Poletti, San Jose Mercury News

Ex-SRI computer scientist tells story of low-profile institute.

*** HP Technology Lets Future Chips Live With Mistakes
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/06/09/HNhpfuturechips_1.html>
Tom Krazit, IDG News Service

New technique uses coding theory to ensure microprocessor circuits are reliably manufactured in high volumes.

*** The Scramble To Protect Information
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/09/business/09data.html?ex=1275969600&en=ff546503cdeb7d3a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Tom Zeller Jr., New York Times

The problem of data security goes well beyond couriers and data tapes. And improving things takes time and money.

*** High Fidelity
<http://www.villagevoice.com/music/0524,essay,64876,22.html>
Brandon Stosuy, Village Voice

>From A to B and back again: this is your correspondent, running out of mix tapes.

*** How To Make A Book
<http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,6000,1503261,00.html>
Oliver Burkeman, The Guardian

This is the story of one of those September books, a 135-page comic novella entitled The Pirates! In An Adventure With Scientists, published by orion, priced &pound;7.99, ISBN number 0297848852, which Gideon Defoe worte, according to the jacket blurb, "to impress a girl."

*** Johor Wants Approval for 'Crooked Bridge'
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050610_321772.html>
New Straits Times

"We cannot wait forever for Singapore to join hands to build a straight bridge."

*** CPF Minimum Sum To Go Up From July 1
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/55305.asp>
Today

[Opinion]

*** Visit To The Housing & Development Board
<http://www.unchost.org/ssip/2005/archives/visit-to-the-housing-development-board/>
Joey Horne, Singapore Summer Immersion Program '05 Weblog

It was typical Singaporean propaganda from the get-go.

*** Find Better Way To Invalidate Lost ICs
<http://www.asia1.com.sg/st/st_20050610_321798.html>
Vivienne Fong Funn, Straits Times

[Entertainment]

*** Betting Junkies, This Is Your Lucky Day
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/55312.asp>
Cubby leong, Today

Singapore Pools is launching iBet, a new game that will create more winners because it is now cheaper to bet on all the permutations of a number.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]