[MyAppleMenu] Jul 30, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 30 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Apple's Halo Stays On Despite Switch To Intel
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1841817,00.asp>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

Industry watchers don't see the company suffering from its decision to change, as iPod brings more of the masses to the Mac.

*** Apple Offers More Refurbs, Special MS Office Deal
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/07/29/special.ms.office.deal/>
MacNN

*** Judge Halts Cobb Laptop Computer Plan
<http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/0705/30laptop.html>
Kristina Torres, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Superior Court Judge S. Lark Ingram ordered an immediate halt to a groundbreaking laptop computer program Friday because school leaders did not tell Cobb County voters what they wanted to do with a voter-approved special sales tax.

*** CodeWarrior To Cease Development On OS X
<http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=11402>
Eugenia Loli-Queru, OSNews.com

Metrowerks announced at AdHoc that the forthcoming release of CodeWarrior 10 will be the last for OS X.

*** Naomie Kremer: Paint Moves
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/kremer/>
Barbara Gibson, Apple

"I'm interested in what digital media can do within its own possibilities. I've never wanted to try to do a painting on the computer, but I had ideas that could not be expressed in paint."

*** Fatty Koo: The Tale Of A Dream-Come-True
<http://www.apple.com/pro/music/fattykoo/>
David Levy, Apple

"When it's just me and my PowerBook and the artists in their living room, all that distraction is eliminated. And we can really work together, be loose and in the moment."

*** HP To Stop Selling iPods
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/07/29/hpipod/index.php>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

HP will stop selling its branded Apple iPods in September. HP will continue to install iTunes on its PCs and laptops, however.

*** BadApple Takes A New Bite At iTunes
<http://news.com.com/2061-10799_3-5810665.html?part=rss&tag=5810665&subj=news>
John Borland, CNET News.com

BadApple is back with features that allow iTunes to sync playlists and music collections to MP3 players other than the iPod.

*** Gap Confirms Free iTunes Promo
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12210>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Griffin Annnounces iFM For iPod
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/07/29/ifm/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Playlist

The device adds FM radio tuning to your Apple iPod, remote control and the ability to record audio -- FM radio signals and voice recording.

[Opinion]

*** Attribution Where Attribution Is Due
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/29/technology/poguesposts/29POGUES-POSTS.html?ex=1280289600&en=ffa24c7886ef8aac&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
David Pogue, New York Times

That does it. From now on, every column I write is going to include a bibliography and footnotes.

*** Making Space For Storage
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/07/photostorage/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Jackie Dove, Macworld

*** Apple Isn't Long Tail Friendly To Podcasters
<http://www.micropersuasion.com/2005/07/apple_isnt_long.html>
Micro Persuation

*** This iPod Takes The...
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/29/this-ipod-takes-the/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

You know what? ll I want now is one of these.

*** So Long, hPod
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/07/byehpod/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

It was fun while it lasted, but I fear it was never destined to last.

*** Old Mac, New Mac: Getting Wired For Music
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7454>
David Battino, O'Reilly Network

*** Done With Dashboard: Back To Konfabulator
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/07/29/done-with-dashboard-back-to-konfabulator/>
C.K. Sample, III, Unofficial Apple Weblog

I think I figured out where Apple really went wrong with widgets: Dashboard.

[Sidetrack]

*** And Now, A Recap Of Murphy's Law
Heng-Cheong Leong

Or a Roger Weeks <http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7462> special edition: If you're leaving town, all the possible bad things that can happen to your [network | servers | personal computers | other geek devices], will happen in the [days | minutes | hours | seconds] before you leavve.

*** Blackberry In Tow, This Guy's Always Ready To Scroll
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/30/AR2005073000181.html?nav=rss_technology>
Ellen McCarthy, Washington Post

*** Whistleblower Faces FBI Probe
<http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,68356,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Kim Zetter, Wired News

The FBI is investigating a computer security researcher for criminal conduct after he revealed that critical routers supporting the internet and many networks have a serious software flaw that could allow someone to crash or take control of them.

*** Senator Threatens Crackdown On File-Sharing Industry
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072901794.html?nav=rss_technology>
Jonathan Krim, Washington Post

The head of the Senate Commerce Committee warned online file-sharing companies this week that if they do not crack down on piracy and pornography available via their networks, Congress will force them to act.

*** Talk Is Cheap, But Not that Cheap
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/30/technology/30instincts.html?ex=1280376000&en=2cab11c6f1018e92&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
M.P. Dunleavey, New York Times

*** Google Tries To Patent Web Syndication Ads
<http://news.com.com/Google+tries+to+patent+Web+syndication+ads/2100-1024_3-5810885.html?part=rss&tag=5810885&subj=news>
Alorie Gilbert, CNET News.com

Google is claiming that it has invented a unique way to distribute online advertising via syndicated news feeds -- and it wants a patent for the technology.

*** Use Of A Mysterious Cookie Irks Some Internet Users
<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/0,,SB112248279507797567-UgCRBcSJhSZRiUI50YLUeSiF6_g_20060729,00.html?mod=rss_free>
David Kesmodel, Wall Street Journal

*** Turned Off By PC-Turnoff Week
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/rss/12252971.htm?source=rss&channel=siliconvalley_rss>
Mike Langberg, San Jose Mercury News

PC-Turnoff Week, which begins Monday with the goal of persuading parents to drag their children off the computer for seven days, is the wrong answer to a serious problem.

[World]

*** You Can't Fight Terrorism With Racism
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/29/AR2005072901626.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns>
Colbert I. King, Washington Post

[Tech & Science]

*** Planet Or Not, Pluto Now Has Far-Out Rival
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/30/science/30planet.html?hp&ex=1122782400&en=74416832c26ff174&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
Kenneth Chang and Dennis Overbye, New York Times

Add a tenth planet to the solar system -- or possibly subtract one.

[Life]

*** Some Ask If The Disney Magic Is Slipping
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/31/travel/31disney.html?ex=1280462400&en=6af55d9e59e8cf6a&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Charles Passy, New York Times

"What kind of Mickey Mouse operation is this?"

*** In China, A Musical Star is Waiting To Be Born
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/30/international/asia/30dai.html>
Jim Yardley, New York Times

Dai Yichen's dream is to one day perform on a Chinese equivalent of Broadway, though one does not yet exist.

[EOF]

*** Museum Offers Free Entry To Visitors Who Undress
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/news/story/0,11711,1539139,00.html>
Associated Press

Vienna's prestigious Leopold Museum is usually a pretty buttoned-up place, but yesterday some of the nudes in its marble galleries were for real.

*** LTA Points Finger At 6 Officers In Shake-Up
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/64250.asp>
Today

After a six-week internal inquiry, the Land transport Authority (LTA) has identified six of its officers for counselling, warning, downgrading and dismissal. This includes the four LTA staff earlier singled out in a report by the Nicoll Highway Committee of Inquiry.

*** Singapore May Hold Early Election This Year -- Paper
<http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050730/3/3tv3n.html>
Reuters

Singapore may hold parliamentary elections later this year, the city-state's pro-government Straits Times said on Saturday.

*** NKF Reviewing Operating Costs, Will Pass Savings To Patients: Interim CEO
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/160534/1/.html>
Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

[Opinion]

*** Let's Reach Out And Shut Them Up
<http://quake9.com/life/?p=123>
Life3

After the video, you might know what H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E truly means.