[MyAppleMenu] Jan 23, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jan 23 13:15:01 EST 2005

[Top Stories]

*** iPod Shuffle, Mac Mini Draw Crowds At Apple Stores
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/22/shufflemini/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Jim Darlymple and Mathew Honan, MacCentral

The word of the day at Apple retail outlets in California was "Shuffle."

[News]

*** For Apple Faithful, More Hope Than Help
<http://www.nypost.com/business/39051.htm>
Steven L. Kent, New York Post

The recent success of Apple's iPod has Macintosh fans salivating over a brighter future. But analysts doubt that the pouplar music player -- and Apple's new $500 Mac mini -- can really cause mass conversions.

*** Birth Of An Industry: iPod Loading
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/jobs/23IPOD.html?ex=1264136400&en=5a09f6a87d799307&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Jennifer 8. Lee, New York Times

The rising popularity of Apple's sleek iPod has created a new niche service: the professional iPod loader.

*** Mac Mini Makes Its Retail Debut
<http://news.com.com/Mac+Mini+makes+its+retail+debut/2100-1041_3-5546353.html?tag=nefd.top>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Plenty of Mac Minis on hand at San Francisco Apple store, but dozens hoping to buy an iPod Shuffle go home empty handed.

[Opinion]

*** Does Your iPod Play Favorites?
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6854309/site/newsweek/>
Steven Levy, Newsweek

My first iPod seemed to have a fondness for Steely Dan, while other artists were sent into exile.

*** PC To Mac... And Back
<http://www.theolympian.com/home/news/20050122/living/73512.shtml>
Steven L. Kent, The Olympian

Unless Longhorn, the upcoming iteration of Windows, is both more stable and more virus-protected than Windows XP, Macintosh computers will continue to have the better operating system.

*** My Mac Mini And Me
<http://news.com.com/My+Mac+Mini+and+me/2010-1041_3-5546581.html?part=rss&tag=5546581&subj=news.1041.20>
Jeff Pelline, CNET News.com

The lesson from Apple should be taken seriously. Steve Jobs is a college dropout, not an MBA. But (unlike many MBAs) Steve is smart enough to know that if you build good products and market them, people will come -- they'll even line up in front of your store on weekends.

*** Open The 'Pod Bay Doors, Steve
<http://garage.docsearls.com/node/view/529>
Doc Searls, IT Garage

This is about a marketplace that needs to be free.

[Review]

*** Tips For Installing iPhoto 5
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/6283>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

Back up your existing iPhoto Libraries on to an external hard drive before you launch iPhoto 5.

*** A Surprising New Mini-Player In The Music Game
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28202-2005Jan22.html?nav=rss_technology>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

What I can't quite figure out is which iPod is best. I suppose Apple would prefer we collected them all.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: New iPods and iPods Mini
Heng-Cheong Leong

According to Apple's favorite rumormonger <http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0501briefly2.html>, the next iPod mini may have a 5GB disk, or it may have a 8GB or 10 GB disks. One's never too sure. Meanwhile, the next (regular) iPod will be silver in color, rather than white, probably to give it that oh-so-premium look that can commands a higher price.

[Wintel]

*** Microsofft Struggles To Sell Self As Growth Stock
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1753653,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Reed Stevenson, Reuters

After transforming itself into a blue-chip stock with predictable dividends, Microsoft faces its toughest sales pitch ever -- convincing investors it's still a growth stock.

*** Bush Didn't Invent The Internet, But Is He Good For Tech?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/business/yourmoney/23techno.html?ex=1264136400&en=b445ab6bc5290faf&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
James Fallows, New York Times

The Bush administration could end up being known for some technology advances that occured on its watch.

[World]

*** Dream On America
<http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6857387/site/newsweek/>
Andrew Moravcsik, Newsweek

The U.S. Model: For years, much of the world did aspire to the American way of life. But today countries are finding more appealing systems in their own backyards.

[Life]

*** Sex Ed At Harvard
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/opinion/23murray.html?ex=1264222800&en=760d3e0a1a944d83&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Charles Murray, New York Times

In the study of gender, large and growing bodies of good science are helping us understand the sources of human abilities and limitations. It is time to accept their existence, their seriousness and their legitimacy.

*** See No Bias
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27067-2005Jan21.html>
Shankar Vedantam, Washington Post

Many Americans believe they are not prejudiced. Now a new test provides powerful evidence that a majority of us really are. Assuming we accept the results, what can we do about it?

*** The Making Of A Molester
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/magazine/23PEDO.html?oref=login>
Daniel Bergner, New York Times

What allowed Roy to go from being a seemingly normal man to a man who could solicit sex from a 12-year-old? His past? His relationshiop to the truth? Or the ways in which the Web blurs the line between fantasy and the all too real?

*** Mixed Views On Reserving Some Jobs For Older Workers
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/128667/1/.html>
Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

*** Shopping, Anyone? Off The Beaten Orchard Track
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailfeatures.asp?fileid=20050123.I02&irec=4>
Susanna Tjokro, Jakarta Post

*** HK May Lose Container Port Crown
<http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-01/23/content_411434.htm>
China Daily

Hong Kong is set to lose its title as world's busiest container port to Singapore this year and Shanghai and Shenzhen ports are steadily catching up, analysts said on Friday.

*** Speak Up On Issues With Singapore, Johoreans Urged
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/1/23/nation/9974771&sec=nation>
The Star

The people of Johor can submit their views on bilateral issues with Singapore because they are directly affected by the decisions made, Umno deputy president Datuk Seri najib Tun Razak said.

*** Singaporeans Asks NMP Eunice Olsen What Is More Important: Singing Or Swearing-In?
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,297171,00.html?>
Sarah Ng, Straits Times

Netizens critical but many interviewed sympathise.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Needs More Liberty Bell
<http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2005/01/needs_more_libe.html>
A Whole Lotta Nothing

Freedom versus liberty according to Bush, as captured by The Daily Show.
<http://junk.haughey.com/libertybell.mp3>