[MyAppleMenu] Jan 15, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jan 15 13:15:00 EST 2005

[Top Stories]

*** We're In The Era Of Jobs II
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/freeheadlines/LAC/20050115/RCOVER15/business/ROB>
David Akin, Globe And Mail

Apple already rivals Dell in manufacturing efficiency, and is poised to beat it on profit margins, earnings and revenue growth. On new product innovation, analysts say, Apple is unrivalled.

[Announcement]

*** The Natives Are Restless
Heng-Cheong Leong

MyAppleMenu Shuffle <http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>, a new podcast from me, is up and running. Please e-mail me <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com> should you encounter any problems. Life is random.

[News]

*** The Desk Set
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/expodesks/index.php>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

Here are some eye-catching desks I spotted at Expo that you will be able to get your hands on -- once they start shipping, that is.

*** The Macworld Unknown Best Of Show
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6234>
Alan Graham, O'Reilly Network

There are a number of products on the show floor that might interest you, but don't necessarily get picked up by the mainstream press. Here's my list of the 5 best Mac/non-Mac items of Macworld 2005.

*** Monster Fueled By Caffeine
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66276,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Delicious Monster is the Mac software company behind the hit Delicious Library, a program for cataloging collections of books, movies and games. The software is elling like hot cakes and has garnered rave reviews and awards, yet the company's headquarters is a Seattle coffee house.

*** New Apps At Macworld Lure Print Professionals
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1751697,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

Though this year's Macworld Expo here had a definite focus on consumer hardware, many third-party developers used the occasion to show off applications designed for print professionals on the Mac OS X platform.

*** How Big Will The Mini Be?
<http://news.com.com/How+big+will+the+Mini+be/2100-1047_3-5535728.html>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

Windows developer Alex Gorbatchev just bought his first Mac.

*** Little iPod Looms Large In American Culture
<http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bal-op.ipod14jan14,1,5097072.story?coll=bal-oped-headlines>
Dan Buccino, Baltimore Sun

The iPod is the perfection of mass customization. Everybody gets the same thing yet everybody thinks his or hers is hipper than anyone else's.

*** iPod Extravaganza, Part II: Macworld Expo
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2005/01/expoipodroundup/index.php>
Dan Frakes, Playlist

*** Little Things Are Big At Macworld SF 05
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/14/macworld.html>
Daniel H. Steinberg, O'Reilly Network

While Windows users struggle with viruses and pop-up ads, Macintosh users don't feel their machine is in the way of what they want to do.

*** Analyst: iPod Reaching iconic Status
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/01/14/analyst/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0105>
Jim Darlymple, MacCentral

"[Apple] just have incredible brand momentum at this point."

[Opinion]

*** Macworld Expo And Web Standards: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
<http://www.backupbrain.com/2005_01_09_archive.html#a004360>
Dori Smith, Backup Brain

Apple's newly-annouunced Pages application looks like a wonderful little lightweight page layout program... and a terrible disaster as a HTML editor.

*** Less Is More
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gillmor/index.php?p=34>
Steve Gillmor, ZDNet

*** Thinking About The Mac Mini / The Mac Sweet Spot
<http://farm.tucows.com/blog/_archives/2005/1/14/241520.html>
Joey deVilla, The Farm

*** The Joy Of Travel In The Digital Age
<http://www.mcelhearn.com/article.php?story=2005011415545034>
Rob Griffiths, Kirkville

Travelling has become a much more complex endeavor than it used to be.

*** Like Podcasts? Pass On The iPod Shuffle
<http://blog.holtz.com/index.php/weblog/like_podcasts_pass_on_the_ipod_shuffle/>
Shel Holtz, A Shel Of My Former Self

Podcasting is gaining steam and will go mainstream this year. Somebody will be well-served to offer a device that accommodates them.

*** Podcasters: Curb Your Whining About The Shuffle And Taking A Podcast-Centric View Of The World
<http://homepage.mac.com/lesposen/blogwavestudio/index.html>
Les Posen, CyberPsych Blog

This is an iPod with training wheels, so young folk in particularly can learn to use iTunes and the iTunes Music Store.

*** Whither iFlicks? Or Should I Say, "iFlix?"
<http://www.fluidimagination.com/2005/01/whither_iflicks.html>
Fluid Imagination

The notice above is similar to one that appeared for an application named "SoundJam MP" a few years ago.

[Review]

*** Apple Mac OS X Tiger: A First Look
<http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,39184115,00.htm>
Daniel Drew Turner, ZDNet UK

Due in mid-2005, Apple's new Mac OS X 10.4 promises more than 200 features.

[Sidetrack]

*** Mini And Cube: Happy Together
Heng-Cheong Leong

Madsenblog.tk <http://android8.users.whitehat.dk/wordpress/index.php?p=301>: Hmmm... looks like there's room for about 4 Mac Mini's in the cabinet from a Cube.

*** Rumor Today: Apple G5 Notebooks Coming In Second Quarter 2005?
Heng-Cheong Leong

Ars Technica <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050114-4524.html>: According to Taiwan-based DigiTimes, Apple will start receiving shipments of G5-based notebooks in the second quarter of this year.

*** Rumor Today: HP Halts Orders For Apple's iPod Music Players
Heng-Cheong Leong

HP and Apple is in dispute, according to AppleInsider <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=840>, over the lack of price protection offered by Apple.

[Wintel]

*** Does Microsoft Find Excuse For Their Security Woes In Mythology?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6221>
Uche Ogbuji, O'Reilly Network

If mythology helps to fuel Microsoft's lagging response, I hope I can do what I can to help debunk the sily myths.

*** Microsoft: No Flaw In Media Player
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+No+flaw+in+Media+Player/2100-1002_3-5536831.html?part=rss&tag=5536831&subj=news.1002.20>
Dan Ilett and John Borland, CNET News.com

A set of video files available on peer-to-peer networks is piggybacking on Microsoft's antipiracy tools to trick viewers into downloading adware and spyware, security experts have warned.

*** To Protect And Intrude
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10788-2005Jan14.html?nav=rss_technology>
Ariana Eunjung Cha, Washington Post

GPS proliferates as costs fall; privacy strained.

*** Modernizing Product Development
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/14/03OPreality_1.html>
Ephraim Schwartz, InfoWorld

It's time for a new approach to product lifecycle management, and the ball is in IT's court.

*** Outsourcing To Oklahmoa?
<http://news.com.com/Outsourcing+to+Oklahoma/2100-1022_3-5536917.html>
Ed Frauenheim, CNET News.com

In another example of U.S. tech companies seeking to offer low-cost alternatives to offshoring, systems integrator Ciber has opened a facility in Oklahoma City.

*** Tech Mags Return, But Can They Survive?
<http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/10646059.htm>
Matt Marshall, San Jose Mercury News

Pitched at top execs, many are also linked to online versions.

[World]

*** Dead Movement Walking?
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/01/14/death_of_environmentalism/index_np.html>
Katharine Mieszkowski, Salon

Roiled by harsh internal criticism and confronting four more years of Bush, environmentalists face a dark night of the soul.

[Tech & Science]

*** Tsunami Moves North Pole, Shortens Daytime
<http://news.com.com/Tsunami+moves+North+Pole%2C+shortens+daytime/2100-1008_3-5536983.html?part=rss&tag=5536983&subj=news.1008.20>
Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

Daytime is now 2.68 microseconds shorter because of last month's tsunami.

[Life]

*** Samurai Of Cuisine, On A New Battlefield
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/14/arts/television/14chef.html?ex=1263445200&en=3b6e1548fb344fd0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
William Grimes, New York Times

With "Iron Chef America," the Food Network's challenge is to translate the cult success of the original show without losing its campy, samurai ethos.

*** Call Me Madame Maestro
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/14/arts/music/14cond.html?ex=1263445200&en=0cdf154fe070fdb7&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Blair Tindall, New York Times

These artists represent a new wave of female conductors in their late 20's through early 40's.

*** Supreme Court, City Hall Buildings To Be Turned Into Art Gallery
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/127524/1/.html>
Julia Ng, Channel NewsAsia

*** Dunking Death Soldiers Get Jail
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,295646,00.html?>
Selina Lum, Straits Times

[Opinion]

*** SMRT Staff Do Attend To Verbal Feedback
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/forum/story/0,5562,295681,00.html?>
Dawn Low, SMRT, Straits Times

However, for feedback where immediate action cannot be taken and an investigation is required, passengers are encouraged to fill up the feedback form with their particulars so that a reply can be addressed to them subsequently.

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Introduction]

*** Life Is Random. Welcome To My Podcast
Heng-Cheong Leong

"Time to mix things up."

Here at MyAppleMenu, we don't bring you a regular podcast -- we have to turn the "bug" into a "feature." So, introducing, my podcast -- MyAppleMenu Shuffle. Where you will have no idea what's coming up next.

Remember, if you enjoyed the tunes, following the links to buy the album. Buy! Buy! Buy!

Now, enjoy the random.

[Tunes]

*** The Natives Are Restless
<http://www.comfortstand.com/catalog/001/>