[MyAppleMenu] Jan 10, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jan 10 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Midget iPod, Budget iMac? The Guessing Game Is On
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/01/10/BUG94AML011.DTL&type=business>
Matthew Yi, San Franciso Chronicle

At Macworld, Apple must sketch out shape of things to come.

*** Apple Suit Raises Suspicions
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,66213,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Leander Kahney, Wired News

Apple's lawsuit against ThinkSecret is a strategic but risky move designed to focus press attention on this week's Macworld, marketing experts say. But the move -- carefully timed before the show -- could backfire if the Mac community judges Apple acted too harshly.

*** Jobs' Keynote Webcast To Be Delayed 9 Hours
<http://www.macminute.com/2005/01/10/keynote-delay/>
MacMinute

Apple has announced that Steve jobs' Keynote address at Macworld Expo in San Francisco tomorrow will not be webcast until a full nine hours later -- "approximately" 6.00 p.m. PT.

*** Apple VARs Won't Picket Macworld
<http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNCID=36&CIaNID=17505>
Dan Neel, itnews.com.au

A group of US retailers said they will not picket as expected at this week's 2005 Macworld Conference and Expo in San Francisco, despite their two-year-old lawsuit against Apple for allegedly withholding reseller stock.

*** Observers Wonder If Apple Plans Low-Cost Macintosh
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/technology/10newcon.html?ex=1263013200&en=668a832f5147e0a3&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
John Markoff, New York Times

In what has become a tradition for Mr Jobs, speculation has heightened expectations far beyond what surrounds any other technology industry executive.

*** CES = iAS?
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/01/cesias/index.php>
Dan Frakes, Playlist

iPod accessories abound at CES.

*** Photos Of The Motorola iPhone Surface
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000963026479/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Please don't sue me.

*** New Wireless Gear From Griffin
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000207026691/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The AirClick Remote will use RF technology to allow you to control your iPod from 60 feet away. AirClick USB dongle will allow you to control tasks on y our Mac remotely.

*** Interview With Brent Simmons Of Ranchero Software
<http://www.shapeofdays.com/2005/01/interview_with_.html>
Shape Of Days

*** Apple Shares Rise More Than 7 Pct Before Macworld
<http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh01946_2005-01-07_21-28-36_n0729532_newsml>
Retuers

Shares of Apple rose more than 7 percent on Friday after an analyst raised his earnings estimates for the company before its annual trade show next week when new product announcements could send the stock still higher.

*** For Jobs, The View Is Mac-nificent
<http://www.sacbee.com/content/business/story/11984635p-12859819c.html>
Clint Swett, Sacramento Bee

The iPod leads the way for Apple as its CEO enjoys spotlight in S.F.

*** Apple's Soundtrack No Longer Available For Purchase
<http://www.macnn.com/news/27538>
MacNN

[Opinion]

*** iPod Fascism
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2005/01/09.html#a805>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

It is flawed in a way that says to the user, "You are not in control here" -- a message that directly contradicts the fundamental promise of personal digital technology.

*** Microsoft's Consumer Electronics Endgame
<http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008231.html>
Russell Beattie

It doesn't matter that Microsoft doesn't lead in music downloads right now... What's important is that Microsoft owns the alternative to Apple and is already branching out to areas like movies and home-recorded content.

*** The Webcast That Never Was
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000160026595/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

It's not that the webcast was cancelled; it's that the webcast was never planned.

*** The Value Of Podcasting
<http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3014>
Brent Simmons, Inessential.com

The value of podcasting is that people enjoy it. They like the spoken sound of words.

*** Try As I Might, I Can't Wreck A Mac
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/07/02OPcurve_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/07/02OPcurve_1.html>
Tom Yager, InfoWorld

I'm determined to push the envelope in my Mac lab, but everything withstands nicely.

*** An Open Letter To Steve Jobs (Or, Shutting Down Our Apple Blog)
<http://calacanis.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000407026641/>
Jason Calacanis

We need each other Steve, and you tryig to bully us is just unfair and, frankly, pretty ungrateful.

[Review]

*** Build An eDoc Reader For Your iPod, Part 3
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/07/ipod_reader.html>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

*** Elgato's EyeTV 500: HDTV The Mac Way
<http://www.eff.org/broadcastflag/eyetv500.php>
Fred von Lohmann, EFF

It appears that no other option is as easy to set up and use as teh EyeTV 500. And for Mac owners, it's the only game in town.

[Sidetrack]

*** You, Communists, You
Heng-Cheong Leong

Dave Winer <http://archive.scripting.com/2005/01/09#When:7:22:29PM>: [Bill Gates wanted] to show the music industry that he would happily sell out his users for a chance to take the market from Apple.

*** Harsh, Bitter, Evil Things
Heng-Cheong Leong

Switching to the PC <http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2005/01/a_mactopc_switc.html>: I think it builds character to have to reboot your computer, everyday. Sometimes twice a day.

:-)

*** The Internet's Future? It Depends On Whom You Ask
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/technology/10pew.html?ex=1263013200&en=d13f8301e489ba28&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Tom Zeller Jr., New York Times

*** A Heyday For Open Source?
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/07/02OPconnection_1.html>
Chad Dickerson, InfoWorld

This may be the year when enterprise apps go fully mainstream, even if small fees are attached.

*** Web Photos Capture Tsunami's Impact
<http://news.com.com/Web+photos+capture+tsunamis+impact/2100-1025_3-5517007.html?part=rss&tag=5517007&subj=news.1025.20>
Jonathan Skillings, CNET News.com

Last month's devastating tsunami in the Indian Ocean dramatically highlighted the powerful combination of digital photography and the Web.

*** Portable Media Gadgets Get Moving
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4155209.stm>
Jo Twist, BBC News

Pocket-sized devices that let people carry around video and images are set to have a big year in 2005, according to industry experts.

[World]

*** Where Was God?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/10/opinion/10safire.html?ex=1263099600&en=13b207280fa1c892&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
William Safire, New York Times

Turn to the Book of Job in the Hebrew Bible.

*** Manufaketure
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/magazine/09COUNTERFEIT.html?ex=1263013200&en=bf98a59049eb3db8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Ted C. Fishman, New York Times

Counterfeiting and pirating (that is, making knockoffs of what developed nations have created) are at the heart of the Chinese economic boom. As unethical or illegal as it might be, the Chinese government is not about to stop it.

[Tech & Science]

*** Life, Reinvented
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.01/mit.html>
Oliver Morton, Wired

A group of MIT engineers wanted to model the biological world. But, damn, some of nature's designs were complicated! So they started rebuilding from the ground up -- and gave birth to synthetic biology.

[Life]

*** Why Is Everyone Going To Bhutan?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/travel/09bhutan.html?ex=1263013200&en=33194766ef1c89f8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Jane Margolies, New York Times

This peaceful nation half the size of Indiana is emerging as a big draw, attracting those in search of a spiritual journey, a hiking adventure -- or just a chance to experience a place before the rest of the world gets there.

*** Toxic Breast Milk?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/magazine/09TOXIC.html?ex=1263013200&en=960a55f6789ffcf8&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Florence Williams, New York Times

When we nurse our babies, we feed them not only the fats, sugars and proteins that fire their immune systems, metabolisms and cerebral synapses. We also feed them, albeit in minuscule amounts, paint thinners, dry-cleaning fluids, wood preservatives, toilet deodorizers, cosmetic additives, gasoline byproducts, rocket fuel, termite poisons, fungicides and flame retardants.

[Top Stories]

*** Singapore Mourns
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,294783,00.html?>
Laurel Teo, Straits Times

7,300 people gather in simple but sombre memorial service to mourn tsunami victims.

[News]

*** Neighbourhood Shops Still Feel The Gloom
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/32501.asp>
Ansley Ng, Today

Retail numbers may have gone up, but business is going to big malls, say some.

[Opinion]

*** No Payoff From Five-Day Week
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/32514.asp>
Lim Boon Hee, Today

THose in charge are doing what they were told not to -- packing the work from five-and-a-half days into five.

*** SMRT, Verbal Feedback Can Save Time And Effort
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/forum/story/0,5562,294865,00.html?>
Philip Ang Keng Hong, Straits Times

Why can't the SMRT accept verbal feedback?