[MyAppleMenu] Jan 5, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jan 5 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** iPod, Tech Gifts Giving You Fits? You're Not Alone
<http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050105/BUSINESS05/501050301/1029/BUSINESS>
Erin Crawford, Des Monies Register

"A lot of people want to have (an iPod), need to have it, but don't read the fine print on it."

*** Microsoft And Apple Maintain Strong Ties
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10529&Page=1&pagePos=4>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

Microsoft has moved to stress its good relationship with Apple in a damage-control move driven by rumours that the Cupertino-based company may release an office productivity suite of its own, dubbed iWork.

*** Hitachi's Big Plans For iPod Mini Drives
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=10524&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Martyn Williams, Macworld UK

Hitachi is planning to at least double the capacity of its 1-inch Microdrive hard-disk drive within the year.

*** How iPod Spawned Lucrative Spinoff Industry
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20050105/RIPOD05/TPBusiness/International>
Simon Avery, Globe And Mail

*** Satellite Radio Recording To iPod
<http://ployer.com/archives/2005/01/satellite_radio.php>
Ployer

*** iFlicks = iTunes For Video
<http://apple.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000640026018/>
Barb Dybwad, Unofficial Apple Weblog

Helixent Technologies has released iFlicks, an application that is to video what iTunes is to audio.

*** Apple Rumors Fly As Macworld Nears
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1748159,00.asp>
Daniel Drew Turner, eWeek

The run-up to this year's San Francisco show was a quiet one for the Mac-centric rumor Web sites -- until last week.

*** The Insanely Great Story Of How The Mac Was Made -- An Interview With Andy Hertzfeld
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/04/hertzfeld.html>
Derrick Story, O'Reilly Network

Right away I knew Andy was my Apple historian of choice, at least for this slice of technology history. Now thanks to the release of his book, I have an excuse to correspond with him directly and ask him some of the questions I've had about the phenomenon we call the personal computing revolution.

[Opinion]

*** Glancing Back At Apple In '04, Looking Ahead To '05
<http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,98698,00.html?source=x10>
Yuval Kossovsky, Computerworld

I think the most important enterprise product from Apple for 2005 will be that Xsan system.

[Review]

*** Skype On Mac OS X: A Hands-On Approach, Part 2
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/01/04/skype.html>
Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network

In today's conclusion, the author talks more about configuration and hands-on use.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft Nixes Windows XP For Itanium
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/01/04/HNmicrosoftnixesxpitanium_1.html>
Joris Evers, IDG News Service

Micreosoft has pulled the plug on a version of Windows XP for Intel's Itanium 2 processor. The move marks the end for Itanium 2 in Windows-based workstations and comes after major hardware vendors abandoned the 64-bit chip for use in workstations.

*** Internet Plays A Wider But Limited Role In Disaster
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/04/technology/04cnd-internet.html?ex=1262581200&en=b82da5adb64997b5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Scott Shane and Nicholas Confessore, New York Times

The Internet has also become the main conduit of private donations for what is shaping up to be the biggest international relief effort in decades.

[Linux]

*** Asian Linux Distro Is Ahead Of Schedule
<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39183084,00.htm>
Ingrid Marson, ZDNet UK

A standard Asian Linux distribution being developed by an alliance of Chinese, Japanese and Korean software vendors is now due for release in July.

[Tech & Science]

*** God (Or Not), Physics And, Of Course, Love: Scientists Take A Leap
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/04/science/04edgehed.html?ex=1262667600&en=a7e99d84f5ef485f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
New York Times

"What do you believe is true even though you cannot prove it?" This was the question posed to scientists, futurists and other creative thinkers by Joh Brockman, a literary agent and publisher of Edge, a Web site devoted to science.

[Life]

*** A Chef's Loss Is His Gain
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A46704-2005Jan4.html>
Judith Weinraub, Washington Post

Weighing in past 350, Jeff Tunks knew something had to change. More than two years later and 100 pounds lighter, he has.

*** Artisanal, Creamy... Tofu?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/05/dining/05TOFU.html>
Julia Moskin, New York Times

New York's new and ambitious Asian restaurants have begun to foster the art of tofu appreciation, and more places are now serving fresh or even house-made tofu, delicacies that are soft, creamy and light.

*** Why Gift Cards Are Evil
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2111769/fr/rss/>
Daniel Gross, Slate

They're the best insult money can buy.