[MyAppleMenu] Feb 20, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 20 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Society Is Dead, We Have Retreated Into The iWorld
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-1491500,00.html>
Andrew Sullivan, The Times

What was once an occasional musical diversion became a compulsive obsession. Now I have my iTunes in my iMac for my iPod in my iWorld. It's Narcissus heaven: we've finally put the "i" into Me.

[Review]

*** Shuffle Keeps It Simple, And That's The Point
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2002184649_ptmacc19.html>
Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times

The iPod shuffle values ease of use and elegant design over the electronics industry's relentless drive to add features.

*** iPhoto 5: Sweeping Update Improves Photo Management, Slide Shows, And Book Publishing
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/reviews/iphoto5review/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0205>
Jim Heid, Macworld

iPhoto 5 brings welcome improvements in almost every area.

*** GarageBand 2: Fantastic Upgrade Makes Creative Program Even More Musical
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/02/reviews/garageband2/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0205>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

Although a very few rough edges remain, musicians of all skill levels will find GarageBand 2 worth the price of admission.

*** Hard News
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37138-2005Feb19.html>
Frank Ahrens, Washington Post

the venerable newspaper is in trouble. Under sustained assault from cable television, the Internet, all-news radio and lifestyles so cram-packed they leave little time for the daily paper, the industry is struggling to remake itself.

*** As I.T. Goes, So Goes Forrester?
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/business/yourmoney/20sund.html?ex=1266555600&en=30f69f29631ee1f5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
Laura Rich, New York Times

George F. Colony, chief executive of Forrester Research, discussed trends in technology and his ho-hum attitude toward Google.

[Tech & Science]

*** Unintelligent Design
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/magazine/20WWLN.html?>
Jim Holt, New York Times

Of course, proponents of intelligent design are careful not to use the G-word, because, as they claim, theirs is not a religiously based theory. So biology students can be forgiven for wondering whether the mysterious designer they're told about might not be the biblical God after all, but rather some very advanced yet mischievous or blundering intelligence -- extraterrestrial scientists, say. The important thing, as the Pennsylvania school administrator reminded them, is "to keep an open mind."

[Life]

*** Disney's Next Hero: A Lion King Of Kings
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/movies/20kehr.html?ex=1266642000&en=74e3cc2d3a749c45&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
David Kehr, New York Times

The pros at Disney are wrestling with a special challenge: how to sell a screen hero who was conceived as a forthright symbol of Jesus Christ, a redeemer who is tortured and killed in place of a young human sinner and who returns in a glorious resurrection that transforms the snowy landscape of Narnia into a verdant paradise.

*** Uncaptive Minds
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/20/magazine/20PRISON.html>
Ian Buruma, New York Times

What teaching a college-level class at a maximum-security correctional facility did for the inmates -- and for me.

*** The Heat Goes On
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,301715,00.html?>
Sharlene Tan, Straits Times

The brief showers over the past few days might have brought welcome relief to hot and bothered Singaporeans, but the weatherman says it was just a blip in an otherwise dry outlook.