[MyAppleMenu] Feb 8, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Feb 8 13:15:00 EST 2005

*** Laptops Connect Pupils
<http://www.nydailynews.com/boroughs/story/278410p-238530c.html>
New York Daily News

Students at an elementary school on the Long Island City waterfront are learning not just with books, but with iBooks.

*** Doctors Turn To iPods And Open Source To Cut Costs
<http://hardware.silicon.com/storage/0,39024649,39127655,00.htm>
Jo Best, Silicon.com

Apple is doctors' orders for storage.

*** Apple Posts Pepsi iTunes Ads
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/02/07/itunes/index.php?lsrc=mcrss-0205>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** Napster's Bad Math
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/02/napstersuperbowl/index.php>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Napster's math still doesn't add up. Then again, who said cats could do math?

[Sidetrack]

*** Don't Get Me Wrong...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Just a note: if your article has the phrase, "Dont get me wrong...", it is highly unlikely that I will ink to your article.

Why? Because this phrase is usually a codeword for "here comes some handwaving."

*** Cheap To Purchase, Fast To Assemble
Heng-Cheong Leong

Just don't expect this 4-Gigabyte RAID storage device <http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=623251>, created using 4 iPod shuffles, to perform well.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft To Release More Source Code?
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+release+more+source+code/2100-7344_3-5566298.html?part=rss&tag=5566298&subj=news.7344.20>
Martin LaMonica, CNET News.com

Microsoft is considering the release of source code for Windows Forms, a popular tool used to build Windows programs.

[Top Stories]

*** Using Net To Reach Developing Countries
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3673-2005Feb6.html?nav=rss_technology>
Yuki Noguchi, Washington Post

David Kovach and Nersi Zand are in a business that sometimes takes them where other telecommunications companies don't want to go.

[News]

*** It's Official: Ask Jeeves Buys Bloglines
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/6439>
Marc Hedlund, O'Reilly Network

*** As Piracy Battle Nears Supreme Court, The Messages Grow Manic
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/technology/07sharing.html?oref=login&oref=login>
Tom Zeller Jr., New York Times

*** Hold The Phone, VOIP Isn't Safe
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,66512,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Elizabeth Biddlecombe, Wired News

In recognition of the fact that new technologies are just as valuable to wrongdoers as to those in the right, a new industry group has formed to look at the security threats inherent in voice over internet protocol.

*** Digital Guru Floats Sub-$100 PC
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4243733.stm>
Julian Siddle, BBC News

Nicholas Negroponte said one laptop per child could be "very important to the development of not just that child but now the whole family, village and neighbourhood."

[World]

*** Freedom's Not Just Another Word
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/opinion/07fischer.html?ex=1265518800&en=af21343a168031c5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt>
David Hackett Fischer, New York Times

We English-speakers are possibly unique in having both "liberty" and "freedom" in our ordinary speech. The two words have blurred together in modern usage, but the old tension between them persists like a coiled spring in our culture.

*** Stories From The Inside
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/07/opinion/7herbert.html?ex=1265518800&en=b200f2023c572c59&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland>
Bob Herbert, New York Times

The Bush administration has turned Guantanamo into a place that is devoid of due process and the rule of law. It's a place where human beings can be imprisoned for life without being charged or tied, without ever seeing a lawyer, and without having their cases reviewed by a court. Congress and the courts should be uprooting this evil practice, but freedom and justice in the United States are on a post-9/11 downhill slide.

[Tech & Science]

*** The Power of Make-Believe
<http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1025173,00.html>
Sora Song, Time

Parents may worry about a child's imaginary friends, but a nwe study finds much to love about them.

[Life]

*** How Bill Gates Cured My PMS
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/02/07/pms/index_np.html?x>
L. J. Williamson, Salon

My Irrational Bitch side was wreaking havoc with my life -- until I told my computer to remind me that it was that time of month.

*** Your Table Is Ready
<http://www.newyorker.com/shouts/content/?050214sh_shouts>
John Kenney, New Yorker

I had been trying to get a reservation at Masa since 1987, seventeen years before it opened, as I knew that one of the prerequisites of dining there was a knowledge of the future.

[Expressions]

*** Up North
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?050214fi_fiction>
Charles D'Ambrosio, New Yorker

*** Minister Seeks To Right Singapore-Aussie Air Links Imbalance
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/topstories/story/0,5562,299953,00.html?>
Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong: I want to make it clear that the playing field has always been very much tilted against SIA and in favour of Qantas."

*** Budget Terminal: Modest Savings For Airlines
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,299935,00.html?>
Karamjit Kaur, Straits Times

MyAppleMenu Shuffle
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Doctor And The DJ
<http://www.herspaceholiday.com/>
Her Space Holiday, Home Is Where You Hang Yourself
<http://herspaceholiday.wichita-recordings.com/herspaceholiday/sounds/Doctor_And_The_DJ.mp3>

*** The Ringing In My Ears
<http://www.herspaceholiday.com/main.html>
Her Space Holiday, Manic Expressive