[MyAppleMenu] Feb 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 6 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Teachers Start To Get Laptops
<http://www.mlive.com/news/aanews/index.ssf?/base/news-11/110768824119420.xml>
Dave Gershman, Ann Arbor News

The district hopes to integrate the Apple iBook G4 laptops seamlessly into the classrooms.

[Opinion]

*** Who Is Responsible
<http://blogs.msdn.com/rick_schaut/archive/2005/02/05/367898.aspx>
Rick Schaut, Buggin' My Life Away

That kind of stuff tends to make your day.

[Review]

*** Pages First Impressions
<http://blog.x180.net/2005/01/pages_first_imp.html>
James Duncan Davidson, x180

It certainly doesn't compete with Word head on and feature by feature, but that's a good thing.

*** Quark Vs. InDesign
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/2005/02/04/quark_vs_indesign.php>
Sandy McMurray, Corante

Quark 4 may be terrible and out of date, but the alternatives to Quark 4 are worse. Neither QuarkXPress 6 nor its main competitor InDesign has become the OS X standard for professional publishing.

*** The Apple Mac Mini
<http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/story.jsp?story=608102>
Stephen Pritchard, The Independent

The appeal of the Mini lies in Apple's design and engineering know-how as well as its software.

[Sidetrack]

*** Rumor Today: Ask Jeeves Buys Bloglines
Heng-Cheong Leong

Mary Hodder <http://napsterization.org/stories/archives/000397.html>: Ask Jeeves is integrating Bloglines into their search system.

Bloglines is my primary RSS reader, so I hope nothing evil comes out from this deal. :-)

Good luck to all invovled.

*** Laptops Ease Pain For Seriously Ill Kids
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-me-computers6feb06,1,5069460.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Fred Alvarez, Los Angeles Times

*** Big Computer Storage Gets Smaller
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/click_online/4235725.stm>
Chris Long, BBC News

>From the world's first ever five-megabyte hard drive, to one which can store 400 gigabytes on 3.5 inches, computer storage has come a long way since the 1950s.

*** Crying And Digging
<http://www.latimes.com/features/printedition/magazine/la-tm-altdeath06feb06,1,1477791.story?coll=la-headlines-magazine&ctrack=3&cset=true>
Nancy Rommelmann, Los Angeles Times

For centuries in America, we tended to our dead. This changed, incrementally, during the Civil War, when others were paid to undertake the job of transporting the bodies of soldiers killed far from home; this is when formaldehyde as an embalming agent was first used. But it was only 100 years ago that we began routinely to hand over our dead to the undertakers. Soon the gravely ill as well were deemed too taxing, and moved to hospitals to die. Within decades, what had for millennia been familial responsibilities were appropriated by professionals.

*** Textbook Message
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/magazine/06WWLN.html?oref=login>
Ann Hulbert, New York Times

With a sendup of social-studies textbooks that is not merely for students, Stewart and the "Daily Show" satirists have a lesson for champions of "civic renewal": thanks to all the partisan pugilism, kids are being served sanitized pablum in school -- and that's hardly a recipe for energizing our citizenry.

*** Singapore Could Call Qantas Its Own
<http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Singapore-could-call-Qantas-its-own/2005/02/05/1107476857359.html?oneclick=true>
Phillip Hudson, Sun-Herald

The move to allow Singapore Airlines to carry passengers on Qantas's highly profitable route to the US would signal a dramatic shift in Australia's aviation market and could lead to a price war between airlines.

*** Magazine Store Slug-Out At Holland V
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,299645,00.html?>
Sharlene Tan, Straits Times

MRT building work forces stall to move to smaller space, giving rival the edge.

*** Feedback To Government: Don't Be An Answering Machine
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,299649,00.html?>
Sarah Ng, Straits Times

Giving the government feedback is just like talking to an answering machine: You don't always get a call back, so you don't know if your message got across, say some young Singaporeans.

*** Traffic Lane Closed As Foam Spurts Up From Circle Line Dig
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/news/story/0,5562,299646,00.html?>
Straits Times

One lane at the junction of Serangoon Ave 2 and Ave 3 was temporarily closed to traffic yesterday when a 20-cm high swell spouting white foam appeared int he middle of the road.

[Opinion]

*** Has He Burnt His Bridges?
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/Columns/20050205174107/Article/indexb_html>
Ravi Nambiar, New Straits Times

Shahrir was entitled to his personal views on this thorny issue of cross strait bilateral relations. But the trouble was that a day earlier, on Jan 22, he had tried to sell the same idea and it was vehemently shot down by Umno Johor.