[MyAppleMenu] Dec 25, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 25 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** iPod Battery Suit Appeal Dismissed
<http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2005/12/24/2204>
Ars Technica

[Opinion]

*** Cursing, And Lighting Candles
<http://www.radioopensource.org/cursing-and-lighting-candles/>
Christopher Lydon, Open Source

Never was a humble footnote happier than I am to be attached to the record of a cultural revolution -- and in my case, to the "word of the year," which turns out to be: podcast.

[Review]

*** Portable Video, Just Not Always Convenient
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/23/AR2005122302058.html>
Daniel Greenberg, Washington Post

Why is it that importing video to portable devices is not nearly as easy and effortless as putting music or video games on them?

*** How Technology Is Aiding Medicine
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4555314.stm>
Jane Dreaper, BBC News

Computers and mobiles phones are playing an increasingly valuable role in helping doctors and patients monitor conditions such as diabetes on a daily basis.

*** Wish List: No More Books!
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/25/books/review/25queenan.html>
Joe Queenan, New York Times

Cavalierly foisting unsolicited reading material upon book lovers is like buying underwear for people you hardly know.

*** Calendar Of Dreams
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/20/AR2005122001095.html>
Washington Post

A week is too short, a season too varied. But a month, roughly spanning the progress of he moon from null to full, turns out to match perfectly the human need to divide time into psychic units.

[Ramblings]

*** Welcome, Where We Nooch You A Little
Heng-Cheong Leong

You'd think that if a restaurant promises that "No Service Charge" on its menu, you will not find <http://www.flickr.com/photos/pricklyechidna/76876329/> a Service Charge entry on your bill?

[News]

*** NKF Issue Raising Questions On Long-Standing Policies
<http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2005/12/25/focus/12952050&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The straightforward, no holds-barred revelation of the report had regained some of the government's standing with the public. It required political courage. It could have been released after the polls.