[MyAppleMenu] Dec 14, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Dec 14 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Bringing Prime Time To Video iPod
<http://news.com.com/Bringing+prime+time+to+video+iPod/2100-1026_3-5994073.html?part=rss&tag=5994073&subj=news>
Ina Fried, CNET News.com

In stepped little Proxure, with its $30 MyTV ToGo utility. It takes shows recorded by Microsoft's Windows Media Center software on a PC, converts them and transfers them into a special playlist on the iPod.

*** Apple Dips On Analyst Downgrade
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13364>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Advertisers Tune In New Video Platforms
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1901511,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
Matt Hines, eWeek

When Apple unveiled its video download partnership with broadcaster ABC, media advertisers began scrambling for answers about how to shape their marketing strategies to address new distribution models.

*** Apple Still In A 'Long Term Uptrend'
<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/apple_still_in_a_long_term_uptrend/>
Dennis Sellers, Macsimum

*** iPod Rivals Behind In User Interface And Cool Factor
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/12/13/apple-ipod-entertainment-1213markets02.html>
Maya Roney, Forbes

*** The Origin Of An Icon
<http://joongangdaily.joins.com/200512/13/200512132206402539900090809081.html>
Yi Jung-jae, JoongAng Daily

*** Apple's Success A Lesson In Branding - Forrester
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13351>
Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

[Sidetrack]

*** Singapore Government Bans iPod In Gyms
Heng-Cheong Leong

Apparently, Singapore Sports Council bans MP3 players in gyms, as reported by Caprice Ng <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,358664,00.html?>.

"When probed for further explanation on the safety hazards posed when tuning in to my MP3 player, the employee replied that: I might have my arm or neck entangled in the earphone cord; and I might not be able to react in a fire as my hearing would be impaired."

I guess they don't allow people with poor hearing in gyms too, eh?

*** Roll Your Own Google
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,69817,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
Jeff MacIntyre, Wired News

In a move with potentially far-reaching implications for the search market, Alexa Internet is opening up its huge web crawler to any programmer who wants paid access to its rich trove of internet data.

*** Java? It's So Nineties
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2005/tc20051213_042973.htm>
Steve Hamm, BusinessWeek

Sun's groundbreaking programming language vaulted to popularity with web developers. But now it's losing ground to a raft of upstarts.

[Expressions]

*** Sirens Of Small-Town Finance
<http://www.3ammagazine.com/fiction/2005/aug/sirens_of_small_town_finance.shtml>
Damon Fournier, 3AM

*** Quick, Slow, Slow
<http://www.2river.org/2RView/9_4/poems/evans01.html>
Anna Evans, The 2River View

*** Draft Of A Letter
<http://www.slate.com/id/2120091/>
James Longenbach, Slate

[Ramblings]

*** Singapore Government Bans iPod In Gyms
Heng-Cheong Leong

Apparently, Singapore Sports Council bans MP3 players in gyms, as reported by Caprice Ng <http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,5562,358664,00.html?>.

"When probed for further explanation on the safety hazards posed when tuning in to my MP3 player, the employee replied that: I might have my arm or neck entangled in the earphone cord; and I might not be able to react in a fire as my hearing would be impaired."

I guess they don't allow people with poor hearing in gyms too, eh?

*** What Is "Global"
Heng-Cheong Leong

Yong Teck Meng <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/90041.asp>: The word "global" in Mr Chong's article should be replaced with the word "western", for he assumes that being global means being westernised... More than a quarter of all human lives in China and India, and Asians far outnumber Europeans and Americans cmbined. True globalisation, therefore, naturally takes into account the value systems of these masses of people, and is not merely a reflection of the prevailing, "chic" western sentiment.

In my opinion, this writer couldn't be more wrong. Globalisation doesn't mean adopt a particular set of values, whether "western" or "Asian" or what-have-you. Globalisation means the ability to accept and embrace values that are different from one own's.

[News]

*** Noise Over Hostel Fee Hike
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/90058.asp>
Loh Chee Kong, Today