[MyAppleMenu] Dec 6, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 6 13:15:01 EST 2005

*** Apple Adds NBC, SciFi, USA To iTMS
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/06/apple-adds-nbc-scifi-abc-usa-to-itms/>
David Chartier, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** Lack Of iPod Supply Could Pressure Street Estimates
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/economy/2005/12/05/apple-ipod-sales-1205markets05.html>
Maya Roney, Forbes

Piper Jaffray research analyst Gene Munster maintained an "outperform" rating and $79 price target on Apple after follow-up checks on iPod inventory showed third-party retailers struggling to replenish supply.

*** Glaser Turns Wrath On Apple, Jobs
<http://news.com.com/Glaser+turns+wrath+on+Apple%2C+Jobs/2100-1027_3-5983354.html?part=rss&tag=5983354&subj=news>
Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

RealNetworks chief exctive Rob Glaser, at the Digital Living Conference,said that Jobs & Co.'s refusal to make the iPod compatible with music services other than Apple's iTunes was "pig-headedness." Glaser also said that Apple's unwillingness to cooperate with other online music vendors promotes piracy of copyrighted materials and will eventually draw the wrath of consumers.

*** Hidden Features In Sony DRM Uses Open Source Code To Add Apple DRM
<http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=940>
J. Alex Halderman, Freedom To Tinker

XCP utilizes the DRMS code not to remove Apple DRM but to add it.

*** Adobe And Macromedia Are One
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=13288>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

Adobe has announced the completion of its acquisition of Macromedia.

*** Creativity Sparks Prosperity
<http://www.apple.com/business/profiles/jacksonryan/>
David Levy, Apple

"Once we started using Apple systems, our business boomed. We became an all-Mac shop. Don't ask me the chicken-or-egg question. It was a symbiotic relationship."

[Opinion]

*** The Right Price For Digital Music
<http://www.slate.com/id/2131573/>
Adam L. Penenberg, Slate

What we need is a system that will continue to pack the corporate coffers yet be fair to music lovers. The solution: a real-time commodities market that combines aspects of Apple's iTunes, Nasdaq, the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Priceline, and eBay.

*** Apple Rumors And Realities
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=479&part=rss&tag=feed&subj=zdblog>
Paul Murphy, ZDNet

Quite a number of pundits have gone out and predicted the appearance of Intel based Powerbooks from Apple this Januar -- but it isn't going to happen.

[Review]

*** Aperture 1.0
<http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture.ars/1>
Dave Girard, Ars Technica

It saddens me to say that Aperture's innovations are only skin deep. If it could deliver on the promise of being both fast and produce flawless results, it would be the dream package.

*** Musical Gifts
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/12/musicalgifts/index.php?lsrc=editorsblog>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

[Sidetrack]

*** Place Of Birth
Heng-Cheong Leong

We all  knw that, as declared by Apple, your Mac and iPod are designed in Cupertino, California. But, do you know what your Mac and iPod is made <http://www.uneasysilence.com/archive/2005/12/4730/>?

*** Google: Ten Golden Rules
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10296177/site/newsweek/>
Eric Schmidt and Hal Varian, Newsweek

Getting the most out of knowledge workers will be the key to business success for the next quarter century. Here's how we do it at google.

*** Ads In Games Found Effective
<http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-gameads5dec05,1,1140614.story?coll=la-headlines-technology>
Associated Press

*** Germans Told To Cheer Up. 'Why Should We?' Some Say.
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/06/international/europe/06germany.html>
Richad Bernstein, New York Times

A broad campaign is Germany is trying to cheer up the presumably gloomy population, nudging Germans toward an unaccustomed optimism.

*** The Stay-At-Home Mystique
<http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2005/12/06/total_180/index_np.html>
Rebecca Traister, Salon

A new magazine, Total 180, is targeted at moms who have "opted out." But its papers are full of despairing screams, no sex, and women who are "let out" weekly by husbands.

*** Japan's Kamikaze Pilots And Contemporary Suicide Bombers: War And Terror
<http://www.japanfocus.org/article.asp?id=458>
Yuki Tanaka, Japan Focus

Ritualized violence and brutality as exemplified by suicide attack may constitute the most negative manifestations of a human being's desire to let one's own people live by sacrificing one's own life. However, war and violent conflict inevitably brutalize not only suicide attackers, but all human beings.

*** Why You Need Me
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/04/AR2005120401160.html>
William Raspberry, Washington Post

Some of us still need columnists.

[Expressions]

*** La Conchita
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/articles/051212fi_fiction>
T. Coraghessan Boyle, New Yorker

*** Singapore Unlikely To Get Air Deal
<http://afr.com/articles/2005/12/06/1133829583870.html>
AAP

Coalition backbenchers have expressed strong support for Qantas as cabinet prepares to decide whether to allow Singapore Airlines to compete on the lucrative trans-Pacific route.

*** Singapore Accused Of Maid Neglect
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4502046.stm>
BBC News

Women migrants in Singapore work in conditions that amount to forced labor due to a lack of legal protection, US-based rights campaigners say. Human Rights Watch says domestic workers suffer sexual and physical abuse and overwork, and are frequently denied food, pay and social contact.

*** US Route On Radar For SingAir
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17477395%255E31037,00.html>
AAP

*** 'No' To More KL-Singapore Flights
<http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/20051206095832/Article/indexb_html>
Ravi Nambiar, New Straits Times

Malaysia will not allow Kuala Lumpur-Singapore shuttle flights ahead of the Asean "open skies" policy which will come into effect in 2008.

*** Punggol 21's Not Quite Come Of Age
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/88542.asp>
Christie Loh, Today

Watersport centers, seafood villages, Safra clubs and libraries were the selling points of the Punggol 21 plan, spelt out just months before the 1997 General Election -- none of which have materialized so far.

[Opinion]

*** A Perfect Country But Without A Soul
<http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/44135>
KTemoc, Malaysiakini

*** It's The One Senence You Can't Retract
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/88535.asp>
Charles Tan, Today

The death sentence is an irreverisible punishment.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]