[MyAppleMenu] Aug 25, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 25 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Thief Brings Apple Retailer's Stolen iPod Into Store
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=12441&Page=1&pagePos=1>
Karen Haslam, Macworld UK

One iPod thief has been caught red handed, and red faced, by staff at Apple retailer KRCS.

*** Gizmo Project Hits 1.0
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/24/gizmo-project-hits-1-0/>
Scott McNulty, Unofficial Apple Weblog

If I had to name my favorite VoIP client I would have to give the nod to Project Gizmo.

*** Cobb County School Superintendent Resigns
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/24/redden/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

Cobb County's "Power to Learn" initiative once promised to be the largest "one-to-one" iBook initiative ever.

*** Apple China Shuffles Management Amid Slow iPod Sales
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/rsstory/45690.html>
MacNewsWorld

According to reports in Chinese media outlets, besides the iPod, sales of other Apple products have also gone from bad to worse in China, even though the company has set up many exclusive stores in major cities such as Beijing, Shanghai, and Guangzhou.

*** Apple Job Listings Provide Product Hints
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1245>
AppleInsider

*** Apple EOL'ing The Wired Mouse
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000629.html>
DrunkenBlog

*** 18th Annual reader Satisfaction Survey: Desktops & Notebooks
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1851295,00.asp>
PC Magazine

Onc eagain, Apple achieves scores that are far and away the highest for all vendors in our survey, earning Readers' Choices in both desktops and notebooks.

[Opinion]

*** Virtual Folders And Other Confusion
<http://www.corante.com/apple/archives/2005/08/24/virtual_folders_and_other_confusion.php>
Sandy McMurray, Corante

The Virtual Folders [in Windows Vista] feature could easily cause people to accidentally erase or overlook important files. And the Smart Folders feature in Mac OS X is only slightly less confusing and just as dangeorous.

*** A First Pass At Podcasting Guidelines
<http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=87746>
Steffen Fiaervik, E-Media Tidbits

*** Apple Is On The Hunt For A New Handwriting Recognition Engineer; Tablet Mac In The Works?
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000757055799/>
Peter Rojas, Engadget

*** Google's Windows-Only World
<http://blogs.salon.com/0000014/2005/08/24.html#a905>
Scott Rosenberg, Salon

If the Googleplexniks are serious about the phrase "the world's information," they need to look beyond the realm of Windows. The world doesn't stop where the 'Start" menu ends.

[Review]

*** With A Speaker Kit, MyPod Can Be Louder Than YourPod
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/25/technology/circuits/25speaker.html>
John Biggs, New York Times

*** Tagging Your Mail With MailTags
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7653?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

You can really turn Mail into a clever email management machine, incorporating some of the sorting and management tools that have until now only been seen in big-name apps like Microsoft Entourage.

[Sidetrack]

*** Ten Years Ago...
Heng-Cheong Leong

C:\ONGRTLNS.W95 <http://fsinfo.cs.uni-sb.de/~abe/pictures/windoof/whymac.png>

*** Things Aren't Going Too Well In The Leong's Household
Heng-Cheong Leong

Some (rare) updates on my personal life...

My left ear got infected, and am now having to put medicine into my ear and take regular antibiotics pills. Oh, and the ear doctor said that my ear canal is smaller than norm.

My wife had a stomach infection, and vomitted all over our bedroom the other midnight. She is now recovering, So far today, she's fine.

And my daughter has a persisting cough.

Health -- you'll really only appreciate good health during the lack of one.

*** Why Rent Music? Just Subscribe...
Heng-Cheong Leong

... to The Shuffle <http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/> podcast here at MyAppleMenu.com. Fresh tunes (and other random stuff) in your iPod almost every day. :-)

*** Rumor Today: We May Finally Have An iTunes Phone
Heng-Cheong Leong

Sept 7 is the latest date, as rumormongered <http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1246> by AppleInsider.

Will Sept 8 bring us another round of articles saying, "Or maybe not"?

*** iTunes Takes Potter Podcasts Off-Air
Heng-Cheong Leong

As reported by The Leaky Cauldron <http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/MTarchives/007486.php>, Apple has remoted MuggleCast and PotterCast from the podcast directory.

[Wintel]

*** Windows 95 Turns 10
<http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-5842721.html?part=rss&tag=5842721&subj=news>
Mike Ricciuti, CNET News.com

It may be hard to imagine now, but people waited in line -- for hours -- to plunk down $90 for a copy of Windows 95 back on Aug 24, 1995.

*** Google IM (Almost) Gets The Message, Users Say
<http://news.com.com/Google+IM+almost+gets+the+message%2C+users+say/2100-1032_3-5842511.html?part=rss&tag=5842511&subj=news>
Anne Broache, CNET News.com

*** Here's The Dish On Fast-Food Secrets
<http://www.calendarlive.com/dining/cl-wk-drive25aug25,0,7603108.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels>
Dog Davis, Los Angeles Times

>From knowing how to buy a tax-free latte to ordering your burger like a pro, there are some things a consumer simply must know.

*** Why This Band Plays On
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/opinion/24gilmore.html?ex=1282536000&en=3b0b8883d9614e9e&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Mikal Gilmore, New York Times

The Beatles demonstrated that musical and social change could emanate from the shared spirit of the same body politic.

*** Bob Costas Says No To Hour On Aruba
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/24/arts/television/24cost.html?ex=1282536000&en=5e8a43e0510b54af&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Bill Carter, New York Times

Mr Costas' decision has drawn further attention to the Holloway case.

[EOF]

*** Rename Your Town, Get Free Satellite TV
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/24/AR2005082400131.html?nav=rss_technology>
Sandy Shore, Associated Press

The nation's No. 2 satellite television provider wants to dish out free service any town willing to rename itself "Dish."

[Ramblings]

*** Never Heard Of The Internet, Is It?
Heng-Cheong Leong

This guy <http://www.wral.com/apstrangenews/4891409/detail.html> was arrested coming into Singapore with, allegedly, "two video CDs and two DVDs [suspected to be uncensored and obscene] lodged between his buttocks."

Apparently, this guy do not know how to download from the internet.

[News]

*** MOH To Investigate Discrimination Against HIV Patients At Workplace
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/164914/1/.html>
Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

*** Singapore School Receives Top Marks As A 'Mini-UN'
<http://english.eastday.com/eastday/englishedition/features/userobject1ai1379334.html>
Yang Di, Shanghai Daily News

Shanghai Singapore International School represents some of the dynamic globalization developments in the city and it has played a vital role in meeting the academic needs of the expatriate community over the past nine years.

*** Singapore's Temasek Seeks Guarantees From Bank Of China For Investment -- Report
<http://www.forbes.com/finance/feeds/afx/2005/08/24/afx2191273.html>
AFX

Temasek Holdings is seeking to buy up to 10 percent of the Bank of China for about three billion USD, but is demanding guarantees against a sudden deterioration in the state lender's finanaces, the Financial Times reported.

[Opinion]

*** All Singaporeans Who Own MP3 Players And iPods Are Criminals
<http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2005/08/all_singaporean.html>
mr brown

So technically, does that mean a policeman can pull you off the streets when they see you listening to your iPod, and arrest you for breaking the Singapore copyright law?

*** Thank Kew For The Video Clip And Understanding Us
<http://atypicalsingaporean.blogspot.com/2005/08/thank-kew-for-video-clip-and.html>
Atypical Singaporean

Let's get this out of the way. It is the job of PM Lee and any leader of a country to "know what is happening in the people's lives." I think that's the very bare minimum.

*** Do You Want Ice?
<http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2005/yax-474.htm>
Yawningbread.org

*** Burger King & Mary's Little Lamb
<http://www.elearningpost.com/archives/007215.asp>
elearningpost

Here I am, enjoying an early lunch, trying out a succulent lamb burger, and this ad sitting on my tray reminds me of Mary's Little Lamb! How sadistic is this?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]

*** Tie A Yellow Ribbon 'Round My Oldsmobile
<http://www.capsteps.com/>
Capitol Steps
<http://www.capsteps.com/sounds/oldsmobile.mp3>