[MyAppleMenu] Aug 10, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 10 13:15:00 EDT 2005

[Top Stories]

*** Musicians Work To Join iTunes In Japan
<http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?Feed=AP&Date=20050810&ID=5017068>
Associated Press

Japanese musicians under contract with Sony and other labels that haven't joined Apple's iTunes Music Store are starting to defy their recording companies and trying to get their music on the popular download service launched last week in Japan.

[News]

*** Can Apple Make The Switch?
<http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.08/start.html?pg=12>
Lucas Graves, Wired

No one's ever been able to cross platforms in emulation without crippling performance. We asked Transitive's CEO Bob Wiederhold why he thinks Rosetta is different.

*** Microsoft, Apple 'Spar Over iPod Patent'
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/10/microsoft_apple_patent/>
Andrew Orlowski, The Register

*** Copy-Protected CDs Causing Mac Users Much Grief
<http://www.macnn.com/articles/05/08/09/copy.protected.cds/>
MacNN

*** Macromedia Drops FreeHand From Bundle
<http://news.com.com/Macromedia+drops+FreeHand+from+bundle/2100-1012_3-5824744.html?part=rss&tag=5824744&subj=news>
Brendon Chase, CNET News.com

FreeHand, Macromedia's popular illustration tool, has been omitted from the company's upcoming developer suite, dubbed Studio 8.

*** Apple Fails To Patent iPod Interface
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1226>
Kasper Jade and Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

A near three-year-long attempt by Apple to patent the menu-based software interface of its popular iPod digital music player has ultimately proved unsuccessful. Standing in Apple's way appears to be a piror filing by inventor John Platt.

*** World's Smallest Ice Cream Truck Includes Mac Mini
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/08/worlds-smallest-ice-cream-truck-includes-mac-mini/>
Dave Caolo, Unofficial Apple Weblog

The Mini Cooper, the iPod mini, and Mac mini have finally gotten together.

*** CNN Commits iChat AV Experiment
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=12301>
Macworld UK

CNN has begun an experiment that uses iChat AV to conduct face-to-face interviews.

*** Microsoft Messenger 5.0 For Mac Released
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/09/messenger/index.php>
Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

While this release does have some features for the consumer, this is really an enterprise-focused release.

[Opinion]

*** OSS Users Aren't Entitled
<http://matrixpointer.com/karl/2005/08/09/not-entitled/>
The Life And Times...

*** The AppleCare Blues
<http://mikethole.com/blog/?p=3>
Michael Thole

Every time I call AppleCare I end up fighting with their BS. It's a nightmare.

*** Living In Text Files
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/7567>
Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network

Could I organise all my work, all my personal stuff, all my writing, in one huge file?

*** iTunes Podcast Ranking System Easily Manipulated
<http://plastictrees.typepad.com/plastictreesnet_a_call_fo/2005/08/itunes_podcast_.html>
Plastictrees

[Review]

*** What Is NeoOffice/J (And Can It Replace MS Office)
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/08/09/neooffice.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550>
Matthew Russell, O'Reilly Network

*** Belkin Makes It Easy To Play Your iPod In Your Car
<http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=518959c2-c8f0-4389-b505-c28410f52543>
Murray Hill, Saskatoon StarPhoenix

*** Apple's 4-Button Mouse Is A Winner
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/3301532>
Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle

Spend a few hours with one and you'll never want to use an archaic single-button mouse again.

*** Change The Login Window Background In Mac OS X
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/08/09/change-the-login-window-background-in-mac-os-x/>
Laurie A. Duncan, Unofficial Apple Weblog

*** The Next Web Revolution
<http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/08/10/37signals/>
Farhad Manjoo, Salon

The web celebrates its 10th anniversary and it's still a pain to use. But thanks to creative small companies like Cicago's 37 Signals, the web is finally becoming as fun and flexible as your favorite software.

*** Failing Grade On E-Books
<http://news.com.com/2061-10787_3-5825988.html?part=rss&tag=5825988&subj=news>
Charles Cooper, CNET News.com

The publishers are repeating the same mistake committed by the film and music studios earlier this decade.

*** Thin Client: So Out, They're In?
<http://news.com.com/Thin+clients+So+out%2C+theyre+in/2008-1082_3-5825339.html?part=rss&tag=5825339&subj=news>
Michael kanellos, CNET News.com

Wyse's relatively new CEO, John Kish, believes that the thin era may be upon us.

*** One In Six Americans Visiting Blogs
<http://news.com.com/One+in+six+Americans+visiting+blogs/2100-1025_3-5825871.html?part=rss&tag=5825871&subj=news>
Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com

A ne wreport out by a leading internet research company has revealed that fully 30 percent of American internet users visited blogs during the first quarter of 2005.

*** The Netscape IPO, A Decade Later
<http://bayosphere.com/blog/dangillmor/080905/netscape>
Dan Gillmor, Bayosphere

*** Why Baghdad Must Make Do With Takeout
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/10/international/middleeast/10restaurant.html?>
Craig S. Smith, New York Times

Things were looking up for Chen Xianzhong, proprietor of Baghdad's first authentic Chinese restaurant in the new Iraq, until a suicide car bomber blew up outside the place less than two weeks ago.

[Expressions]

*** Looking Back
<http://www.sanfranciscoreader.com/poems/poems%20feb.html>
A.D. Winans, San Francisco Reader

[Ramblings]

*** Empty Malls -- Is That Possible?
Heng-Cheong Leong

We -- me and my family -- went for an early dinner over at Sembawang Shopping Center just as the parade telecast begins on television. And the mall has significant less people than your usual weekend holiday crowd.

In fact, we didn't even need to queue up when making payment at Giant supermarket.

Is the National Day Parade really such a draw that people really do stay home to watch TV? I thought these kinds of things only happens when Chow Yun Fat was on television back in the 1970s.

[News]

*** Singapore GDP Grows 18% In Second Quarter
<http://news.ft.com/cms/s/fbc73120-0956-11da-880b-00000e2511c8.html>
Reuters

Singapore's economy grew at an annualised, seasonally adjusted rate of 18.0 percent in the second quarter, its fastest pace since the third quarter of 2003, and above an advance government estimate of 12.3 percent, official data showed on Wednesday.

*** MPs Widen Their Net With SMS
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/65882.asp>
Lee U-Wen, Today

Some members of the People's Action Party are going high-tech to reach Singaporeans.

*** Padang Transformed For Singapore's 40th Birthday Celebrations
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/162341/1/.html>
Rita Zahara, Channel NewsAsia

*** PM Lee Emphasises Importance Of Electing The Right Person As President
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/162289/1/.html>
Derek Cher, Channel NewsAsia

"The best way to do that is to be completely open about your record, what you have done, where you have been, what your experiences are, how you've handled situations and therefore why you may be qualified, so people can make a judgement."

[Opinion]

*** NDP Bag Explorer
<http://jasperthedummy.blogspot.com/2005/08/ndp-bag-explorer.html>
Jasper Chen

You want to know what is inside this year's goodie bag, don't you?

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]