[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2005

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 2 13:15:00 EDT 2005

*** Apple's Not-So-Grand Entrance
<http://www.reed-electronics.com/eb-mag/article/CA630165?pubdate=8%2F1%2F2005>
Cameron Crotty, Electronic Business

Industry observers expect that Apple's move to a more widely used PC architecture will cause some shuffling among Taiwanese contract manufacturing firms, mostly because Apple will have more options available.

*** Apple Reseller Rides The iPod Wave
<http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3364323a28,00.html>
Bernard Hickey, New Zealand Stuff

Apple distributor Renaissance has more than doubled its profit and has predicted further growth as it rides the iPod boom.

*** Cobb School Board Pulls Plug On Laptops
<http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb/0805/02laptop.html>
Kristina Torres, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Cobb County school board members will no longer try to equip its students with laptop computers, agreeing in spirit with a Superior Court judge's order to immediately halt the groundbreaking program.

*** HP Likely To Stop Bundling iTunes By '06
<http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1214>
Kasper Jade and Prince McLean, AppleInsider

*** Apple Changes Podcast Rankings
<http://playlistmag.com/news/2005/08/01/podcastrank/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Matthew Honan, Playlist

Apple changed the way it lists its most popular podcasts int he iTunes Music Store over the weekend, using the term "Today's Top Podcasts" in place of "Top Podcasts." The move came shortly after Podcaster Adam Curry noted that the "Top Podcasts" list was time-based, rather than an aggregate figure.

[Opinion]

*** HP Minus iPod: Why It Makes Sense
<http://www.businessweek.com/the_thread/techbeat/archives/2005/08/financially_spe.html>
Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

The moral of the story: that HP once again has to come up with its own unique strategy, one that reflects and builds on HP's culture and capabilities.

*** A Convert With A Crush On His Mac
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/08/01/crush/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Douglas Schweitzer, Computerworld

This anniversay marks my second as a Mac convert. Over the past two years, my Mac has lived up to all its promises and has never ceased to delight me.

[Review]

*** Game Room: A Eulogy For The Tapwave Zodiac
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/gameroom/2005/08/zodiac/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Peter Cohen, Macworld

*** How To Multi-Import Audio Files
<http://playlistmag.com/features/2005/08/multiimport/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Playlist

*** Mac Loses Windows' Dates
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2005/08/windowdate/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

*** Control-Key-Free Contextual Menus
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2005/08/onefingersnap/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

One Finger Snap is especially useful for PowerBook and iBook users, since they can't replace their trackpad with a multi-button version, but it's even helpful for thos who've already purchased a two-button mouse for their Mac.

[Sidetrack]

*** Never Start By Blaming Others...
Heng-Cheong Leong

Out Of Cheese <http://outofcheese.org/archives/2005/08/01.html#001288>: If your application has performance problems in certain areas, chances are it isn't due to objc_msgSend.

*** Creative Admits They Lost
Heng-Cheong Leong

Stop making fun of Creative Technologies. They've lost the self-declared MP3 war, and they know it. So, Sim Wong Hoo, the CEO, is now diverting your attention <http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/08/01/BUGQADVKFF1.DTL&type=business>. No, he said. The bigger goal is something else altogether. Stop focusing on our little war with Apple, he pleaded. Look at the bigger picture -- the living room, he claimed.

On second thought, you can make fun of Creative, while people still  know who Creative is. :-)

*** One Login To Bind Them All
<http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,68329,00.html>
Mike Nowak, Wired News

GoingOn is just one part of a growing movement called "Identitiy 2.0" that is dedicated to challenging the way our identities are managed online.

*** Death Of The File System: It's About Time
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/desktops/story/0,10801,103518,00.html>
Geoff Barrall, Computerworld

[Tech & Science]

*** Your Body Is Younger Than You Think
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02cell.html?ex=1280635200&en=65bd5e6cef9fec79&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Nicholas Wade, New York Times

Whatever your age, your body is many years younger. In fact, even if you're middle aged, most of you may be just 10 years old or less.

*** Vindication For Ivory-Billed Woodpecker And Its Fans
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/science/02bird.html?hp&ex=1123041600&en=4ddf1b56da5e91cf&ei=5094&partner=homepage>
James Gorman and Andrew C. Revkin, New York Times

The phoenix had nothing on the ivory-billed woodpecker.

[Life]

*** Songs From The Black Chair
<http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0531,gonnerman,66405,6.html>
Jennifer Gonnerman, Village Voice

Ten years of listening to the city's most troubled men.

*** A Subway Bores Into The Ottoman And Byzantine Eras
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/international/europe/02istanbul.html>
Mark Landler, New York Times

"if we find some more important things down there, maybe they'll cancel the subway."

*** On The Set With Singapore's Not-So-Dangerous Bad Boy
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/movies/02tan.html?>
Alexandra A. Seno, New York Times

Sinking into a plush sofa of a luxury hotel suite now used as a movie production office, the young director Royston Tan contemplated his nickname in the industry. Ah yes, he hears it a lot, he said, his lips turning up to form a tentative and somewhat embarrassed smile. But, he insisted, "I'm reeeeeaaaaally pretty gentle, actually."

*** On The Set With Singapore's Not-So-Dangerous Bad Boy
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/02/movies/02tan.html?>
Alexandra A. Seno, New York Times

Sinking into a plush sofa of a luxury hotel suite now used as a movie production office, the young director Royston Tan contemplated his nickname in the industry. Ah yes, he hears it a lot, he said, his lips turning up to form a tentative and somewhat embarrassed smile. But, he insisted, "I'm reeeeeaaaaally pretty gentle, actually."

*** Women Sent To Work As Prostitutes In Singapore From Batam
<http://www.thejakartapost.com/detailnational.asp?fileid=20050802.D08&irec=7>
Fadli, Jakarta Post

The police busted the syndicate following a tip-off saying there were weekly shipments of women being sent to Singapore from the international ferry harbor of Sekupang, Batam.

*** Gay Australians Warned Against Flouting Singapore Laws
<http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=102849&n_date=20050802&cat=World>
IANS

Homosexual Australians travelling to Singapore were warned by the foreign ministry that they face jail for having gay sex in the island republic.

*** The Road-Price Of Forgetting
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/64505.asp>
Today

Evening electronic road-pricing was implemented along the Central Expressway yesterday and it was clear that some motorists had forgotten about it.

The Shuffle by MyAppleMenu
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/podcast/>
Life is random. More tunes, less talk.

[Tunes]