[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Sep 21 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, September 21, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** The Secret Behind The iPod's Scrollwheel
<http://www.mp3.com/story/feature_ipod_wheel.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, MP3.com
Ask any iPod user what they like the most about their device, and most will probably mention the scrollwheel. Here's the story behind the company that makes it (hint: it's not Apple).

[News]

*** Mac Games: (Not) Big In Japan
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,65027,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Nobuyuki Hayashi, Wired News
Mac gaming in Japan is in a slump: There are no Mac games. But a very unlikely savior has just stepped in to rescue gaming on the Mac: Microsoft.

*** Second San Francisco Apple Store Opening Saturday
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/20/sanfranapplestore/>
by MacMinute

*** Stuffit Deluxe 9.0 Boosts Speed, Adds Backup Options
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/20/stuffit9/>
by MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** Forgive Me While I Jump To A Quick Conclusion
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/5622>
by Giles Turnbull, O'Reilly Network
With the introduction of the iPod-like G5, the eMac is starting to look distinctly unlike an iPod. Might the secretive education configuration iMac be the eMac's replacement in coming months?

*** Forecast: Song Costs May Fall Like Rain
<http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/6037780/SITE/NEWSWEEK/>
by Steven Levy, Newsweek
Memo to music labels: lowering prices will get you more sales.

*** Elbow Room At Apple's Store
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=452316>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac
In the last couple of weeks, I visited the San Francisco store twice and both times it was heaving. Not just full -- nightclub full.

[Review]

*** Second-Generation Power Mac G5: Hot New CPU Pushes High End Higher
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/secondg5/index.php>
by Henry Norr, Macworld
The new model is finally here, and it delivers a substantial, if not earthshaking, speedup.

*** Flickr Photo Tool Has It All And More
<http://www.suntimes.com/output/worktech/cst-fin-andy21.html>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
Flickr contains far too many good ideas to properly tell you about them all.

*** Apple iMac G5
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1648806,00.asp>
by PC Magazine
With the iMac G5, Apple has given Mac fans yet another reason to stay in the fold. And its unparalleled execution should attract would-be Windows PC buyers, as well.

*** 9.0? What's Wrong With Still Another StuffIt Upgrade?
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/90_whats_wrong_with_still_another_stuffit_upgrade/>
by Bambi Hambi, Mac360
This one is completely rewritten? I think it's time to avoid the hat trick and sit on the sidelines for awhile.

*** NewsFire Simplifies Using RSS Feeds
<http://www.macsimumperspective.com/more.php?id=446_0_1_0_C>
by Daniel East, Macsimum
NewsFire is fast, it looks great and it is easy to use.

*** iPod Adds New Dimension To Existence
<http://www.dailyorange.com/news/2004/09/21/Pulp/Ipod-Adds.New.Dimension.To.Existence-725275.shtml>
by Dana Moran, Daily Orange
My life was instantly changed.

*** iPod Challengers: Sharp Or Flat?
<http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/9714819.htm>
by Julio Ojeda-Zapata, Pioneer Press
Get an iPod with iTunes, and be happy.

*** The iMac G5: A First Look At Apple's New All-In-One
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,96052,00.html>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld
The idea of packing a computer's hardware ito the area behind a flat-panel screen isn't new. But Apple's usual attention to detail in how that's done, and the resulting iMac hitting stores shelves now, shows that old ideas and designs can be made new again.

*** iPhoto Needs Econ's Portraits And Prints
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/review_iphoto_needs_econs_portraits_and_prints/>
by Alex Kayhill, Mac360

*** New iMac G5 Arrives; Slick And Sassy
<http://www.mac360.com/index.php/mac360/more/first_look_new_imac_g5_arrives_slick_and_sassy/>
by Jack D. Miller, Mac360
The 17" feels very compact; smaller than expected.

[Sidetrack]

*** Win An iPod
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/21/#20040921bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Gizmodo<http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/gizmodo-and-hp-ipod-trivia-contest-021599.php> is offering an iPod from HP, free. But you've got to answer a question or two.

*** Me Love iPod
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/21/#20040921bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Jillian Myers discover the hard way that it is not easy to remove HP iPod stickers<http://www.jillianmyers.com/archives/000279.html> from his iPod.

Based on the pictures, it seems he used the stickers on Apple's version of the iPod. I wonder if the HP's version is of any difference.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Surpassing Customers' Needs: When Technology Is Too Good
<http://www.smalltimes.com/document_display.cfm?section_id=29&document_id=8299>
by Jeff Karoub, Small Times

*** AOL Moves Beyond Passwords For Log-Ons
<http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040920/APF/409200975>
by Anick Jesdanun, Associated Press
Passwords alone won't be enough to get onto America Online under a new optional log-on service that makes AOL the first major U.S. online business to offer customers a second layer of security. Subscribers get a matchbook-size device displaying a six-digit code that changes every minute. The code is necessary to log on, so a scammer who guesses or steals a password cannot access the account without the device in hand.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Old Media And New Media
<http://www.reason.com/links/links091504.shtml>
by Jesse Walker, Reason
Like it or not, they're partners.

[Expressions]

*** Tosca With Man In Bedrock
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2106953/fr/rss/>
by Anne Winters, Slate

*** Hanwell In Hell
<http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/content/?040927fi_fiction>
by Zadie Smith, New Yorker
I am looking to enter into correspondence with anyone who remembers my father, Mr. -- Hanwell, who was living in the central Bristol area between 1970 and 1973. Any details at all will be gratefully received by daughter trying to piece together the jigsaw. Please write back to P.O. Box 187.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Ramblings]

*** Er... Okay, Whatever You Say
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/21/#20040921bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
On the recent merger between parts of SPH  and MediaCorp, why do I have this nagging feeling the reportings are bias?

Oooh... maybe because we can only get reportings by SPH and MediaCorp?

[News]

*** Focus Turns To A ComfortDelgro, SMRT Deal
<http://business-times.asia1.com.sg/sub/companies/story/0,4574,129496,00.html?>
by Ven Sreenivasan, Business Times
ComfortDelgro's stock rises on talk it may sell loss-making NEL.

*** Rivalry 'Won't Work For MRT'
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,273698,00.html?>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
The chairman of ComfortDelGro wants one operator for trains and another for buses because 'it's plain to see that competition for certain industries doesn't work in a small economy such as ours'.

[Technology]

*** IDA Stepping Up Efforts To Promote Broadband Use In Singapore
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/107781/1/.html>
by Derek Cher, Channel NewsAsia

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.