[MyAppleMenu] Sep 17, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 17 13:15:02 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Friday, September 17, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[News]

*** iMac G5 Gives Apple Strong Product Momentum
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/2004/09/17/0917automarketscan01.html>
by Forbes
The new iMac presents "another leg of strong product momentum and a boost to its underperforming consumer desktop product line."

*** Adobe Acrobat X 'By End Of Year'
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9669>
by Macworld UK
Adobe Systems says it is on track to ship a much-enhanced version of its Acrobat document management software by the end of the year.

*** Love Affair With Macs Unabated After 20 Years
<http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040915/NEWS/409150379/1036/BUSINESS>
by Bob Norberg, Press Democrat
"I have always been a Mac user. I was presented with Mac and PC at the same time and chose to be a Mac user. It is simpler, easier and more fun."

*** District 23 Buys Database System
<http://www.pioneerlocal.com/cgi-bin/ppo-story/localnews/current/mp/09-16-04-383549.html>
by Ed Piotrowski, Mount Prospect Times
"Power School was the most cost-effective for what we needed and it had a very friendly graphical user interface."

*** Apple Opens Third East Bay Retail Store
<http://sanfrancisco.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2004/09/13/daily39.html>
by San Francisco Business Times
The store is located on the lower level of Stoneridge. It will be the third East Bay location for Apple, which also operates stores in Emeryville and Walnut Creek.

*** Renaissance Says Apple Supplies Easing
<http://reseller.co.nz/news.nsf/0/CC256E690007D482CC256F1100769E45?OpenDocument>
by Darren Greenwood, New Zealand Reseller News
"Supplies are quickening up and we expect the shortage to ease significantly in the next few weeks."

*** Cover Comes Off G5 iMac
<http://reseller.co.nz/news.nsf/0/CC256E690007D482CC256F110076EADD?OpenDocument>
by Louis van Wyk, New Zealand Reseller News
A drooling audience of over 900 Macintosh devotees and probably a few new converts was last week treated to the first glimpse in New Zealand of Apple's new iMac G5.

*** Apple Shuts Down iTunes Plug-In
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/16/ipoddownload/>
by MacMinute
Following a request from Apple, a small Mac software developer has pulled iPodDownload, an iTunes plug-in that allows users to transfer songs from any iPod to their iTunes library.

*** Apple Patches iChat With Security Update
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/09/16/securityupdate/>
by MacMinute

[Opinion]

*** In Praise Of Minimal Design
<http://www.applematters.com/comments.php?id=174_0_1_0_C>
by Chris Seibold, Apple Matters
For those of us with more generalized needs Apple's minimal design actually increases the efficency of the product.

*** A Pink iPod For My Frugal Wife
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/26088.asp>
by Mr. Brown, Today
The funny thing about CDs these days is that at the rate we are consuming music as MP3 digital files, we are very likely to handle the CD just once.

*** Success Can Be Bitter, Apple
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04091610.htm>
by Seth Jayson, Motley Fool
Fans of free commerce should be on Apple's side in this dispute. To the Brits on board, I say: If you don't like the price, stop paying it. I guarantee that if you stop buying, Apple will lower the price.

[Review]

*** Be A Garage Mick Jagger
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040917/TECH17/TPEntertainment/TopStories>
by George Emerson, Globe And Mail
If you know how to use a mouse -- and even three-years-olds can -- then you can compose a song in GarageBand in less than 30 minutes.

[Sidetrack]

*** You Want To Put Your iMac Where?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/17/#20040917bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Here's a free idea. (They are usually a dime a dozen.) I call it the Freedom of Choice of Where You Put Your iMac G5.

Battery pack for the iMac G5, so that you get can have a very heavy laptop that you can move your iMac G5 easily anywhere in your house without needing to shut down the machine.

*** Is Bill Gates Innovative?
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/17/#20040917bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
I'd argue, to a certain degree, yes. After all, he is probably one of the major force in creating the software industry -- software as something that a company can sell on its own, rather than something that is given away free with the hardware.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Attack Of The Radio Clones
<http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,64984,00.html>
by Randy Dotinga, Wired News
Microsoft's new internet streaming service attempts to replicate terrestrial stations, without all the annoying chatter -- and without permission.

*** Amazon.com's Search Launch Triggers Second Thoughts
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1646766,00.asp>
by Matt Hicks, eWeek

[Linux]

*** Sun-Microsoft Deal Raises Open Office Questions
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/16/HNopenoffice_1.html>
by Robert McMillan, Infoworld
Microsoft on Wednesday said that it is looking for ways to work more closely with developers of the Open Office open source project while at the same time, apparently reserving the right to sue them, according to a legal agreement between Microsoft and Open Office's major sponsor, Sun, made public this week.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>

*** Mall's Finite Space Holds Infinite Dreams
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A21703-2004Sep14.html>
by Jacqueline Trescott, Wasington Post
Is there any space left on the Mall? The officials in charge of Washington's main savanna have hoisted a "No Vacancy" sign. Advocates of pending big museums beg to differ.

[Expressions]

*** The Sixth Borough
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/17/opinion/17foer.html?ex=1253160000&>
by Jonathan Safran Foer, New York Times
Once upon a time, New York City had a Sixth Borough. You won't read about it in any of hte history books, because there's nothing -- save for the circumstantial evidence in Central Park -- to prove that it was there at all. Which makes its existence very easy to dismiss.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** MediaCOrp And SPH Sign Deal To Merge Mass Market TV And Free Newspaper
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/107099/1/.html>
by Walter Fernandez, Channel NewsAsia
SPH will buy 20 percent stake in a new television company, MediaCorp TV Holdings, comprising of Channels 5, 8, TVMobile, U, I, and MediaCorp Studios. Channel U will continue, but Channel I is likely to be axed. SPH will also buy a 40 percent stake in MediaCorp Press, and merge Streats with Today.

[News]

*** Singapore May Post Double-Digit Growth In 2004
<http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=aaKULMLm2tqI&refer=asia>
by Bloomberg
Singapore' economy may expand more than 10 percent this year for the first time in a decade, Manpower Minister Ng Eng Hen said. That would give the city-state Asia's fastest growth rate, overtaking China.

[Opinion]

*** Right Of Assembly Doesn't Translate Into Having Power To Produce An Effect
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/forum/story/0,4386,273099,00.html?>
by Siow Jia Rui, Straits Times
Singapore must never abandon its fundamentals -- politcal stability, meritocracy and an incorruptible administration -- in order to safeguard a strong economy and a secure environment.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.