[MyAppleMenu] Sep 11, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 11 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Saturday, September 11, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Windows Games Play Well On Mac, But You Must Wait
<http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/9637613.htm>
by Dean Takahashi, San Jose Mercury News
As long as the Apple platform continues to deliver on the experience and the lag isn't too long, I forsee a thriving ecosystem for Mac gaming.

*** iPod Guilty Pleasures
<http://www.azcentral.com/ent/pop/articles/0911ipod11.html>
by Don Fernandez, Cox News Service
What's cringe-worthy to one might be sweet audio succor to another. What's hidden on an iPod can often strip down any bravado or boasts of highfalutin taste.

[News]

*** Jobs Returns, But Questions On Apple Succession Persist
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/36531.html>
by Blane Warrene, MacNewsWorld

*** Mike Leonard: Today's Talented Storyteller
<http://www.apple.com/pro/video/leonard/>
by Nancy Eaton, Apple
"Even though I think they know it exists in the industry, people were still pretty shocked to see how simple it was just doing it all on this tiny little piece of equipment."

*** Apple Stores, iPods Encourage Mac Attacks
<http://www.forbes.com/markets/2004/09/10/0910automarketscan07.html?partner=yahoo&referrer=>
by Forbes
"We believe the Street is underestimating the power of Apple's retail strategy."

*** Myst IV Revelation Hits Stores Sept. 28
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/10/revelation/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Myst IV Revelation retains the "node-based" game architecture of previous Myst titles, but like Myst III Exile, you can also rotate 360 degrees to get a better sense of your environment. It's chock-full of new ages to explore and new puzzles to solve, of course.

[Opinion]

*** Apple's New iMac G5 Deserves A Second Look
<http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/personaltechnology/2002032680_ptmacc11.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
Instead of simply building a box of circuits and ports, it has designed a piece of art that you want to use and keep near you.

*** iMac G5: Has Apple Lost Its Design Edge?
<http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/macdesign/imac-g5-apple-sony-36515.html>
by Mary Enderle, MacNewsWorld
The design seems rushed.

[Review]

*** Combustion 3: 3-D Compositing Program Features New Effects And Editing Capabilities
<http://www.macworld.com/2004/09/reviews/combustion3/index.php>
by Ben Long, Macworld
Combustion is a good choice if you're a beginner; however, because of the program's small user base, you won't get the plug-ins and support that you get with After Effects.

*** Mac OS X For The Traveler, Part 3
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/09/10/traveller.html>
by Francois Joseph de Kermadec, O'Reilly Network
Now that we have seen various aspects of physical security, it is time to delve into the issue of software security.

[Sidetrack]

*** Hose Clamps And Zip Ties Do Not A G4  Mount Make
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/11/#20040911bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
As Gizmodo<http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/hose-clamps-and-zip-ties-do-not-a-g4-mount-make-021124.php> demonstrates, how you can surprised when living next door to Danish artists.

*** Is It True? Gmail Is Running On Xserves
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/09/11/#20040911bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
According to Robert X. Cringely<http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040909.html>, Gamil runs on Apple XServes.

[Wintel]

*** Doing The Impossible With Longhorn
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/10/37OPstrategic_1.html>
by Jon Udell, Infoworld
It's funny how circumstances can change your perception of what's possible. A few months ago, key Microsoft architects were telling me that it would be impossible to decouple the Avalon presentation subsystem from the Longhorn OS. Now they're huddling in conference rooms trying to figure out how to do just that. It makes me wonder what else might turn out to be possible after all.

*** Gartner: Ignore Longhorn And Stick With XP
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/09/10/HNstickwithxp_1.html>
by Matthew Broersma, Techworld
Longhorn looks increasingly like a product intended to simply fill in a gap in the schedule.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[World]

*** From Cold War To Code Red, The Aura Of Fear
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A12910-2004Sep10.html>
by Lynne Duke, Washington Post
Back then, there were blacklists. Now, we've got no-fly lists. Then, we had the Doomsday Clock. Now, we've got the looming Code Red terror alert.

*** How To Remember, How To Forget
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/11/opinion/11marias.html?ex=1252641600&>
by Javier Marias, New York Times
there is no war against terrorism. There can be no such thing against an enemy that remains dormant most of the time and is almost never visible. It's simply another of life's inevitable troubles, and all we can do as we continue to combat it is repeat Cervantes's famous phrase, "Paciencia y barajar": "Have patience, and keep shuffling the cards."

[Life]

*** Growing Up Grieving, With Constant Reminders Of 9/11
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/11/nyregion/11kids.html?hp>
by Andrea Elliott, New York Times
All of the children of Sept. 11 are bound by at least one thing: the burden of mourning a private loss that is, at least for this country, historic in stature.

*** Will Power
<http://www.newyorker.com/critics/atlarge/?040913crat_atlarge>
by Adam Gopnik, New Yorker
Why Shakespeare remains the necessary poet.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.