[MyAppleMenu] Sep 2, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 2 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Thursday, September 2, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Apple: Open-Source Pedigree Will Protect Tiger
<http://news.com.com/Apple%3A+Open-source+pedigree+will+protect+Tiger/2100-1016_3-5341689.html>
by Jo Best, CNET News.com
Bertrand Serlet, senior vice president of software at Apple, said Wednesday that having a greater number of people keeping an eye on source code leads to better software security.

[News]

*** Is That Jobs In Your Pocket?
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,64796,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Leander Kahney, Wired News
While Steve Jobs is out of action convalescing from a cancer operation, a 12-inch, plastic facsimile of the Apple CEO is up and about evangelizing the Mac.

*** Ipodder Good Fodder For MP3 Heads
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18152>
by Doug Mohney, The Inqurier
Leave it to ex-MTV VJ and techno-prophet Adam Curry to come up with what might be The Next Big Thing for Apple's iPod. Mr Curry has done some quick and dirty hacking in AppleScript to create an application to automatically download new MP3 files from any of five different RSS feeds and copy them to playlists in the Mac iTunes application based upon the channel name. Connect an iPod, and the song/files load onto the device automatically.

*** Tiki-Mac
<http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofmac/index.blog?entry_id=429950>
by Leander Kahney, Cult Of Mac

*** Phil Schiller, Analysts Discuss The iMac G5
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/09/01/imacg5/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-0904>
by Jim Dalrymple, MacCentral
"It's meant to express a couple of tings -- it's not to hide behind the iPod or to downplay the Mac at all."

*** Schools' Cyber Deal Is Signed
<http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story.asp?Article=90617&Sn=BNEW&IssueID=27165>
by Manama, Gulf Daily News
A BD2.6 million contract was signed yesterday to take Bahrain's government schools into cyber space. Apple Centre will be responsible for providing, installing and operating the electronic system at all government schools of all education stages, in addition to training teachers on its uses.

*** Apple Expo Shows Credibility Boost For Server Solutions
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1641787,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000611>
by Andreas Pfeiffer, eWeek
Little by litte, Apple's server business is gaining credibility outside of the company's core business.

*** Replace iMac G5's Foot With An Arm Using Apple's iMac G5 VESA Mount Adapter Kit
<http://www.macdailynews.com/comments.php?id=P3364_0_1_0>
by MacDailyNews

*** New iMac Day One Reactions
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9515>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

*** Steve Jobs Angers Preservationists By Threatening To Tear Down Jackling Estate In Woodside, California
<http://www.archrecord.com/news/daily/archives/040901jobs.asp>
by Architectural Record

[Review]

*** Mac OS X Preview Has One Key Flaw
<http://www.syracuse.com/news/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1093943791137230.xml>
by Al Fasoldt, Syracuse Post-Standard
Apple did Mac OS X users a disservice when it designed the Preview application. Preview is powerful and can do almost anything an image viewer and converter ought to to. Note that I wrote "almost."

*** Apple iMac G5
<http://reviews.cnet.com/Apple_iMac_G5/4505-3118_7-31077383-2.html?tag=top>
by Rich Brown, CNET
We expect iMac's aesthetic appeal will draw in many of you who are in the market for a new general-use desktop.

[Wintel]

*** Microsoft, The Entertainer?
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2004/tc2004091_9412_tc119.htm>
by Jay Greene, BusinessWeek
Betting that video will give them an edge, Microsoft take aim at Apple's iPod. Their first attempts, however, could fall short.

*** Microsoft Opens MSN Music Store
<http://news.com.com/Microsoft+opens+MSN+Music+store/2100-1027_3-5342795.html?tag=html.alert>
by Jim Hu, CNET News.com
Microsoft on Wednesday released a beta version of its highly expected online music download service, in hopes of unseating Apple's dominance in the hot market.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** Instant Messaging Is Growing Up, Going To Work
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54261-2004Sep1.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Leslie Walker, Washington Post

*** Judges OK Garage Door Openers In Copyright Case
<http://news.com.com/2100-1028_3-5341625.html>
by Declan McCullagh, CNET News.com
A federal appeals court has reaffirmed what might seem to be obvious: replacement garage door openers are legal to sell.

*** Just Keep Clicking
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47989-2004Aug30.html?nav=rss_technology>
by Tarik El-Bashir, Washington Post
>From digital play analyzers in the coach's office and digital video cameras on the sidelines to PCs in the weight room and Sony PlayStation 2's in the locker room, technology is changing the way high school coaches and players prepare for games.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Cosmopolitan Back After 22-Year Ban
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,270562,00.html?>
by Straits Times
After a 22-year ban, Cosmopolitan has finally been given the go-ahead to hit Singapore bookshops from this month. Each copy must be shrink-wrapped and the cover must feature prominently the consumer advice 'Unsuitable for the young.'

[News]

*** Apology: Temasek
<http://www.economist.com/finance/displayStory.cfm?story_id=3150364>
by The Economist
We admit and acknowledge that the allegations are false and completely without foundation.

*** Speakers' Corner Turns Four
<http://www.todayonline.com/articles/25191.asp>
by Tor Ching Li, Today
Regular speaker commemorates anniversary with marathon 'rally'.

*** Oct 2005 Deadline To Fix Unsafe Windows
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/topstories/story/0,4386,270495,00.html?>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
Aluminium rivets must be replaced with steel ones if they are more than five years old; penalty is a fine or jail term.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.