[MyAppleMenu] Oct 21, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 21 13:15:00 EDT 2004

*** Hacked By An iPod
<http://www.engadget.com/entry/6280854653231520/>
Ryan Block, Engadget

A recently discovered security flaw in the FireWire spec lets a connected device gain elevated access and/or control of any kind of computer without the perpetrator having to do anything mor ethan plug in, say, an iPod.

*** Apple's New Retail Strategy? Mini-Me
<http://www.business2.com/b2/web/articles/0,17863,713848,00.html>
Erick Schonfeld, Business 2.0

"They're going after people who aren't looking for an Apple experience."

*** Filemaker Pro 7, Developer 7 Updated To v3
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/20/filemaker/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
Peter Cohen, MacCentral

[Opinion]

*** The Audio War
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/story/0,3605,1331527,00.html>
Jack Schofield, The Guardian

The question that has already achieved cliche status is whether Apple will be able to maintain its overwhelming share of the protected digital music market when it expands beyond the minority of well-off and "cool" people into the mass market.

[Review]

*** For Portable Players At Rest, Life Beyond Earbuds
<http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/21/technology/circuits/21basi.html?oref=login&8hpib>
Wilson Rothman, New York Times

*** The Dual 2.5-GHz Power Mac G5: Unadulterated Power
<http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,96796,00.html>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

There's no doubt this is the fastest Mac I've ever used. Having said that, even I wondered at times if this desktop machine doesn't pack more power than even I need. OK, I've thoght about it. It does offer more speed than I can use. But I still want one.

*** Getting A Grip On Yourself
<http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/20/1097951757359.html>
Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald

Surprisngly, many Mac users have yet to employ iSync to the full extend of its power, or even use it at all.

[Wintel]

*** Windows Users Want Results, Not Ballmer Promises
<http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1680772,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594>
John Pallatto, eWeek

Windows users said actions speak louder than words when it comes to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer's promise that Microsoft will fix the various security vulnerabilities in his company's computing platform.

*** Microsoft Scales Back Passport Ambitions
<http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/10/20/HNmsppscaleback_1.html>
Joris Evers, IDG News Service

.Net Passport identification system now will be limited to Microsoft's own online offerings and those of close partners.

*** Singapore Dumps Microsoft, Goes Open Source
<http://www.techweb.com/wire/ebiz/50900190>
TechWeb

The Defense Ministry of Singapore, the latest government agency to spurn Microsoft for open source, said this week that it's turning to the OpenOffice application suite rather than updating Microsoft Office.

*** The End Of Programmers As We Know It?
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/5771>
Ming Chow, O'Reilly Network

Are programmers and software engineers going to be extinct?

*** Skype, Voiceglo Say Consumers See The Light
<http://news.com.com/Skype%2C+Voiceglo+say+consumers+see+the+light/2100-7352_3-5419075.html?part=rss&tag=5419075&subj=news.7352.20>
Ben Charny, CNET News.com

*** Sex, Politics, Religion, And Egypt
<http://www.reason.com/links/links101404.shtml>
Charles Paul Freund, Reason

Want to know how complicated the Mideast can be? Go to the movies.

[Expressions]

*** Iphigenia's Dissent
<http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml%3Fi%3D20041025%26s%3Dpoem102504>
Kathryn Starbuck, New Republic

*** Singapore's StarHub Raises Cable TV Prices
<http://sg.biz.yahoo.com/041021/15/3nwsy.html>
Dow Jones

StarHub will from Nov 3 charge S$15.75 per month for three sports channels, nearly double the current S$8.40 price.

*** Singapore's Central Bank Fines Three
<http://www.forbes.com/business/manufacturing/feeds/ap/2004/10/21/ap1601792.html>
Associated Press

Singapore's central bank said Thursday it has fined three employees of the government's secretive investment fund for insider trading involving shares of a Japanese financial company.

*** Election Fever Hits Some Opposition Parties
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/sub/singapore/story/0,5562,280338,00.html?>
Azhar Khlalid and Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

Election fever appears to have infected some opposition parties, with symptoms such as more intense ground activities recruitment drives for candidates. And this has not gone undetected by PAP.

[Technology]