[MyAppleMenu] Oct 19, 2004

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Oct 19 13:15:00 EDT 2004

MyAppleMenu Newsletter
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/index.html>
Mac News for Mac Users

[Top Stories]

*** Apple Announces Souped-Up iBooks
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/19/newibooks/>
by MacMinute
Apple today announced that it has unveiled its fastest, most affordable iBook G4 ever, featuring built-in AirPort Extreme across the line and prices starting at US$999.

[News]

*** There Goes The Neighbourhood: Sims 2 Moves To The Mac
<http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=10299>
by Jean-Luc Dinsdale, Inside Mac Games
After months of speculation, Texas-based game publishers Aspyr Media have officially announced that they've licensed the award-winning god game, The Sims 2, and are bringing it to a Mac-Near-You.

*** Apple Adds 1.8GHz Model To Power Mac G5 Line
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/19/newpowermac/>
by MacMinute
Apple today announced the addition of a 1.8 GHz single processor Power Mac G5 desktop priced at US$1,499 to its 64-bit Power Mac G5 line.

*** Apple Updates Xserve RAID Storage System
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/19/xserve/>
by MacMinute

*** Laptop Student The Teacher To The Parent
<http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/1074739.shtml>
by Keith Edwards, Kennebec Journal
Parents of Hodgkins Middle School students became students themselves Monday, in a night of training on the state-supplied laptop computers.

*** Apple 'Will Satisfy' Xmas iPod Demand
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9929&Page=1&pagePos=3>
by Macworld UK
Apple is reported to have cranked up iPod production in time for the Christmas shopping season, hoping to avoid the iPod shortages that marred last winter.

*** iPod 'Product Of The Year' -- What? HiFi Magazine
<http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9932&Page=1&pagePos=5>
by Macworld UK
Apple's iPod has claimed yet another award -- this time from What? HiFi magazine.

*** Apple Stock Continues To Climb
<http://www.macminute.com/2004/10/18/aapl/>
by MacMinute

*** RSS For Mac OS X Roundtable
<http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000337.html>
by DrunkenBlog
The first DrunkenBlog Roundtable, with five of the best RSS aggregators available for Mac OS X.

*** Special Apple Music Event Planned For Oct 26
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/18/event/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral
Select members of the press on Monday received an invitation to a special Apple event at 10AM Pacific Time on October 26. "Steve Jobs, Bono and The Edge invite you to attend a special event," reads the top of the invitation.

See Also : Bono's iPod
<http://www.forbes.com/technology/ebusiness/2004/10/18/cx_mm_1018aapl.html>
by Matthew Miller, Forbes
Rock band U2 has cut a deal with Apple to sell custom iPods promoting the band's forthcoming album. Sources close to the group say the U2 edition of the popular digital music player will come preloaded with the band's new album along with portionsof the Irish supergroup's 25-year catalogue.

*** Corel Ships Painter IX
<http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/18/painter/index.php/?lsrc=mcrss-1004>
by Peter Cohen, MacCentral

*** CherryOS Not BS, Author Says
<http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,65368,00.html?tw=macintouch>
by Leander Kahney, Wired News
Despite being widely accused of code theft, fraud and other chicanery, the author of the controversial CherryOS Mac emulator is sticking to his guns: It's all on the up and up, says programmer Arben Kryeziu.

*** Apple Stuck In Its Niche
<http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/tech/kcswanson/10188087.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA>
by K.C. Swanson, TheStreet.com
For all the democratic appeal of the iPod, Apple still sees its computers as premium products.

[Opinion]

*** Why The Small White Box Is Boosting Online Advertising
<http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/articles/2004/10/19/smallwhitebox>
by Olivier Wolf, Media Week
You might not think the music industry has much to do with the world of advertising. There are no ads on your iPod and no commercial breaks on your favourite CDs.

*** Mac OS X And Java 1.5
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/wlg/5759>
by Justin Gehtland, O'Reilly Network

*** Apple Computer Customer Support -- How To Weasel Out Of A Warranty
<http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=988>
by Keith Cowing, Your Space Reference
A screw comes loose from my one month old computer and causes damage. Apple then cites the damage as violation of my warranty -- even though a flaw in the machine caused the damage in the first plce... Apple can find a way to get out of a warranty situation -- however slimy -- they will do so.

*** Don't Be A Dork
<http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/todayatplaylist/2004/10/dork/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
As with the Walkman before it, the iPod is a brand -- and, like Kleenex and Xerox, nearly a generic one at that. Regardless of how many features you pack into your MusicLamer 200, that's a tough advantage to overcome.

[Review]

*** Microsoft Office 2004 For Mac Service Pack 1 Squishes Bugs
<http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=07858>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

*** Adobe Updates Its Easy Photo Fix
<http://washingtontimes.com/technology/20041018-095834-5720r.htm>
by Mark Kellner, Washington Times
This is not the full Photoshop that is used daily by professionals the world over. It's not supposed to be. But it is a very, very useful program for those of us who want to take care of our vacation pictures, or touch up heirlooms from the family album. I highly recommend it.

*** Net Service Offers More Than Ever
<http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/tech/weekly/2854315>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
I consider .Mac a bargain at $99 a year. If you use even half of what it offers, I bet you'll feel the same.

*** Griffin RadioShark
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/18/review_griffin_radioshark/>
by Tony Smith, The Register
The radioShark is now a firm fixture on my desktop. I can't wait for a digital edition.

*** Software Bargains Week
<http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2004/10/bargainweek/index.php>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
We're delcaring this Software Bargains Week at Macworld, and have rounded up some of our favorite utilities that you can use to perk up or perfect your Mac without having ot break into your piggy bank. Today, programs that bolster the Mac's creative powers are int he spotlight.

[Sidetrack]

*** It Is Still True
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/19/#20041019bg000003>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Three years ago, Farhad Manjoo wrote: "Apple needs only to scribbe a note<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,47710,00.html> to reporters and, immediately, there are rumblings about something big afoot. The rumor sites abound with speculation, and Mac fans strain their heads to put their fingers on Apple's next dream machine."

Three years later, as demonstrated once again, this is still true.

*** Saving Up For An iPod Mini
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/19/#20041019bg000001>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
If you know me, you'd know that I'm saving up to purchase an iPod mini this coming December. Why the mini? Because it's small, it's light, and it will work great with my Macintosh.

So, I'm having mixed feelings about Apple releasing new iPods between now and then.

On the one hand, of course I want the latest and greatest, so if Apple releases new iPods, I will get the latest and the greatest.

On the other hand, if Apple does release new iPods, chances are, there will be product shortages and waiting lists and -- worse -- later availability outside of the U.S. just like what happened to the minis. Which means I will not be getting the latest and the greatest until later.

Sigh.

*** Rumor Today: The Unmarked Boxes Are Here
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/19/#20041019bg000002>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
ifo Apple Store<http://www.ifoapplestore.com/> discovered that new products are "being delivered to... retail stores in unmarked boxes, with instructions not to display them until notified."

[Wintel]

*** These Days, Microsoft Isn't So Scary
<http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2004/tc20041019_2362_tc120.htm>
by Alex Salkever, BusinessWeek
Rivals still fear Redmond and its deep pockets, but its clout is diminishing. The decision to unveil Office's source code is the proof.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/tomorrow/index.html>
Emerging Technology. Innovative Applications. New Economy.

[News]

*** New Screening Technology Is Nigh
<http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,65366,00.html?tw=rss.TOP>
by Ryan Singel, Wired News
Machines built to find weapons hidden in clothes or to sniff out bomb residue may be coming to an airport or train station near you, if transportation officials ever deploy technologies now being tested.

*** The Internet's Next Big Step
<http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/10/18/wireless.broadband/>
by Michael Ludden, CNN
The Internet is about to take its next big leap. Imagine being instantly connected anytime you opened the lid of your laptop, anywhere.

*** Printers Betray Document Secrets
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3753886.stm>
by BBC News
US scientists have discovered that every desktop printer has a signature style that it invisibly leaves on all the documents in produces.

[Internet]

*** Investors Cutting The Edge Of CNET
<http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2004/mft04101814.htm?source=mpmftlist>
by Tom Taulli, Motley Fool
The results were strong, but they were a letdown for investors.

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/reader/index.html>
The other things in life

[Expressions]

*** September 26, 2001
<http://slate.msn.com/id/2106313/fr/rss/>
by Martha Greenwald, Slate

<http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/index.html>
Life in the city

[Top Stories]

*** Amnesty Challenges Singapore On Executions
<http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=6535668>
by Reuters
Rights group Amnesty challenged Singapore Tuesday to disclose the total number of executions this year, saying the wealthy island has put more people to death since 1991 than any other country on a per capita basis.

[Ramblings]

*** Straits Times Site Now Requires Registration
<http://www.myapplemenu.com/2004/10/19/#20041019bg000004>
by Heng-Cheong Leong
Which means that for any given story, I'll more likely to link to Channel News Asia, Today, or other free web sites out there, all things being equal.

I haven't taken a close look at the new Straits Times (print) today, but my first glance gave me the impression is more of old wine in new bottle.

[News]

*** Singapore Defends Anti-Money Laundering Efforts Following US Report
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/112379/1/.html>
by AFP
Singapore defended its efforts to curb money laundering and the flow of terrorists' funds following a US State Department report that listed the country as a hub for financial crime.

*** Singapore Economy To Enter Period Of Moderate Growth: MAS
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific_business/view/112355/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's economic growth will moderate next year after an "unprecedented" and unsustainable four quarters of double-digit expansion, the central bank said on Tuesday in its bi-annual report.

*** Malaysia Welcomes Singapore's Willingness To Improve Bilateral Ties
<http://www.vnagency.com.vn/NewsA.asp?LANGUAGE_ID=2&CATEGORY_ID=33&NEWS_ID=122873>
by VNA
Malaysian Foreign Minister Syed Hamid Albar stated that Malaysia's intention was to see that all outstanding issues could be resolved in a way that would bring mutual benefit for both countries.

*** Elderly Cholera Victim Dies
<http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/latest/story/0,4390,278802,00.html>
by Straits Times
The cholera outbreak in Singapore has claimed its first victim.

MyAppleMenu is edited by Heng-Cheong Leong <mailto:webmaster at myapplemenu.com>. Copyright (C) 1996 - 2004 Heng-Cheong Leong. All rights reserved.